Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

MOTEE 6B

*Jim, I was trying to distract the mayor so you could do a quick search of the car before joinin us. Never mind! The Mayor might not have left you alone anyway. However clearly the car is important in some way... maybe there's something in the glovebox or trunk?*

*Sorry about that, Schmelt. Arin is rightly suspicious about that car. Now I don't feel safe touching it...*

Feel free to pop the hood of the car if you would like, Jim. If you think the outside looks good, wait until you see her engine.

So I take it we'll be looking at the town hall first? Lets circle the building so you all can get a good look at the architecture of this beautiful building. They definitely don't build these like they used to.

After that, would you like to see the ground floor first, or skip right to the second floor? I would suggest looking at both floors if you want to see everything.

Alright, fine, I will take a look. But you open the hood, I insist.

*lowers voice slightly* As the mayor, I do have control over certain things, but most of the town's concerns are handled by a Town Council, which holds the real power around here. They have been known to use fear to control the town and its inhabitants. I can't give you any details on who is in the council, but you need to be careful about who you trust around here. I have visions of making this town great again, but most of my ideas are forcefully rejected. I'm not entirely sure why, but the council and I aren't on good terms at the moment.

Who would the town council be? There are only twelve residents here, right?

After that, would you like to see the ground floor first, or skip right to the second floor? I would suggest looking at both floors if you want to see everything.

Let's visit both floors then. That's logical. It certainly is a fine building, and so well-maintained! Perhaps you could point out any specific interesting details as we ascend, or would you prefer we search for ourselves?

Howard we are actually forcing to stay in town right now. Due to his condition, he is not allowed to travel alone, and as you might understand no one wants to be responsible for him.

Yes... yes... I understand completely. Personally I think that dog that ran up the train made more sense than him, even with its weird barkings :look:

...most of the town's concerns are handled by a Town Council, which holds the real power around here. They have been known to use fear to control the town and its inhabitants. I can't give you any details on who is in the council, but you need to be careful about who you trust around here.

That is indeed most interesting. Can you tell us how many sit on the cabal Council? Perhaps that will give us a better idea of what we're dealing with. In what areas did you conflict with them? I can see you are a very civic-minded man so I'm curious about what changes you wanted to make that they disagreed with. I wouldn't want to test your hospitality by being too intrusive with my questions, though, since you have been so kind to us.

At this time, you can return to the car for a further inspection, or continue up the stairs to the offices on the 2nd floor. I need specifics.

We can go back to the car, I guess, but I'm not touching it. Jim, you seem such a very brave and courageous man. Perhaps, you should be the one to inspect closer. OK FINE! I'll help. Jim, you are the team leader.. what do you think we should do?

At this time, you can return to the car for a further inspection, or continue up the stairs to the offices on the 2nd floor. I need specifics.

I've expressed my preference but I'll leave it up to the Team Leader. That is his role, after all. I also doubt we'd have seen a pic of the little car unless it was of some importance. What say ye, Arin?

...Okay, let's look at the car. Mr. Brown, if you would, please, open up the hood.

I'd also like you to open the glove box and trunk, Mr. Mayor, please. I'd like to remove any documents that I find.

Everyone stares blindly at the hood of the little yellow classic, like frightened deer in the headlights... :oh:

Right, I'll open the hood for you. Urm... should I open the glove compartment too? :look: You can look at everything, but I probably won't let you keep any of it. I guess it depends on what it is.

That is indeed most interesting. Can you tell us how many sit on the cabal Council? Perhaps that will give us a better idea of what we're dealing with. In what areas did you conflict with them? I can see you are a very civic-minded man so I'm curious about what changes you wanted to make that they disagreed with. I wouldn't want to test your hospitality by being too intrusive with my questions, though, since you have been so kind to us.

I can't tell you much about the council I'm afraid. Partly because I don't know everything, and also, there are eyes are ears everywhere. :look: I believe there are three or four council members, but can't give you names. They are very secretive in all they do, almost like a society of Free Masons or something.

I love the classic feel this town has been able to maintain, and would like to add new developments while keeping this atmosphere. Unfortunately, building this classic style can be unpractical and expensive, and the council doesn't like that. I think they may be trying to bring a factory into town, which would be awful.

Right, I'll open the hood for you. Urm... should I open the glove compartment too? :look: You can look at everything, but I probably won't let you keep any of it. I guess it depends on what it is.

Yes, open it all. Just remember Jim Butcher is standing at the front of the line :grin:

A factory? What kind of factory? Wouldn't that go against the 'splendid isolation' doctrine of the town? Maybe GM is relocating to Willoughby to pay hillbillies 2c an hour to assemble cars....

How long has it been since there has been an election in this town? It would seem that if 3 or 4 people don't like you, Mayor, that you would no longer be in office. I can see why you wouldn't want a factory, but it might increase the population and revenue of this town. This would in turn increase the chances of preserving some of the classic parts of Willoughby.

Let's look at the car! I also see Jim at the front. He is the leader afterall.

You know, I too am quite curious about what's in this car.

Maybe GM is relocating to Willoughby to pay hillbillies 2c an hour to assemble cars....

Now that would be something, although I think that is a bit too expensive for them.....

Mayor Brown opens the hood of the car. It's a... a.... a "4-banger" engine. This car is obviously at least 30 years old, but yet it looks like it has never been driven.

Continuing the brief show of his car, he then opens the passenger door. It opens without even a squeak and you notice the fine Corinthian lether in red, yellow, and black colors.

He then opens the glove box as requested. Inside is an auto registration that expired in 1979. The mayor chuckles, "don't really need her registered belonging to Willoughby. We only have a few other cars on our roads. Can you imagine? a town without traffic or pollution. That's Willoughby"!

Is the car perchance registered in the name of Elizabeth Rose Thornton? :look: Anyone else we may have heard of?

Do we want to look in the trunk as well, or would that be too much nervous tension for one day? :cry_sad: I'm still experiencing palpitations from the expertly managed build-up about the hood and glovebox...

Or should we just move on to the ground floor of the town hall building?

(At this rate and with such a fearsome reluctance to touch anything, it is quite possible we're going to die of natural causes before we hit the jail or hotel!)

Is the car perchance registered in the name of Elizabeth Rose Thornton? :look: Anyone else we may have heard of?

The car is registered in the name of William Brown.

The sun has set. It is now dark outside, with the exception of a tall classic-style lamp post outside the door to the town hall.

A factory? What kind of factory? Wouldn't that go against the 'splendid isolation' doctrine of the town?

Yes, that's how I feel too! :cry_happy: I'm not entirely sure what type of factory... perhaps one that specializes in building materials? Whatever type, the way I see it a factory will only bring pollution and other unwanted things to this town, disturbing the peacefulness some have worked hard to maintain.

How long has it been since there has been an election in this town? It would seem that if 3 or 4 people don't like you, Mayor, that you would no longer be in office.

The last election was almost a year ago I believe, but I've kind of lost count. The election in Willoughby is mostly just for ceremonial purposes, as I've been the only candidate for several years now. I admit I enjoy the position. I just make sure run any decisions by the council, don't argue with their judgment, and everything is pleasant. It's only recently that we've begun disagreeing.

Now, it's getting dark and you all are probably tired. We can cross over to the hotel, do a quick sweep of it if you'd like, spend the night, and then come back here in the morning. Or, if you'd prefer, we can stay here. At the rate we're moving, we'd probably be here all night, but then we could go over to the hotel and get some sleep in the morning. What do you want to do?

Now, it's getting dark and you all are probably tired. We can cross over to the hotel, do a quick sweep of it if you'd like, spend the night, and then come back here in the morning. Or, if you'd prefer, we can stay here. At the rate we're moving, we'd probably be here all night, but then we could go over to the hotel and get some sleep in the morning. What do you want to do?

I vote to go to the hotel and rest up - I am also looking forward to sampling some of the cuisine of this fair town! I hope my pony is OK back on the train, I should have thought to leave out some straw :look:

Also, if any of us are murdered in our beds tonight, it's not like we'll wake up tomorrow feeling we've missed out on anything!

Does that make sense? I think it makes sense... What say Arin & Jimbee?

Also, Mr Mayor, I know it is beyond the realms of possibility to tell us who is on the Council, but do they have any way of identifying themselves? Like a secret handshake? Or a funny walk? Or they all talk like Pirates on alternate Thursdays? And do you think they have any hostile intent to us newfolk?

Jimbee ( :laugh:) votes for the hotel, too. I apologize for slowing everything down so much with indecision. One more thing, though, I would like to see the date of the car registration, please. It could be useful information. We'll return here tomorrow morning and finish up at the jail. In the meantime, before we get some rest, we can inspect the hotel.

By the way, Mr. Brown, who runs the hotel?

Jimbee ( :laugh:) votes for the hotel, too. I apologize for slowing everything down so much with indecision. One more thing, though, I would like to see the date of the car registration, please. It could be useful information. We'll return here tomorrow morning and finish up at the jail. In the meantime, before we get some rest, we can inspect the hotel.

By the way, Mr. Brown, who runs the hotel?

The date of the car registration is 1979, isn't it? That's what the Mayor said... :look:

Blooper! Sorry, I just have a hard time thinking when I get blown up. :wink::tongue:

Blooper! Sorry, I just have a hard time thinking when I get blown up. :wink::tongue:

Yes, it's hard to coexist in two simultaneous space/ time locations.

Hard... or suspicious?

*narrows eyes and checks Jimbee for signs of ectoplasm*

I'd like to go back to the hotel for a nice rest as well. What are the sleeping arrangements?

The group has decided to go to the hotel and attempt to get a good nights rest, as well as possible in the strange town of Willoughby.

After leaving the town hall with relief that the Mayor's car was not booby trapped, the group of six enter the small 2-floor hotel. The Mayor indicates that the Willoughby Hotel is under renovation and is actually closed, but since they are guests in the town, they may stay the night. "It may not be the best place right now, but it should provide you a warm bed and a relaxing evening", the Mayor adds.

Inside is a small guest counter with a worn guest register. The mayor recommends that each of the group take a moment and sign in "just for the record" before selecting one of eight rooms within the hotel. "Please write your name and select a room number (1-8). I believe room #6 is the only room that you can't stay in (renovation and all)", the Mayor instructs.

I'd like to stay in room number 3. Do we stay alone or can I bring Schmelt with me?