Captain Blackmoor

Le Fourageux, French third-rate ship of the line, minifig scale!

hmmm, I wonder who would win, this or ZCerebus' 'Phantom' :cannon:

Both ships will be two deckers and I think they will be around the same length and beam width.

On the other hand the Phantom will have more guns, but Le Fourageux has the benefit of already being finished! (or so Blacky says... where are those pics?!!)

Guns alone, however, do not a champion make. The sail plan, manueverability and hull strength of the ship and the sailing skills of the crews and the strategy of the captains will greatly influence a battle as well.

Instead of battling, I think the two ships should go pirate hunting together.

Edited by ZCerberus

Well I was Sunday at LegoWorld with Captain Blackmoor and Admiral Croissant, so I could have a look myself and Le Fourageux looks really great and bigger then I thought, and of course I took some pictures:

img_0276.jpg

img_0271.jpgimg_0275.jpg

img_0269.jpg

img_0245.jpg

the Inventor

Well I was Sunday at LegoWorld with Captain Blackmoor and Admiral Croissant, so I could have a look myself and Le Fourageux looks really great and bigger then I thought, and of course I took some pictures:

Looks good with the main mast, but it is clear the rigging isn't done in that photo. I bet it was fun to meet some of the other people from the forum IRL though!

Looks good with the main mast, but it is clear the rigging isn't done in that photo. I bet it was fun to meet some of the other people from the forum IRL though!

Thanks for the good pictures Inventor! I can't wait to see it with rigging.

Indeed great pictures the Inventor! Thanks for sharing them. :pir-classic: Unfortunately you weren't there when I had the Alceste with me, she has made great progress on Monday. Now I only need to add sails... :pir-sweet:

The Fourageux needs a few tiny finishing touches on the hull, especially at the bow which is not quite perfect yet. And of course I have to add more rigging and sails.

Pictures are coming very soon!

The Fourageux needs a few tiny finishing touches on the hull, especially at the bow which is not quite perfect yet. And of course I have to add more rigging and sails.

About the sails... to me the yard arms look a little too small which in turn may make the sails look too small as well. Anyone else? have any thoughts?

I love the yellow on the masts though- it looks so sharp. Maybe you could add some yellow to the yardarms as well... just a thought.

Edited by ZCerberus

Captain you deserve a metal for this miraculous piece of art. It is so great to look at and I am sure that after all the hard work you put into it, it is great to see the results.

I personally have enjoyed watching this develop of this project. A big Well Done to you. pirate_cry_happy.gif

Now just to see the sails on and the rigging finished.

That is one huge ship. I really like the colors and the size of that thing. Now I am not sure but the flag seems too big. Were ships flags that big or was that for display? Either way I still like it.

Another problem I see it the front mast ( Specific name? ). It bends forward at the top. I have never seen that before.

About the sails... to me the yard arms look a little too small which in turn may make the sails look too small as well. Anyone else? have any thoughts?

I love the yellow on the masts though- it looks so sharp. Maybe you could add some yellow to the yardarms as well... just a thought.

I think I stick with black yardarms, but it would be ideal if they were 1,5 stud thick. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to archive this. 2x2 round bricks just look far too big and blocky. :pir-classic:

Captain you deserve a metal for this miraculous piece of art. It is so great to look at and I am sure that after all the hard work you put into it, it is great to see the results.

I personally have enjoyed watching this develop of this project. A big Well Done to you. pirate_cry_happy.gif

Now just to see the sails on and the rigging finished.

And I hope it will be completed soon. Thank you very much for your kind words. :pir-classic:

That is one huge ship. I really like the colors and the size of that thing. Now I am not sure but the flag seems too big. Were ships flags that big or was that for display? Either way I still like it.

Another problem I see it the front mast ( Specific name? ). It bends forward at the top. I have never seen that before.

These flags were usually huge, it was possible to cover the stern with it and using it as an emergency sail. Shame only the spanker sweeps over the deck, and in these pictures the spanker is hanging towards the larboard side.

About the foremast, I just put too much tension on the ropes, and the bowsprit is quite heavy, resulting in the top of the mast bending over. I have made a new knot so there was less tension on there. That's visible in the pictures I've taken later these days.

These flags were usually huge, it was possible to cover the stern with it and using it as an emergency sail.

Well that was something new for me, thanks for the information.

About the ship, as already sayed the ship looks awesome, the foremast bends yes, but thats not a huge problem and you have fixed that already.

I cant wait for seeing those pictures, and you sayed at Alceste is almoust ready too, i really cant wait for those pictures now :pir-tongue: .

Captain Becker

Oh my goodness!! This is sooooooooo awesome! I wish I had the time to build something like this!

Are you going to make instructions?!? Oh I hope you do! Thanks in advance!.

Great work Blacky. :thumbup: I am very impressed. I look forward to its rigging being completed.

I think I stick with black yardarms, but it would be ideal if they were 1,5 stud thick. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to archive this. 2x2 round bricks just look far too big and blocky. :pir-classic:

Ah the realities of working with bricks of a fixed shape and color!

What I really meant wasn't that they weren't thick enough, I was wondering if they were LONG enough. You will have a better grip on that then the rest of us, but I thought they maybe looked a little smallish.

As for the thickness however, if you wanted them a little thicker, I wonder if a bunch of these 4733.gifwith tiles on all four sides would make them the right thickness for you.

Edited by ZCerberus

Looks good so far. She is huge. I have question, is the mizzen mast first fighting top as well as the fore mast fighting top taller than the mainmast fighting top?

Ah the realities of working with bricks of a fixed shape and color!

What I really meant wasn't that they weren't thick enough, I was wondering if they were LONG enough. You will have a better grip on that then the rest of us, but I thought they maybe looked a little smallish.

As for the thickness however, if you wanted them a little thicker, I wonder if a bunch of these 4733.gifwith tiles on all four sides would make them the right thickness for you.

That seems to be a good way. It's not a tough job to replace the yardams. I just need to order them.

Thanks for the advice! :thumbup:

I agree whit Z, that would be the best solution on it, so why not to give it a try?

Captain Becker

I'll give it a try. :pir-wink:

Looks good so far. She is huge. I have question, is the mizzen mast first fighting top as well as the fore mast fighting top taller than the mainmast fighting top?

Er? I'm not sure if I get your point but:

The foremast fighting top and mainmast fighting top are equal, the mizzen mast is slightly smaller.

Wow. that makes 'Corredor Del tesoro' look like a tiny cutter :pir_laugh2: Very impressive. Haha, the 'Fourageux' is huge compared to the 'Vesta' :pir-tongue:

PS: woohoo! 100 posts :pir-classic:

Ah ok. Sorry about the confusion, it looked like your mizzen fighting tops were taller than the main and fore mast tops.

101 and one to be precise

but back to the topic, that thing is huge....

can't wait till it's finished

She looked amazing at Lego world, she really stood out in the crowd.

The lines of the ship are great, as is the fine detail and the way you have managed to make your masts!

I hope you find time to make all the changes you had in mind and get the rigging and sails done.

This ship developed into something incredibly realistic; setting a new standard for waterline models. :thumbup:

I'm sure it will be a great source of inspiration to a lot of people reading the forums.

By the way, where did you get those cute brown cannon bases from? :pir-tongue:

She looked amazing at Lego world, she really stood out in the crowd.

The lines of the ship are great, as is the fine detail and the way you have managed to make your masts!

I hope you find time to make all the changes you had in mind and get the rigging and sails done.

That is also the current challenge. Thanks for the feedback! :pir-classic:

I know this is a random question Blackmoor, but how many blue coats do you have? I six including the general which will be new avatar.

At the moment around 20-30. Not all of them have epaulettes, shako's and weapons though.

This has got to be in my top 5 greatest MOC/WIPs :pir-classic: so impressive :pir-classic:

Thank you. :pir-classic:

This ship developed into something incredibly realistic; setting a new standard for waterline models. :thumbup:

I'm sure it will be a great source of inspiration to a lot of people reading the forums.

By the way, where did you get those cute brown cannon bases from? :pir-tongue:

Thanks a lot Perfectionist! I also really hope it will inspire people. :pir-cry_happy:

About the cannon bases, well, the ten you see on the recent pictures are my own, but this is not the final model. :pir-wink:

I have to make sure the cannons on the gundecks can be secured on the ships hull using ropes, a thing I didn't manage to finish for LegoWorld. It is not a good idea to place the cannons in there insecure, as it is an easy job to put them far into the ship.

They will be added for sure, 10 guns is a bit less for a fourth rate ship aye? :pir-wink:

And of course you will get your credit afterwards!! :pir-sweet:

In fact, at Trafalgar, most french ships had the yellow-black colourscheme. (and it wasn't just french anyway, a lot of spanish ships were black with red too)

It was only the British fleet, under orders from Nelson himself (despite contradicting orders from the Admiralty) that painted their ships Black & Yellow, in order to stop friendly fire accidents. Neither the French Fleet or the Spanish Fleet had a standard colour scheme in 1805. Nelson was the first officer to order his ships painted yellow and black, and the fleet kept this colour scheme has a memorial to their great leader. So building a Spanish or French ship of 1805 in yellow and black would be incorrect.