Pieces: 242

Minifigs: 2

Animals: 1 Dog, 1 Owl

Price: US$ up to 119.00, GBP up to 69.99

Recommended Age: 7 - 12

Brickset

Peeron

Brickshelf

Not to be confused with the 4695 Mini Knight Bus, this set containing 242 pieces (most of them being purple) from way back in 2004, still holds a great deal of charm. I've taken it out of storage, dusted the pieces off and am going to take you on a little journey as I put it all back together.

HOLD ONTO SOMETHING!

hp3lego6.jpg

The Contents:

The Instruction Booklet and a small poster!

8b5af8d6.jpg

A random page of the instruction booklet.

aa923278.jpg

The pieces (excluding minifigs).

3b2227eb.jpg

The minifigs (Harry Potter and Stan Shunpike) and various pieces.

566c9e25.jpg

The Build:

75286b7f.jpg99acf80a.jpgdb1fd5a7.jpg979d6bcc.jpg

A few pages in an we get to assemble the first bed, with lovely bright red sheets, comfy looking pillow and smooth pieces on the bottom so it can zoom up and down the bus.

ce321e36.jpg

At this stage of the build there is a picture in the Booklet with Harry and all his things, as if to say this is a good place to stop if this is getting too hard, it looks good right? I can just imagine Harry's face when that turned up... "So where is everyone else going to fit?"

Shall WE continue? I think so!

5ad815a4.jpg

Now we are onto the second level. Is there no such thing as a 1x3 black snot? If not then this would have been the perfect time for TLG to create one. Personally I think here looks very messy! But moving on... We've got to go rescue Harry!

The top of the bus is done.

08639773.jpg

And we are off on our way! Yes Stan, you should be looking at the road!

9178fc1b.jpg

Thank Goodness We got there in time or the extremely small Grey 'Grim' would have eaten him?!? Or something.

312a2332.jpg

Sleep tight Harry, don't let your trunk bite!

ea2d2529.jpg

An Overall View:

The front view.

8ec596df.jpg

The back view.

8c63602f.jpg

The side view.

5591f8fc.jpg

Pieces of Interest:

441af88a.jpg7cfe01ee.jpg43fa1429.jpg

In this section I have included some close up shots of pieces I hadn't seen before, for example the classic swing car door (piece 3188), this is the only set where it is purple :wub:, the comfy pillows are a great little piece to add to any MOC, I am especially glad that they are printed on. (No Dreaded Sticker Sheets for Harry)

b7298aa4.jpgdbe2e657.jpgafbf9796.jpg

Also two (2) Knight Bus signs, the shrunken head on the windscreen and a roll from Harry's trunk! (all printed :wub:)

The Minifigs:

Harry Potter in his casual 'I just ran away from home' clothes.

384f2b45.jpg6690eca8.jpg

Stan Shunpike is his Knight Bus Conductor's uniform.

e924b0a0.jpgf943317d.jpg

The Animals:

The Grin? What's the Grin?

Not the Grin you idiot! The GRIM!!!

03a04a36.jpg

Hedwig! Harry's white owl.

eeb27a89.jpg

What should have been:

aa18ab37.jpg

In this section I am showing the set as it should have been. Don't get me wrong I love this set (as you will see if you continue reading and get to the ratings) but, yes there is a BUT, I wasn't completely happy about a few little things. So, I have slightly modified the bus to make more like the movie as this is what TLG was basing it on also. I have added a driver (Ernie Prang) as Stan is the conductor, NOT the driver. I have also made the Grim a little more realistic. I think TLG copped out a bit here by using the ordinary grey police dog, instead of making it black and/or slightly larger. (Everyone would like a BIG black dog right?)

Ernie Prang, the REAL driver of the Knight Bus!

2cd2b54c.jpg4861425_std.jpg

Stan Shunpike as Conductor not Driver, and a side exit for the bus!

eb77c983.jpge98f5c6fd1a983a2d54dac9cadd61aa71230521786_full.jpg

Conclusion:

Minifigs: 8/10, Harry's casual clothes are nice, Stan's uniform is a nice match to the bus, the only problem is the obvious lack of Ernie.

Parts: 9/10, This set is unique with it's abundance of purple pieces. If you love purple then it is a must.

Design: 7/10, Unlike the movie, this set has a back (not side) door, and no stairs/ladder to the next levels. If this set was made a little bigger, it could have been more accurate. But for what it is, it looks very impressive and TALL

Build: 9/10, A fairly uncomplicated build with enough black set in between so you don't bored from all the purple.

Playability: 9/10, Anything with wheels automatically becomes easy to play with, this set is no exception. I love the way the beds glide up and down, and the sections come off for easy access to all levels.

Price: Back in 2004 when this set came out the price was definitely reasonable, but with Harry Potter sets becoming more and more and more expensive, I am just glad I got it when I did. I'm not going to rate it out of 10 for price as it is not a fair assessment of the original intended price from TLG.

Overall: 8/10, This set, while not essential for everybody, it is essential for any Harry Potter fan. The massive purple bus is a great little set for playing with, using the pieces for MOC's (rare color) or just for display. You can zoom around and rescue Harry any time you wish!

I need to get this set asap!

It has some really great parts!

Great review for an interesting set!

Iz, viewing this review of yours, had made me real regretfor passing out this set, back when those sets are so "commonly available". I thought it was another useless piece of bus, but after reading this review of yours, your insight and the amount of printed parts certainly aroused my interest for it. Well done! :thumbup:

Looking forward to more of your H.P reviews of yours. :wink:

Thanks Guys... this set just looks so cool! and I can prove it. So Boo to whoever Polled badly :wink: , Haha!

I had two different visitors in the last two days that saw all my small HP sets on display and they both only commented on the Knight Bus! and I quote "WOW!!!! Look at that cool bus!" to which I reply "Oh, yeah, Wow! how did that get here?" (not really, i'm just super sarcastic when people make odd comments) and the other comment was very similar. These two separate individuals have no interest in Lego and are both over the age of (I'll be nice) say... 35. And yet they were both Super Impressed with the look of this set.

Done and Dusted. 10 out of 10 for you, my lovely little purple baby. :laugh:

Excellent review, I love how you highlighted all the interesting parts of the set. I remember seeign this set half price ($25 AU at Target) and then reduced to that price with a bonus small Harry Potter set a few years ago but I passed on it because what I had read about the inconsistency in the purple colours. But about two years ago I decided to actually buy it and I don't regret it for a second, even though I paid about $55 AU. Sure the purples don't all match perfectly but they're pretty close, and it has those great features like Sirius in dog form, the bush, the street light and those great beds which slide around the bus.

The bus runs really smoothly and can be incorporated with a city layout. This would be my 2nd or 3rd fave HP set, behind the Shrieking Shack.

But about two years ago I decided to actually buy it and I don't regret it for a second, even though I paid about $55 AU. Sure the purples don't all match perfectly but they're pretty close, and it has those great features like Sirius in dog form, the bush, the street light and those great beds which slide around the bus.

I also passed on this set the first time round and bought it last year for about that price. It's a nice set. So many printed pieces! I couldn't believe it. I thin we're brainwashed these days to expect stickers on everything :wacko:

My only issue was that it had been sealed for so long the old-skool sticky tires had left a bit of residue over some of the other pieces! :laugh:

Oh, what a cute set.

Unfortunately, we don't have this set here in Russia, i envy you ;)

Oh, what a cute set.

Unfortunately, we don't have this set here in Russia, i envy you ;)

...er... no one does. This is an old set and an old review. Please note that we prefer people to not post in old topics without a good reason.