Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Infared Link for PF Trains

traintech1.jpg

I just stumbled upon another new part on Lego SAH that is for Mindstorms NXT, but by the description, can be used for trains.

It's called an Infared Link

infaredlink.jpg

Here's the part description:

Infrared Link Sensor for MINDSTORMS® NXT!

Enhance your MINDSTORMS® NXT creations with an Infrared Link Sensor! With 3 NXT-G blocks, you’ll be able to build robots that can communicate with other devices, including the MINDSTORMS RCX, LEGO IR remote-controlled trains, and LEGO Power Functions motors.

- Includes 1 Infrared Link Sensor.

- Does not include connector cable.

- This is the individual component, and does not include the NXT Intelligent Brick, software or any accessories. It requires the complete LEGO® MINDSTORMS® NXT set (#8527) for use.

And the LINK to Lego SAH.

For those of you "techies" on the board and/or train fans, how might this work with Lego PF Trains?

I don't know, maybe when a train goes far enough another train starts moving? :sceptic:

I think it is a infrared transmitter/receiver so that it is possible to control your train with the NXT brick.

Our member pe668 did just that with his LEGO layout. Well similar anyway, he uses RCX to stop his trains at the station. Google 'Bodville' for more. :pir-wink:

I just stumbled upon another new part on Lego SAH that is for Mindstorms NXT, but by the description, can be used for trains.

It's called an Infared Link

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/brickster4/...infaredlink.jpg

For those of you "techies" on the board and/or train fans, how might this work with Lego PF Trains?

The IR Link sensor allows the NXT to send any of the IR codes understood by either RC trains or PF trains, to do more for PF than the range of codes available from a PF handset. For maximum flexibility you should use NXC / NBC to program the NXT and download the relevant IR Link sensor code modules for those languages from the HiTechnic website.

A normal PF handset does temporary forward, temporary back and stop.

A PF train handset does permanent accelerate and decelerate and stop.

An IR Link sensor can do "set speed to n/8", reverse, "set C1 and C2 lines to any combination temporarily or permanently" or any other code built into the IR receiver.

The main advantage for trains is that you can start your PF-enabled Emerald Night on speed setting 3 from rest, to get it going at the speed you want it to run at without having to send 3 commands.

You can also use it well if you use the C1 and C2 outputs individually.

I have a thought that the speed setting of each train at a particular point on the layout could be set by using an RFID sensor with tags on each train to recognise each train, then sending the appropriate speed setting codes with the IR Link sensor. This might be especially useful out of sight in a tunnel, to catch any trains that are going too fast. I would intend to use the system on entry to a fiddle yard for train storage sidings and on any change of slope. Such automatic operation would leave me to talk to the public, which makes an exhibition more enjoyable for both me and them.

Mark

Aww man! I just made an NXT bot, all of my last 3 posts have been about, and I think I might enter it in a town-wide competition. If I could get some help,. would this thingymabbober-doohicky be able to screw with other peoples robots? Like if someone was using RX could I make it go ker-sploosh?

That would be a little mean though... :tongue: