One a scale of 1 to 5  

82 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

After breaking free from the Agents formidable Mobile Command Center and regrouping with his goons at his secret Volcano Base, Dr. Inferno has decided to go on the offensive with a brazen attack on LEGO City using the plans for his sinister new Robot! In his Robot, he is a formidable foe and a great threat to the denizens of LEGO City. Will the Agents be able to stop him in time?

0-1.jpg

Robo Attack

Set #: 8970

Theme: Agents 2.0

Year Released: 2009

Piece Count: 414

Minifigs: 6

List Price: $49.99 USD

So, I really had no intention of reviewing these sets when I bought them today, though I couldn't wait to let everyone know they'd shown up already. But it didn't take much persuasion to get me considering doing this review. This is my first review ever on Eurobricks, so I hope it is up to par and that you enjoy the FIRST review of the Agents 2.0 line! Now, on with the show!

0-2.jpg

Firstly, here is a look at the front of the box.

0-3.jpg

And here is a look at the back.

0-4.jpg

And here is a view of the top, showcasing the six great figures that come in this set!

0-5.jpg

And inside is a single instruction booklet and sticker sheet. The first thing you might notice is that the sticker sheet is small, but contains several small stickers. All in all, the build has twenty-two stickers. The second thing you might notice is the typically tremendous level of care and concern in which LEGO has sent us this instruction booklet.

0-6.jpg

Inside of the box there are a total of four parts bags, and as one might expect the build is a modular one.

Part 1

The cast of characters and their zany vehicles.

1-1.jpg

This is what we'll be building in this first portion.

1-2.jpg

The usual cast of characters. As far as I can tell, these figures are exactly like their previous incarnations. Except this time it seems Chase has a new set of body armor.

1-3.jpg

Here is a better look at the armor, both front and back views.

1-4.jpg

The citizens, all three with dual sided faces, the back side ripe with terror awaiting the arrival of Dr. Inferno's Robot.

1-5.jpg

"Heeeeeeee's heeeeeerrrrrreeeee...!"

1-6.jpg

Two of the citizen torsos have back printing, which is great.

1-7.jpg

Dr. Inferno's small winged plane. Something tells me he's already cooked up an escape route should this Robot not work out.

1-8.jpg

Agent Chase's quad. The Agents seem to have no short supply of these things.

1-9.jpg

Rear view, with anti-Robot grappling hook.

1-99.jpg

Agent Trace's aircraft. Again, the Agents have no short supply.

Part 2

These boots were made for walkin'.

2-1.jpg

And for the second portion, we will construct the legs.

2-2.jpg

Firstly, you construct the two legs as well as the hip area.

2-3.jpg

Next you construct the feet.

2-4.jpg

In the end, you place it all together and get this. This is also about the first time you start seriously smirking and realize you're building an awesome freakin' robot. I suppose the dials on the groin help maintain the environment essential to robot groin physics, as I assume it may be prone to overheating.

Part 3

A PhD in Robots and Gauge Reading.

3-1.jpg\

For part three, we construct the cockpit.

3-2.jpg

Wow! Look at all those dials and gauges. It appears Mr. Inferno got his PhD in gauge reading, as it seems it would take as much education to make sense of this cockpit. Pretty cool looking though, once he is placed inside of it.

3-4.jpg

Both he and his craft are placed inside of it---

3-5.jpg

And it makes for a snug fit. But not quite as snug---

3-6.jpg

As this.

Part 4

Domo arigato, Dr. Inferno.

4-1.jpg

Now it's time to add those killer weapon arms.

4-2.jpg

An extremely short build later, you lock them in place, and he looks like this. But this is no fun...

4-3.jpg

Ahhhh, much better. Or should I say, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

4-4.jpg

The model is extremely well balanced and posable. It looks great in person. No offense to whoever takes photographs for LEGO sets, but it seems that yet again, LEGO is a product that cannot be properly captured on box art. In person, this thing looks fantastic! The colors, the design, all of it is just wonderful.

4-5.jpg

This is the arm that has the light brick in it. It's hard to tell here, but I'm actually pushing it. Without the intrusion of the flash on my camera, it actually looks pretty great.

4-6.jpg

Kind of like this, except not nearly as blurry. :classic:

4-7.jpg

And lastly, the obligatory shot of the extra stuff.

In closing, I have to say, this is a great set. I was most excited for this one out of all the Agents sets. That being said, when I built it, I found it to be even better than I had hoped or expected. Not only is the set hilarious and diabolical, it's fun! As I was building it, I found myself wishing and hoping the Agents line continues past this second wave. The zaniness in it is absolutely fantastic and makes for some really creative sets. The stickers, for the most part, are not difficult to apply, though there are twenty-two of them as I stated before, and most are extremely small. The figures are fantastic. The civilians, with the dual sided faces, make for a phenomenal addition to ANY LEGO City. I have a feeling they'll be turning up time and time again in upcoming MOCs. The parts content, 414, is a little short of the 500 or so I'd expect of a $49.99 set. But in a sense, the 6 figures help ease the pain of the price tag.

I hope you enjoyed my first review here at Eurobricks as much as I enjoyed doing it. I hope you take the time to vote on the poll, and can't wait to hear what some of you think when you purchase this set for yourself. Enjoy!

Edited by mania3

Awesome. Any chance we could get pics of the minifigs from the other sets?

Great review, especially for a first. I love this set; probably the only of the summer Agents that I'll wind up buying. The robot looks great, with some great parts and awesome minifigs. Looks like Agents will be going out with a bang!

Brilliant review! I like your sense of humour :wink:

Six figs! Three new civilians! :wub: :wub: :wub: Lego has really gone to town on this one, hopefully we will see some brilliant new minifigs spilling over into the endlessly recycled City populace. Double-printing on the torsos *and* heads is just icing on the cake.

I think this is easily the best set of the Agents 2.0 line. The egg cockpit is fantastic and the overall shape looks more sophisticated and less blocky than the Exo-Force mecha. Those 1x4 printed control pieces appeared also in 7197 Venice Chase but I wasn't sure if they were new or not; I think they might be. I also like that we get some nice metallic silver pieces such as the tiles and the quad bike handles.

I love the 'flambe' setting on the sticker too :grin:

You've done such a good job on this review, now you have to review the other smaller sets you got too :tongue:

Excellent review for a first one. It's certainly convinced me to get it.

But, I think you need to swap the torsos for the two agents. :wink:

Excellent review for a first one. It's certainly convinced me to get it.

But, I think you need to swap the torsos for the two agents. :wink:

Hahahah. That would explain why I just went and found Chase on my dining room table looking unusually busty.

ooh... i think i found the best hair for a Ginny Weasley fig now. i always hoped lego would make Trace hair in other colors. dream come true!!

How would you like your civilians: toasted, grilled, or flamed? :grin:

^Great, old cartoon humor xD

I love how you did the review, do more! (Castle, castle please?)

I must say, this set is impresive(and expensive),and for now 3 minifigs are exclusive for this set!

I still fighting to not buy it xD

Thanks for the review of this amazing set!

The fact that this set includes so many great minifigs, humour and even a light-brick arm makes this set a must-by for me. The civilians will be a great addition to my town, normal or scared. :devil:

My only complaint with the set is that there could've been a small civilian car for the Inferno-Mech to toss around and the civilians seem like a bit of an afterthought to the design being only three minifigs, but the fact that this is an Agents set not a Town set makes that forgivable.

I'm looking forward to you're reviews of the next sets, which you are doing right?

Nice review and awsome set! So, you got this at legoland california?

Let me see how much flights to Calafornia from Florida cost.... :tongue:

Thanks for the review.

I believe this set would be a top pick for children for its playability and being "cool" with the robot. Even (childish) adults like me find it very interesting! :tongue:

A bit pricy though...

Edited by Alywin

Nice review and awsome set! So, you got this at legoland california?

Yeah. Last year, the day the Pirates sets released in Florida they got them at LEGOLAND too. This year, in addition to what I bought they had the other new big Castle set, the Troll's Mountain Fortress as well as the Power Miners sets. And maybe the new Racers or Technic or Bionicle, not sure as I don't follow these series.

A bit pricy though...

The more I think about it, the light brick and the figure count are probably intended to offset the price a bit. But I might be being a LEGO apologist here, given that I got it for $35 instead of $50.

wooOOOOOOW! :cry_happy: I don't use to like Agents sets very much but this one is magnificent! I think the robot is quite well designed and it include so many and so great MFs! :sweet:

Nice review, btw :wink:

Edited by BlueBard

Thanks for the review mania3!

This set does look really cool. I especially love the new torso prints and the new minifig heads.

Where did you find this? Toys R Us?

I hope that you have some of the other Agents 2.0 sets, because everyone's going to be waiting for them! :tongue:

Those 1x4 printed control pieces appeared also in 7197 Venice Chase but I wasn't sure if they were new or not; I think they might be.

Actually, those are really old. In a LEGO Store, they were in one of the holes for the PAB wall.

Here it is on BrickLink:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2431px17

It was released in 2003. :wink:

Thanks for the review mania3!

This set does look really cool. I especially love the new torso prints and the new minifig heads.

Where did you find this? Toys R Us?

I hope that you have some of the other Agents 2.0 sets, because everyone's going to be waiting for them! :tongue:

I mentioned earlier that I got them all at LEGOLAND, California. And I got 4 of the new sets, the last one is 8971 Aerial Defense Unit and they didn't have that yet.

mania3, thanks for doing this lovely review! It's really very nice, especialy those wonderful great new town civillians. Their torsos are wonderful, and so is the new Agent Trace hairpiece in red, which I believe is it's first. This is a very good Agents set, and I do find it a good addition to be part of my collection. Perhaps, I could match it up with Exo Force, Stealth Hunter and go for a dual, or could Agent Chase sit inside there, and slice and dice Dr Inferno. Highly playable concept, with those robots related design. For me, truly getting this set, is to get those new minifigs' designs. They are so lovely. :wub:

Thanks for sharing it with us. I had seen your Reviewers Academy application. Will be looking forward to work with you inside there, with the rest of your upcoming Agents 2.0 reviews, and of course your new Castle sets too. :wink:

Wow, wow, and again I say, wow! thanks, svelte-corps, for that great review. one question though. How did you get that set so early :sceptic:

Edited by Pirate Pete

I loved those civilians! Windscreen is cool too (or funny?) Stop making me spend money TLG :(

It kind of has that old Exo-Force vibe to it. I wonder if that flame piece is from Ackar, a new bionicle set. This is a definite must buy for me.

Sweet set, I love the touch of a "Flammbe setting. Plus can anyone look at Dr. Inferno's little jet and not shout "Pilder On"?

Wow, wow, and again I say, wow! thanks, svelte-corps, for that great review. one question though. How did you get that set so early :sceptic:

Hey! I'm not svelte-corps. :hmpf_bad: There are OTHER members who get sets early, sir. :tongue:

Hey! I'm not svelte-corps. :hmpf_bad: There are OTHER members who get sets early, sir. :tongue:

Calm down! :tongue:

The EB community are getting hype with Svelty's reviews though, but this is a good review coverage too. :thumbup:

Calm down! :tongue:

The EB community are getting hype with Svelty's reviews though, but this is a good review coverage too. :thumbup:

Oh, I've done plenty of excited dances thanks to his reviews, that's for sure. I'm part of that hype. :classic: