Captain Blackmoor

Le Fourageux, French third-rate ship of the line, minifig scale!

Simply amazing Blackmoor, Its really taking shape now and looks just plain awesome! Loads of great details allready and the stern is perfect. The flag fits well and the bell is a nice touch. Are you going to tile the decks or keep them more mini-fig friendly(i think your crew would slide all over the place after the tremor of this beasts broadside). Tiles would probably be expensive as well, expecially if you want tan or dark tan. Cant wait to see more progress, and shes pretty big, so needs a big fancy port from where she makes birth, perhaps i'll make one! Great work mate, keep it going!

Very massive, it makes the prefab hull ships looks like rowboats! You've been progressing alot on this wonderful french ship.

Keep it up! :thumbup:

Every single time I visit this thread I end up without breath!

Likewise, your ships are amazing, and a joy to behold! :pir-cry_happy:

this is probably the creation that I have anticipated the most on EB. As soon as I saw the update i was blown away! It flows very well with the bow and stern, and has pretty got length too. Keep up the good work!!! :thumbup:

Wow this looks good so far! This just makes me want to get started on my own *british* ship. (Waiting for BL order to arrive).

Wow, she is turing out great.. and a full interior as well. The tumblehome technique is very nice, and the dark tan deck is awsome! Great detailing as well

It's really amazing by what amount your ship improved after you switched to a brickbuild hull. :pir-cry_happy:

Although you started building on the stern, the overall shape looks very realistic!

The tumblehome looks excellent and realistic as well regarding cross sections of ship models.

I have to admit that the rather simple technique of using plates and tiles for the sides works REALLY well, especially in combination with those lovely 3x3 gunports.

The modular design is also great, I just hope you can maintain it when doing the rigging.

One thing I'm not so sure about is the stability of your construction; it looks a bit fragile to me and not like you could pick it up and hold it in one piece.

With only 18 guns per deck, the Fourageux isn' exactly overarmed, but it still looks powerful.

Also regarding how nice the 3x3 gunports look and that a 7 stud spacing between them is just accurate, I think there's no way to change this on a ship of this medium size.

Theres one minor thing I'd like to point out though:

The grates on the upper gundeck, made from several houndred headlight bricks. :pir-tongue:

Looks quite realistic, perhaps I should try them in Reddish Brown?

Well actually this is my Invention and also the one I'm most proud of (besides the stern on the Achille-class). :pir-cry_happy:

So now that I'm back on the forums, I'd be glad to have that made clear. :pir-classic:

I know that it's hard to remember where you get all your inspirations and techniques from, but let's just try to give credit wherever possible.

And last but not least, the immense progress on your Fourageux after starting all over on it has inspired me to start all over on my big Project, the Superbe. :pir-sweet:

Since the construction part seems pretty finished (well you just need to copy the side), I wish you much luck on building the masts and rigging it. I'm quite curious about your mechanisms and that "very special rigging".

Regards

Perfectionist

It's comming along nice!!! It will be a truly amazing ship when its done!!! Bet she will deliver a hell of a broadside!

:jollyroger:

Sure she does! Thanks. :pir-classic:

She looks great on those new pictures captain! :thumbup:

I assume you still need to add the bow section? Can't really tell from that last picture.

The bow has been done for one side, still working on it.

Thanks Captain!

Simply amazing Blackmoor, Its really taking shape now and looks just plain awesome! Loads of great details allready and the stern is perfect. The flag fits well and the bell is a nice touch. Are you going to tile the decks or keep them more mini-fig friendly(i think your crew would slide all over the place after the tremor of this beasts broadside). Tiles would probably be expensive as well, expecially if you want tan or dark tan. Cant wait to see more progress, and shes pretty big, so needs a big fancy port from where she makes birth, perhaps i'll make one! Great work mate, keep it going!

Thanks! :pir-cry_happy:

Untill now she has no place to stay, so a port would be nice! :pir_laugh2:

I keep the decks studded, as I want to keep the LEGO feel, and tiling means I have to tile 3 decks... Almost enough to tile the floor of my bedroom! :pir-tongue:

Very massive, it makes the prefab hull ships looks like rowboats! You've been progressing alot on this wonderful french ship.

Keep it up! :thumbup:

Thanks General! :pir-classic:

Likewise, your ships are amazing, and a joy to behold! :pir-cry_happy:

Thanks! :pir-cry_happy:

this is probably the creation that I have anticipated the most on EB. As soon as I saw the update i was blown away! It flows very well with the bow and stern, and has pretty got length too. Keep up the good work!!! :thumbup:

Thanks Captain! :pir-blush:

Wow this looks good so far! This just makes me want to get started on my own *british* ship. (Waiting for BL order to arrive).

It takes more then 1 bricklink order. :pir-tongue:

Thanks, and all the best with your ship!

Wow, she is turing out great.. and a full interior as well. The tumblehome technique is very nice, and the dark tan deck is awsome! Great detailing as well

Thank you Admiral! She needs some refining on some points, but the rough thing is there indeed. It shouldn't take much longer to complete the hull.

It's really amazing by what amount your ship improved after you switched to a brickbuild hull. :pir-cry_happy:

Although you started building on the stern, the overall shape looks very realistic!

The tumblehome looks excellent and realistic as well regarding cross sections of ship models.

I have to admit that the rather simple technique of using plates and tiles for the sides works REALLY well, especially in combination with those lovely 3x3 gunports.

The modular design is also great, I just hope you can maintain it when doing the rigging.

One thing I'm not so sure about is the stability of your construction; it looks a bit fragile to me and not like you could pick it up and hold it in one piece.

With only 18 guns per deck, the Fourageux isn' exactly overarmed, but it still looks powerful.

Also regarding how nice the 3x3 gunports look and that a 7 stud spacing between them is just accurate, I think there's no way to change this on a ship of this medium size.

Theres one minor thing I'd like to point out though:

Well actually this is my Invention and also the one I'm most proud of (besides the stern on the Achille-class). :pir-cry_happy:

So now that I'm back on the forums, I'd be glad to have that made clear. :pir-classic:

I know that it's hard to remember where you get all your inspirations and techniques from, but let's just try to give credit wherever possible.

And last but not least, the immense progress on your Fourageux after starting all over on it has inspired me to start all over on my big Project, the Superbe. :pir-sweet:

Since the construction part seems pretty finished (well you just need to copy the side), I wish you much luck on building the masts and rigging it. I'm quite curious about your mechanisms and that "very special rigging".

Regards

Perfectionist

Thank you very much Perfectionist! A great comment! :pir-classic:

I'm very glad you like it, that means a lot to me. I was quite surpised the technique I use turned out nicely.

As for the grates, I did remember seeing it somewhere before, just didn't know where. I'm glad to give you your deserved credit. Thanks for pointing that out, and my compliments for the design! :thumbup:

The Fourageux has exactly 44 guns, I was planning to make it 54, but she would become too narrow compared her length.

Thanks for your kind words, and I wish you all the best with your Superbe. An amazing project!

Thanks for the comments all! :pir-cry_happy:

In particular I like all the details you are adding on the deck of the ship. Deck details is an aspect which you and Admiral Croissant seem to value a lot and you are both great innovators when it comes to this.

I'm very interested to see more updates of this ship.

Sounds good

I've been working on a prototype for a steering rig lately, though it's rather tough for me since the rudder isn't even done :imperialguard_commander1: Though it works really well! The only thing I need to do is make it shorter and it'll be perfect!

Here's the prototype:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hawaii10...SS/img_4471.gif

And here's a shot of the 'mechanism':

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hawaii10...SS/img_4472.gif

I could easily make it only one stud high, just by using 1x1 round bricks. You can see more when I get around to that area on the Beagle :pir-classic: (I guess I might want to post instructions later on too, but I'm still working on the hull, so there's no need for me to get ahead of myself)

Anyway, the rope system to shove cannons in and out of ports sounds rather complicated, any pics?

I'm also itching to know what that VERY SPECIAL RIGGING is...

:pir_yoda:

I'm not going to pretend I've followed this thread from day one or that I know much about shipbuilding, but did you remember to reverse the ribbon(?) somewhere along the way? If not, you'll end up turning right when you try to turn left and vice versa.

(Of course, this is just me and my OCD-ish behavior. "ITSGOTTABEPERFECT")

I'm not going to pretend I've followed this thread from day one or that I know much about shipbuilding, but did you remember to reverse the ribbon(?) somewhere along the way? If not, you'll end up turning right when you try to turn left and vice versa.

(Of course, this is just me and my OCD-ish behavior. "ITSGOTTABEPERFECT")

Oh, that... It works perfect! It turns right when the wheel is turned right, and turns left when the wheel is turned left. I don't exactly get what you mean about 'reverse the ribbon' but it works just fine either way...

:pir_yoda:

In particular I like all the details you are adding on the deck of the ship. Deck details is an aspect which you and Admiral Croissant seem to value a lot and you are both great innovators when it comes to this.

I'm very interested to see more updates of this ship.

Thanks Boneparte!

It's true I spend a lot of time on deck details, mainly because they look nice, add a lot of detail and I just like to build detailed.

Today I present not an update, more an announcement. :pir-classic:

The hull has been completed, but I'm not yet happy with her shape. She is too small in width at the stern.

The bow of the ship is minifig scale, while the stern is a little bit smaller.

Her stern will get 8 studs (2 extra windows at the stern), and the ship also will gain 16 studs extra in length, making her shape perfect.

Keep an eye on the horizon, pictures should be ready this week. :pir-classic:

Than god, i cant wait for ur pics Blackmoor, i have been thinked a couple of days at did you give up, but i still hoped to see more updates :pir-sweet: I cant wait for seeing the ship totally finished. Keep it up and have a good time at building

Captain Becker

The hull has been completed, but I'm not yet happy with her shape. She is too small in width at the stern.

The bow of the ship is minifig scale, while the stern is a little bit smaller.

Her stern will get 8 studs (2 extra windows at the stern), and the ship also will gain 16 studs extra in length, making her shape perfect.

Hey, it sounds like a good idea to make it a bit wider at the stern, but I'm not sure... 8 studs seems a little too much to me. The stern usually overhangs the hull but the maximum width of the ship should be more than that of the stern...

Will you include additional gunports for that 6 studs additional lenght? I hope so since it would make the Fourageux a proper fourth rate!

Anyways it's good to know that you are in the process of continually improving your already outstanding vessel and I'm looking forward to your next update. :pir-classic:

Good luck with building! And have fun!

Progress has been made!

In the past weeks I had a lot of time on my hands, time which comes in handy when it comes to bricks.

The list of updates:

The whole ship, especially the rear end is 4 studs wider now.

The curves on the tumblehome have been improved.

The interior has been reinforced and more detail has been added.

The bow is completely rebuild and not finished yet since I need a few specific bricks which I did not have.

The ship is also 16 studs longer.

She is a proper fourth rate ship with 44 guns, the carronades and top deck guns not included.

The first part of the mizzen mast has been built.

And of course a lot of tiny improvements have been made.

Enough squabbling from my side, time for the pics! :pir-classic:

sneakpeaks4004.jpg

The stern, the lanterns have been improved slightly, the cabin interiors have been completed, though the furniture is not complete yet. And the whole stern is 4 studs wider now, the brickbuilt hull also has undergone a huge update.

sneakpeaks4003.jpg

The whole side, which will be copied somewhere very soon to the other side. I forgot to order the gunports and a black ladder. :pir-tongue:

sneakpeaks4005.jpg

A poop deck closeup. There is one of the eight 12 pounder cannons along with the steering wheel and the entrance to the Captain's quarters.

sneakpeaks4006.jpg

An early version of the lifeboat.

sneakpeaks4001.jpg

This is still under construction. I just put the parts roughly together for the pictures. I need to wait for my order to arrive so I can continue, the technique I've been working on works very well in theory..

That was it for now, feedback is really appreciated before I proceed to the next step! Already thanks! :pir-cry_happy:

The list of updates:

The whole ship, especially the rear end is 4 studs wider now.

The curves on the tumblehome have been improved.

The interior has been reinforced and more detail has been added.

The bow is completely rebuild and not finished yet since I need a few specific bricks which I did not have.

The ship is also 16 studs longer.

She is a proper fourth rate ship with 44 guns, the carronades and top deck guns not included.

The first part of the mizzen mast has been built.

And of course a lot of tiny improvements have been made.

Well thats sure is a lot of job mate, you made it wider and longer also. I wouldnt have noticed if you wouldnt have sayed anything :pir_laugh2: The mizzle mast looks great, and the life boat.. you may want to add a small mast and sail on it, or try to make own mded lifeboats like CG/BH did. But if not its ok. You are only make it everytime a little bit stronger and more readyer, cant wait till its finished :thumbup: (I wouldnt want to on pirate ship when this beast comes to the horizon)

Captain Becker

This is on its way to becoming the (one of the) best LEGO pirate ships ever. I'm amazed at what 'curves' can be achieved with rectangular bricks. The technique you use for the bow looks very promising. Easily the best I have seen.