Sign in to follow this  
Eilif

Brickington Courthouse

Here's the next in my series of major Brickington redux's in the run up to Brickworld. This was originally a police station as seen here. A fair enough building, but it needed some work. I removed the black floors along with almost all dark grey on the building, evened out the pillars on the ground floor, re-greebled the front facade, redid the 2nd floor interior, and built a whole new third floor and roof. By the time I had finished, it was no longer a police station, and had transformed into a courthouse. As always, the story...

As the island's economy grows, the Brickington city council has decided to use the windfall in tax revenues for several major municipal projects. The first of these is the renovation of the old courthouse. Built in the 1930's, it was criticized at the time by many as a tacky pastiche of art deco, gothic, and classical styles, but newly renovated, it's active facade is an island icon. The original structure had a weather vane on it's pinnacle, but the newly renovated courthouse now features a bold statue of Lady Justice.

Here's the view from the front. The first two floors are drastically different, but you can see the new textures and the more uniform color scheme.

courthouse_full.jpg

Side. The building can be turned sideways and used as an office building. In the windows you can see a security guard and receptionist.

courthouse_side.jpg

Rear. Aside from there only being one cell now, not too much as changed on the first two floors.

courthouse_rear.jpg

Now for a closer look. Here's the front entrance. I like the way the checker pattern stands out behind the brown of the facade.

courthouse_front.jpg

Stepping inside, a better view of the foyer, and the receptionist police officer.

courthouse_foyer.jpg

now on the second floor, we see the judge in his courtroom and the holding cell next door

courtroom_judgeside.jpg

From the other side, we can see the prisoner in the cell, the lawyer facing the defendant, another attorney and the stenographer.

courtroom_otherside.jpg

Here's the facade of the clocktower. Do you know where I got the idea for the radar-dish-as-window?

courthouse_clock.jpg

The rear of the clocktower. Someday I'll get around to building an interior with gears and such.

courthouse_roof.jpg

Finally, here's Lady Justice. Of course her base is an 8x8 modular section.

courthouse_lady_justice.jpg

Thanks for looking, comments and critiques are welcome.

Great! :sweet: I really like the "chocolate" design of the facade :tongue: and the interiors (love that judge!) and of course your Lady Justice :thumbup:

Great job, Karl! My favourite part would have to be the lady justice on top, though the detailing on the facade is a close second. I love how you've incorporated all the elements of a courthouse into such a small space, and the fact you can turn it around to make it look like a whole different building. I can't wait to see this at Brickworld.

Nice, really nice! I love how it looks!

This looks great, you certainly made great use of a small area, I think the only other place I've seen that window technique is on the building in the banner :tongue:

Nice, really nice! I love how it looks!

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Great! :sweet: I really like the "chocolate" design of the facade :tongue:

Hmm, i hadn't noticed that, but now that you mention it, it does look positively delicious...

I love how you've incorporated all the elements of a courthouse into such a small space

Thanks, I was hoping that it would be a fair balance between getting all the essential details in, without crowding the space.

This looks great, you certainly made great use of a small area, I think the only other place I've seen that window technique is on the building in the banner :tongue:

And we have a winner. That is indeed where I got the idea for the window!

Wow :classic: What a great moc. I really love the detail you've put into each floor.