Bonaparte

HMS Prince of Wales

What more can I add to the well-deserved praise?

I really liked the actual holes for the "heads". I did wonder why a ship named "Prince of Wales" would have a mermaid figurehead?!?

You have really demonstrated how it is possible to create a beautiful two-decker on the standard hull-pieces.

The stern, that by itself is fantastic. Just the perfect amount of details and decoration. Is that an engraved brick with the name?

A fantastic ship and one that will provide inspiration and imitation from lots of builders. I can hardly wait to see the video. I would so love to see a "time-lapse" of this build if it was available. :pir-sweet:

Edited by tedbeard

Stunning work Bonaparte! :pir-cry_happy:

So many great details; the sails and rigging are superb and the whole ship has a great shape. Lovely color scheme as well.

Beautiful MOC!

Holy Sh*t... I love it Tom... this is frontpage.

In particular the sails... nice 'used-touch'... if you know what I want to say... :thumbup:

Constructive criticism.

1) You must open an account on Flickr... BS is passé.

2) Is it not possible to take pictures on a background without structure?... doesn't matter what colour.

too bad us Dutch will have to sink her now. :pir_laugh2:
:pir-laugh:

Wow. That's an awesome ship you built. I like the curved stairs.

:pir-wub:

Now, I know what you have been busy building for the past few months. I must admit that I had not been following closely on your progress. :pir-blush:

Nevertheless, I am not late to admire with envy at this marvel huge creation of yours. The sheer scale and design of this ship is extremely realistic, judging from its different angles. Although I am not familar with ship building, but this is one ship from far, which looks like a musuem artifact. I love it. :pir-wink:

Beautiful ship my friend, well done. The shape of the ship is perfect. Love the dark red lines. A couple of small things, the stern I think you need to add some ridged hose under the windows, it will add more shape to the stern. Oh and scala? Love those toilets. It looks great. Keep it up. You will soon have a matched rival to battle.

Cheers!

-HMS

Even thoughI am not a guy that is into ships, it is hard not to be amazed by a nice piece of handcraft that this is.

You have captured alot of great details.

The rigging for instance is one of my favorite, and looks very realistic.

Will you bring it to the event :pir-grin:

Great job Boney! A really beautiful ship :pir-wub:

-Ras-

Excellent work!!

It looks like you have taken a few of the best techniques from around the forum and combined them into a ship of awesomeness!

I am especially impressed with the cabins on the stern, they are gorgeous!

Nice technique with the sails too, I think I saw Greeny helping you with those, so my compliments to you both!

I also like the dark red in there, it is fast becoming one of my favorite colors.

Edited by ZCerberus

Thanks everyone for you nice feedback :pir-wub:

sweet ship, what rate?

It's got 2 gun-decks and 60 guns, well, maybe 62 guns if I count the 2 guns (low) in the stern. That would make this a 4th rate ship-of-the-line which had (in real life) a crew between 320 to 420 souls. If I would add to more guns it could be classified as a 3rd rate ship-of-the-line (those had minimun 64 guns), so maybe I'll find some room to put 2 more guns :-)

Did you sew the sails?

I've sewed them on the beams, that took a lot of patiences. I tried to make one sail per evening, so cut it, drawing the vertical lines on it and attaching (sewing) it on the ship. So you can calculate how many evenings I've been using to put on all the sails...

How did you find time with real life building projects?

That's probably why it took me so long to build it. And I've done a lot of re-building the ship to make sure I was happy with everything about it.

I really liked the actual holes for the "heads". I did wonder why a ship named "Prince of Wales" would have a mermaid figurehead?!?

The prince must be a healthy man who like mermaids :pir-laugh:

You have really demonstrated how it is possible to create a beautiful two-decker on the standard hull-pieces.

A 3 decker would be pushing it, but I've heard a friend of mine mentioning intentions to try it.

Is that an engraved brick with the name?

No, it's a printed piece of paper.

I would so love to see a "time-lapse" of this build if it was available. :pir-sweet:

I'm planning to do a "making of" in the near future containing some pics while we're building the ship.

1) You must open an account on Flickr... BS is passé.

I'm also on Flickr and MOCpages :pir-sweet:

2) Is it not possible to take pictures on a background without structure?... doesn't matter what colour.

The problem is the ship being so long and high. I had to use a bed-sheet and that was hardly big enough. I've photoshopped the background of the first pic though.

Beautiful ship my friend, well done. The shape of the ship is perfect. Love the dark red lines. A couple of small things, the stern I think you need to add some ridged hose under the windows, it will add more shape to the stern. Oh and scala?

You sound like CGH, he's always talking about ridged hose :pir-tongue:

Thanks everyone for you nice feedback :pir-wub:

If I would add to more guns it could be classified as a 3rd rate ship-of-the-line (those had minimun 64 guns), so maybe I'll find some room to put 2 more guns :-)

An extra pair of forechasers? From fourth rates to first rates the ships had four cannons on the forecastle aiming to the bowsprit, and a few carronades on the forecastle broadside. Perhaps there is room for them.

A few carronades always work in a battle! :pir-skull:

Here i have a question about the ship rating-system, Ships were always designed for a certain amount of cannons. But the captains (or other people) usually put a few extra cannons on it. But the ship was still called a ..gun ship compared to the amount of guns it was designed for. So my question is, were the ships rated for the total number of guns, or just the number of guns it was designed for?(I hope you get it :pir_laugh2: )

Stunning. She is beautiful in every detail. The rigging is just remarkable. I can't begin to imagine the time you must have spent on that alone but your combined efforts truely show through in the finished work. This is a ship for the ages. I can only hope her war record will reflect the care and attention that created this beautiful killing machine. Now we now why the French feared the might of the British Royal Navy and Napoleon's domination ended when the water reached his saddle. It is ships like this that launched the British Empire and helped shape the history of the world today. Very impressive gentlemen. :thumbup::thumbup:

she's definately a beaut - worth the wait to see it

if there was one thing that I would consider changing, it would be the standing rigging

due to the nature of its use, the standing rigging was usually tarred, and would therefore appear darker than the running rigging

other than that minor thing i am in awe sir

she is truely a masterpiece :pir-classic:

Please don't get me wrong :] I love the ship

I just don't get why the deck isn't tiled

and why some cannons don't have weels

and why the cabin doesn't have some kind of door

I know you guys are some of the best builders out there

but I really think she at least needs a wooden deck :]

--> You see it works... your on the frontpage of The Brothers Brick... not many people can say that. Congrats Tom.

Oh wonderful :pir-sweet:

Let me answer your questions:

I didn't used a tiled deck because that reduces playability in my view as minifigs would fall easily. I tried to find a balance between good looks and playability. The big cannons on the gun decks have wheels, the 10 smaller cannons on the upper deck don't have wheels because of the scale in which this ship is build. Giving the cannons on the upper-deck wheels didn't look right as they became too big. That would work if the ship was made in full minifig scale (like the ships under construction by CGH, Teddy, Errorist, Phred), but such ships take years to build and are 5x bigger than this one. This ship is build in what I call "minifig illusion scale" :pir-sweet:. The door towards the cabin is under the poop deck and not visible from the outside, that's how it was on the wooden models I was using as a basis for this ship.

I am looking forward to my next visit!

Your ship is really the max, I love the details.

Let me answer your questions:

I didn't used a tiled deck because that reduces playability in my view as minifigs would fall easily. I tried to find a balance between good looks and playability. The big cannons on the gun decks have wheels, the 10 smaller cannons on the upper deck don't have wheels because of the scale in which this ship is build. Giving the cannons on the upper-deck wheels didn't look right as they became too big. That would work if the ship was made in full minifig scale (like the ships under construction by CGH, Teddy, Errorist, Phred), but such ships take years to build and are 5x bigger than this one. This ship is build in what I call "minifig illusion scale" :pir-sweet:. The door towards the cabin is under the poop deck and not visible from the outside, that's how it was on the wooden models I was using as a basis for this ship.

:] fair enough

then I have to applaud you for your work :thumbup:

Also do you know how much Tan Tiles cost!

Brown Tiles I havent tryed yet.