Captain Blackmoor

Le Fourageux, French third-rate ship of the line, minifig scale!

Wow, you're doing an amazing job here buddy! :thumbup:

The interior on the gundecks looks great, i'd go with tan for the decks.

I do have a few pointers though:

The gunports are too big, ideally they would be a 3x3 plate with 6 studs in between them.

The sides are straight when seen from above, where a ship slightly curves out to the middle, perhaps you can try and integrate that into it?

If possible i'd change the red hull for a brown one, to get a more realistic look.

I don't really like the black and white checkered floor in the cabin as there would be a deck there. You would fin small carpets in there.

Just my 2 cents. :pir-wink:

I don't really like the black and white checkered floor in the cabin as there would be a deck there. You would fin small carpets in there.

Just my 2 cents. :pir-wink:

Actually, There was:

greatcab.jpg

They would not want sailors in the cabin to swab the decks all day.

Interesting, first time i see that.

Do you know from which ship it is and wheither it is an original or replica?

It is from the British Frigate "HMS Trincomalee". I made a LDD Moc of it.

Also here is a deck from the HMS Victorys Cabin:

453599820_5ae6285491.jpg

Thank you all for the very nice feedback! :pir-sweet:

Some questions answered:

The black and white squares on the floor are based on the HMS Victory's floor.

I will make the middle of the ship a little bit thicker, but I'm not yet in the middle of the ship with the build.

The ship will have about 24-26 guns each side. It's a good idea indeed to make the gunports 3x3 instead of 4x4. But 6 studs between them leads to the fact the ship will have too less guns for a fourth rate. :pir-classic:

There will be a kitchen in there, along with a cook indeed.

The stern will be even more detailed later on, this is the untrimmed version.

I've made some good progress on the ship till now, this was probably the last update this month or even longer. I'm on vacantion, a job and threre will be big parties! :pir-blush:

It also costs a lot of money and planning takes a lot of time. But I will finish her, no worries! :pir-wink:

Your ship looks great! You are a really exceptional ship builder. I haven't seen any other ship that uses the same techniques that you use. You got style my friend.

it looks sweet. reminds me of La Formidable. :pir-classic:

Same techniques indeed, only bigger. :pir_laugh2:

Your ship looks great! You are a really exceptional ship builder. I haven't seen any other ship that uses the same techniques that you use. You got style my friend.

This is probably the best compliment I ever had on Eurobricks! Thank you so much! :pir-sweet:

This comment made my day. :pir-wink:

It is an unique style of ship building indeed. Perhaps funny to know the build of the Le Formidable took 3 years, during that time I've figured the techniques out. :pir-laugh:

It started with a small ship of 3 midsections, and I've expanded it, expanded it and she isn't even finished yet. I have make some more rigging.

After the summer holidays it is her 4th anniversary. :pir_laugh2:

The good Captain Green Hair is also a very huge source of inspiration, I keep my own ship build techniques but especially his eye for details inspires me.

Recently I have ordered some bricks, but there is a delay in it. :pir-hmpf_bad:

When that order finally arrives a big update will appear in this thread soon!

That my order didn't arrive today doesn't mean I haven't done anything recently!

Today I bring you:

cannonscrew002.jpg

Brand new Bluecoat marines! Take a look at their splendid uniforms.

My sigfig at the left has a new suit as well. :pir-sweet:

cannonscrew004.jpg

So far there are 5 marines, I'm planning to make at least 15 of these guys. :pir-classic:

cannonscrew005.jpg

And here are other crewmembers, yes, the DO know how to handle a cannon! There will be a lot of these guys on board!

cannonscrew006.jpg

A few pages ago the good Captain Blue Hair suggested me to 'beef the carronade up'. I hope I have satisfied him!

This is a 68 pounder carronade, at the right the cute 12 pounder for the higher decks.

cannonscrew008.jpg

Another shot. The carronade looks pretty terrefying I think. :pir-oh:

cannonscrew009.jpg

How it's built, the barrel of the carronade fits nice in it's base. You can even aim higher or lower with it.

That was it for today! No doubt this will scare the enemies!

Thanks for watching and feedback is always appreciated! :pir-sweet:

Edited by Cap'n Blackmoor

I like your marines. Not sure yet whether I like the hats. But knowing you a little, it's historically accurate (where do you guys get historical 'dresscode' information from anyway, i.e. what do you use as a reference?). You need to update your avatar now tough.

I'm a big fan of the little canon design. The big one is just a little too big for my taste, but then again it might not look out of place on your ship. Are you planning to use them on the lower decks? It'll sure blast some redcoats or pirates to bits.

Edited by Rick

I like your marines. Not sure yet whether I like the hats. But knowing you a little, it's historically accurate (where do you guys get historical 'dresscode' information from anyway, i.e. what do you use as a reference?). You need to update your avatar now tough.

Thanks! I'm busy with the new avatar picture at this moment. :pir_laugh2:

I read a lot of books for my references, also watching movies (Master & Commander, Hornblower) and even playing historically accurate games like Empire Total War.

I'm a big fan of the little canon design. The big one is just a little too big for my taste, but then again it might not look out of place on your ship. Are you planning to use them on the lower decks? It'll sure blast some redcoats or pirates to bits.

There will be 2 carronades on my vessel, on the forecastle to be exact. The small guns will be placed on the higher decks, the rest of the hull is filled with the shiny new LEGO cannons.

And indeed, this carronade will fire 68 pound cannonballs along with hundreds of musket bullets!

Firing a carronade through the stern of an enemy ship will cause a lot of damage, and will kill or injure almost the half of the crew in 1 shot. Imagine what happens next when the whole broadside is fired through the stern just after the carronade did his work. :pir-skull:

Thanks! I'm busy with the new avatar picture at this moment. :pir_laugh2:

I read a lot of books for my references, also watching movies (Master & Commander, Hornblower) and even playing historically accurate games like Empire Total War.

Same!

For my reasearch I read books, Bought Master & Commander in Asda for only £2!

Then watched it about 10-20 times. Played Empire: Total War, And then visited Portsmouth to see the HMS Victory and HMS Warrior and a few naval museums and such. I then visited Chatham Dockyard were the Victory was built and saw some good ships however many of them were not Napoleonic.

In the Naval Museum there was an amazing model of the HMS Victory, it was massive (Warning: I look bad in this photo, I wasn't smiling much):

DSCF2568.jpg

It was a amazing few days! :pir_laugh2:

Shame I visited the HMS Victory when they were working on it, I couldn't go on the Poop Deck or see the main of the Stern since there was scafolding. But have you designed your ships cabins?

Your beefed up carronade looks marvellous Cap'n! :thumbup:

I also like your custom figures a lot, especially the sailors as they look a lot more realistic then the regular ones.

Do you print the decals on sticker paper?

@Joey, looks like you had a great day. I always love vissiting such things and the British naval tour is definitely on my list of places to visit. :pir-classic:

I also like your custom figures a lot, especially the sailors as they look a lot more realistic then the regular ones.

@Joey, looks like you had a great day. I always love vissiting such things and the British naval tour is definitely on my list of places to visit. :pir-classic:

Ill tell you a terrific place to visit was Fort Amherst, Just outside the Chatham Dockyard, Amazing place and the largest surviving Napoleonic fort in europe. Dark tunnels and we got a personal tour, there was no real tour on that day but a guy called Ben took us round, he told us about all the uses for things in the fort (This tunnel but in the dark):

28Small.JPG

I am looking forward to making a Lego version once I have finished the HMS Unicorn. Its a charitable fort, not owned by anyone. So I was going to try and make a Lego version of the fort and donate it to the Fort or auction it and raise money for the fort. Since 1 carronade for the fort costs about £3000 to restore and make it look real.

Nice customs! This ship will turn out to be one huge project.

Nice new Sigfig, I shall have one with my fleet in no time! :pir-sweet:

I wish you luck on this magnificent Ship build!

Played Empire: Total War

I want that game! :pir_bawling:

Your cannons and crewmembers look great Cap'n! I also like your new uniform. :pir-sweet:

I want that game!

So do I! But I have to buy Vista and install it on my Mac first....

Edited by Hound Knight

Thanks Cap'n! I'm glad you like it. The decals are printed on normal thick paper, and glued on the torso. I'm happy they turned out great.

Nice customs! This ship will turn out to be one huge project.

Nice new Sigfig, I shall have one with my fleet in no time! :pir-sweet:

I wish you luck on this magnificent Ship build!

Thanks Armendariz! I'm proud to be in your army.

And you really have to buy the game, it is very realistic and a must if you love sailing ships!

Your cannons and crewmembers look great Cap'n! I also like your new uniform. :pir-sweet:

I'm glad you like it Hound Knight. More customs in the future! :pir-blush:

Wow, this ship is amazing. I cant wait until it's done :pir-classic:

Are those marines wearing top hats. Or a Beaver hat?

Thanks ECR! I can't wait for it myself either. :pir_laugh2:

According to Wikipedia it are beaver hats. I always thought it were just top hats.

Thanks for that information! :thumbup: