Captain Blackmoor

Le Fourageux, French third-rate ship of the line, minifig scale!

Updated July 19 2012: The Fourageux suffered major damage.. Link to post.

Updated May 15 2012: The Fourageux turned into a museum attraction!

Updated March 3 2012: And again she's a little bit taller, and stronger!

Updated December 26 2011: Bow improvement and some additional cool things!

Updated November 4 2011: Massive hull update!

Updated August 4 2011: Cool information!

Updated August 29 2011: the bow has been rebuilt!

Updated August 4 2010: the hull is about to be completed!

Updated April 4 2010: she is at her full length!

Updated March 1 2010: great progress!

Updated December 21 2010: a whole new ship!

Updated August 17 2010: New gun designs and some custom crew

Updated June 27 2010: The back end of the ship almost done!

Updated June 17 2010: Final plan and module for the back end of the ship

Updated June 2 2010: Ship's flag and accessoires.

Updated May 14 2010: Stern gallery module and technique.

Le Fourageux will be a French 74 gunship of the Téméraire Class. References are the Bucentaure and Duquesne.

Le Duquesne for reference:

le_duquesne.jpg

On the planning table there are a lot of ideas. And I'd like to give my compliments to the many people who helped me getting ideas and inspiration.

The building plans look promising, the crown has given us the opportunity to make a good fighter against the Redcoats :pir-classic: They may be the rulers of the seven seas now, but for how long..? :pir-classic: For now, I first need your help too with my ship :pir-blush:

Edited by YnyklY

you bit the cup, really?

My little brother was quite young when he got his first ship, there was a yellow goblet in there and he liked it to bit on it.

Now, almost 10 years later I still use that goblet. :pir_laugh2: As a broken one.

The building plans look promising, the crown has given us the opportunity to make a good fighter against the British :pir-classic: They may be the rulers of the seven seas now, but for how long..? :pir-classic: For now, I first need your help too with my ship :pir-blush:

Thanks mate! Together we shall rule the seas. :pir-skull:

I'll help you out soon, I might have some time this weekend and after the exams I have plenty!

The building plans look promising, the crown has given us the opportunity to make a good fighter against the Redcoats :pir-classic: They may be the rulers of the seven seas now, but for how long..? :pir-classic: For now, I first need your help too with my ship :pir-blush:

My posting some pics of my troops for the cause, go take a gander....

Sounds like a great project you have made yourself.. A few pointers, first 8 midsections might be too long for the width. I feel like 7 midsections is the max, My ship Sang Royale and Bonaparte's ship Prince of Wales are both 7 midsection, 64 gun ships. So if you could pull off 8 midsections you could easily fit 74 guns instead of 44 guns. Also the yellow and black color scheme would confuse people into thinking the ship is British and not French. Good luck with the build.

-HMS

I was also thinking about 7 midsections, but I make it in the same style as the Le Formidable which is a little bit more minifig scale. She will have 24 cannons each side.

About the coloursheme, you are right about it. The French had the black-red coloursheme, but some French ships at Trafalgar had also the Nelson black-yellow coloursheme.

But since I have to order the bricks, I have enough time to think about it. This is the "plan making stage" which means brainstorming and getting suggestions from other people.

Thank you very much all! :pir-blush:

French had the black-red coloursheme, but some French ships at Trafalgar had also the Nelson black-yellow coloursheme.

In fact, at Trafalgar, most french ships had the yellow-black colourscheme. (and it wasn't just french anyway, a lot of spanish ships were black with red too)

Seems like a big project, I will support it all the way! Bluecoats for the win!

But the redcoats winning? :pir-oh3: I must reinforce my forces! :pir-devil:

Your ship looks promising indeed and I love the planning MOC. But be warned that rumor has it there is a turncoat in your midst. Redcoat spies are everywhere....your security may already be underminded. :devil:

You send them to me right? Trying to avoid this ship will ever set sail. :pir-tongue:

IF it sets sail, it sets course to ruin your Redcoats on the shores! :pir-skull:

But I thank you for your kind words. :pir-wink:

That looks very nice .. I think it'll be a great ship, and you did a nice little scene to go with it^^ Now I'm very impatient to see the ship!

My little brother was quite young when he got his first ship, there was a yellow goblet in there and he liked it to bit on it.

Now, almost 10 years later I still use that goblet. :pir_laugh2: As a broken one.

Thats Funny :pir_laugh2:

Edited by Dr.Steve

If you feel at all threatened during your ship construction, I will gladly dispatch my fleets and foots to guard your shipyard.

So... this ones bigger than the Formidable? I don't know how your going to make it...

Oh well, at least it's for the blue coats, not red... stupid red...

Here are some old pictures of the Le Formidable, the stern has been updated, the rigging has been updated, the decks have been...well actually everyting has been updated. :pir-tongue:

I will post the final pictures soon.

This time I will start with an extended hull and a wider base. Then I add decks like I did in my previous ship, but this one will have a gundeck extra. :pir-wink:

The stern will be somewhat similar to the Le Formidable but with less decorations on top, otherwise the stern gets too high.

Thanks Hound Knight, I'm glad you like them but they aren't there anymore. They have been replaced by yellow decorations.

I've made a module from the gallery at the stern today.

This isn't the real thing but it shows how the cabin is going to look like. I've ran out of yellow and black bricks so I made it in different colours. I've made this module to check what I need. After my exams I will start ordering bricks.

For the lower cabin I use the same technique I used on the Le Formidable, this cabin will be placed on top of it. That also explains the weird curve in the walls. The upper cabin is smaller then the cabin below.

Now we've talked long enough, time for the pics. Tell me what you like and what could be improved.

The ship is still in planning fase so ideas are very welcome!

sterngallery001.jpg

sterngallery002.jpg

Everyone's opinion helps! Even the parrot's opinion! :pir_laugh2::pir-tongue:

General Armendariz and YnyklY checking the cabin module.

sterngallery003.jpg

There will be windows in there! No worries! :pir-tongue:

sterngallery005.jpg

How the interior is going to look like, in the wrong colours since I've put every piece of furniture in the Le Formidable already. :pir-tongue: I also see this pic is a bit blurry...

The plans for the stern itself are ready, not really hard to do but it are the galleries which give the nice smooth look of the cabin instead of a boxy one.

Any feedback is highly appreciated!

Thank you! :pir-blush:

Edited by Cap'n Blackmoor

It looks good, There is still quite a lot of space between the windows and the roof, maybe you can place something (tiles maybe or you place some black plates agains the roof on the inside) there. Otherways there might come some water in the great cabin and we don't want that :pir-classic: I dont know anything else to say, for the rest it looks fine :thumbup:

Edited by YnyklY

It looks good but I would like to give a couple of suggestions though.

I would add a wall (with a small opening) between the galleries and the actual cabin as this is more authentic.

Furthermore I would add some sort of toilet in the galleries.

The last thing I would suggest is using yelow windowframes.

It looks like you're building a nice ship there Cap'n.

The technique for the galleries is pretty good and I ove the fact that you're adding an interior.

Looking forward to seeing some updates :pir-sweet:

Great job,keep it up :thumbup:

Greetings,

Errorist

Thank you for your very useful advices Errorist! I'm planning to make toilets in the galleries with a small wall between the galleries and the actual cabin. I've seen some movies and I saw what you meant.

I'm still worried about using 7 or 8 midsections, I think I will order 8 so I can always remove one. The ship isn't going to be in the same building style as the HMS Prince of Wales and the Mort Royal, mines will be slightly more minifig accurate so it will be larger.

Today I've made some accessoires for the ship!

ship_accessoires003.jpg

Me and my parrot checking the new accessoires for the ship.

I've made the ship's bell, an example of a carronade and a new designed lantern for the stern.

ship_accessoires002.jpg

A better view at the ship's bell. This one is similar to the one the Le Formidable currently has. Perhaps I change the bell since the bell had a roof above it, resting on 4 poles instead of 2.

ship_accessoires001.jpg

A 68 pounder carronade, not completely my design. I have seen the barrel and base somewhere else but there are so many combinations with those kind of bricks. The Le Fourageux will have 2 or 4 carronades on the forecastle.

Soon I will fill the barrel with a large 68 pound cannonball and a lot of musket rounds, resulting in a devestating blow on the enemy ship...

ship_accessoires004.jpg

The new lantern for the Le Fourageux, she will get 3 of 'em. I'm quite pleased with the lantern, the Le Formidable has also this kind of lanterns but slightly different and less detailed.

ship_accessoires005.jpg

She will set sail under this flag, the crown, crossed cannons and cannonballs patterns on the flag are ImperialShadows's design. The colours are a bit off since the yellow cardridge of my printer is still empty...

I also have to print it on a larger dpi scale.

ship_accessoires006.jpg

But perhaps I will add the flag of the Le Formidable also to the Le Fourageux's stern as well, which one do you guys prefer?

ImperialShadows's patterns have also been used here.

That was it for now!

Comments are welcome!!

Nice update. I love the little 9 pounder or cannonade...the light and the bell. I'd have to say I like the top flag better. Really nice job...now if the Bluecoats could only build a ship that didn't roll over when they fired the first broadside they'd be in business :laugh: