1. 1. On a scale of 1 to 5

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

d974a367.jpg

The final challenge for me is to resist buying another HP set (and reviewing it) but for Harry it is to find the Philosopher's Stone before Professor Quirrel does. This set can take you right into the action with it's Holographic picture, and revolving door. Stop He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named from gaining eternal life and destroying the world as we know it.

Name: The Final Challenge

Set Number: 4702

Theme: Lego Harry Potter

Sub Theme: The Philosopher's Stone

Year: 2001

Pieces: 60

Minifigs: 2

Recommended Age: 6 - 10

Price: AU$29.99 US$16 - 30, GBP 8.99

Links: Brickset Peeron Photobucket

The Box:

A fairly large box for a 60 piece set, measuring 19cm x 14cm. The cover art shows the playability of the set, with the revolving door in action and Quirrel about to be trapped by the spiders web.

75c29990.jpg

The back cover of the box, "just imagine..." Just imagine what exactly? The alternative builds are somewhat confusing to me. Harry (with his cape on upside down) and Quirrel together using the spiders web to fling Grey things into a container??? Is this an arcade game? And then Harry with an telescope anti-aircraft dementor gun??? Just imagine indeed! :wacko:

5c199d41.jpg

On the top of the box there is a great action shot of Harry and Quirrel playing 'invisible' football. Harry is quite obviously cheating with his wand out.

b4e8d52d.jpg

The Contents:

All the contents of the box, including 1 instruction booklet, 2 bags, a loose base piece, door frame, roof pyramid and the Holographic Sticker.

41797da2.jpg

The Booklet:

A length ways booklet, showing the same picture as the cover art, but with a little extra of the brick owl archway seen on most HP sets.

4263201d.jpg

A random page of the instructions, showing steps 8 and 9. There is only sixteen steps all up.

033a98ea.jpg

The Pieces:

All the pieces set out, this set has quite a few special or rare pieces, including the Sand Green Pyramid, the revolving door and frame and the spiders web.

aa59e224.jpg

The rest of the pieces, including many 1x1 hollow studs, and a red gem piece.

15c93ad0.jpg

Pieces of Interest:

The Philosopher's Stone, or a TransRed Faceted Gem! this pieces is found in 62 different Lego sets as far back as 1998. So it is not rare to say the least but it is a nice piece to have around.

02e60003.jpg

The Cloaks, this set contains two cloaks, one is plain black and another black with silver stars. The latter wasn't put in the cardboard properly and is all bent over :angry: . Not sure if you can iron this piece :tongue: .

14b28c05.jpg

Fluro Orange Spider and Spider's web, this web piece is quite old but was released in two of last years 2008 Indy sets, one in White and one in Dark Grey.

1785e5a8.jpg

The Black Bat has been around since 1997, and is also available in Dark Stone of Dark Grey. I love this piece but do wish there was an upside down hanging version of it.

07dcac7d.jpg

This Pyramid piece in Green is exclusively available in four HP sets. It is quite a well formed piece, big, but not 4+ looking. Very good for MOCs.

7f70fb2b.jpg

A Black Owl, the Owl pieces comes in nearly all of the HP sets in various colours, it is available in the odd Belville set also.

c5526f8a.jpg

The Holographic Picture... apparently this is a sticker but for the life of me I couldn't find how to un-stick it. So it is double sided taped on at the moment. This piece is awesome, I am super excited to see the effort that TLG put into this piece. Harry is standing still, then as you turn the pieces left or right to see him pull the Philosopher's Stone out of his pocket just like in the movie. Brilliant! Makes for extra playability.

0a8c870e.jpg158d5505.jpgddba5745.jpg

The Minifigures:

This set has a yellow Harry in the old Grey Gryffindor uniform used only in 2001 and 2002. this is the old Harry face as well with his eyebrows behind his glasses. Which brings me to an interesting point about the Holographic picture. Notice anything?

f0316828.jpg343e1c1e.jpg

Quirrel. Ahhhh Quirrel. :wub: What a great (and exclusive) minifig we have here. Just look at that Turban His torso is great also, with such detail, see how the 'rest' of his turban wraps around his shoulders just like in the movie. There is no print on the back of his torso which is a shame, as he is used half the time from the back due to his double sided head.

f8b806a6.jpg323f19c6.jpg

slatero-quirrel.jpg

I've added a shot of Quirrel close up, just look at his features, this is a great face. I just love that mouth. When you turn his head around we have Voldemort, what a hideous creature he is. TLG have done justice to that fact, with the slits for a nose and the evil red eyes. Very cool indeed!

cf31895d.jpg51f4c4f6.jpg

Harry and Quirrel with all accessories

bf4f406b.jpg

The Build:

the first step of the build is to place the stone and the Holographic picture on the Revolving Door Trapezoid Base and the insert it into the Revolving Door Frame.

3fc49f84.jpg

This shot is showing the stone side of the door, It has a very reflective and easily marked surface. (beware of fingerprints)

8f01a3a0.jpg

Add a few pillars and the handles for the Web.

4613ffc3.jpg

Here we have four Grey inverted slopes, which are the base for the pyramid to sit on.

1bce95b4.jpg

The Finished Product:

Although there aren't may pieces the height given to this set makes it feel larger than it actually is.

a7f18fc4.jpg

A side shot of the set,

128da5af.jpg

Top view of the set, there is sufficent space to have the Web hanging down from the top of the set instead on laying on the ground.

40a54f80.jpg

The complete set.

926e2760.jpg

The Final Verdict:

Design: 7/10 This set is quite small, the original scene in the movie took place in a massive underground room, I think a little more effort could have been put into the size of this set. But as usual, you get wide range of colours and pieces.

Build: 9 /10 Simple, easily done, the non sticky sticker was the only difficulty I had.

Playability: 8 /10 A few animals, the spiders web, the revolving door and the Quirrel/Voldemort head make this set easy to play with.

Minifigures: 10/10 Harry is a great Minifig to have, and this rare Quirrel fig with a Purple turban, great torso and double sided head is just too good. Definitely worth getting for him alone.

Price: 8/10 This is the only set with the Quirrel fig so it is going to be a little pricey nowadays, but you get some rare pieces so I think it is quite a fair price.

Overall: 8/10 I'd love to give it more because of the Quirrel fig but the lack of pieces lets this set down. Even by making the base a slightly larger one this set could have been so much more realistic.

Just For Fun:

I just couldn't resist using Quirrel's face for a female, that mouth... it's just too luscious. What do you think? Drag Queen or Elegant Lady? :wink:

199162a6.jpg

Just For Fun:

I just couldn't resist using Quirrel's face for a female, that mouth... it's just too luscious. What do you think? Drag Queen or Elegant Lady? :wink:

199162a6.jpg

drag queen :tongue: good reveiw :thumbup: why does the turban have a hole in it?

why does the turban have a hole in it?

All of the released turban pieces do. You can stick a plume into the hole, although none of the official sets ever used that technique. I know that because I own every set that comes with a turban, which means this and two Orient Expedition sets. But there's more in the upcoming Indiana Jones sets!

Anyway, this set is nice for its parts, but quite impractical and quirky otherwise. It fits well with the rest of the early HP-sets, but doesn't really connect to any of them.