Sign in to follow this  
The Middleman

PHOTO REVIEW: 7893 Passenger Plane

index2.jpg

Please fasten your seatbelts and put all trays in the upright and locked position.

Passenger Plane is without a doubt a very, very odd set.

On one hand, some pieces are immensely <insert that tiresome argument>. On the other hand, it offers a selection of new and old pieces that look extremely promising.

7893 weights in at 401 pieces and $40, barely breaking the price-per-piece standard.

Now on to the review.

PASSENGER PLANE

101_0173.jpg

The Figs

The Pilot

101_0174.jpg

I really like this new fig. It keeps in the stylized feel of the new CITY workers.

Passenger One

I love the Jonah torso, and I'm glad to see them reuse it.

The Flagger

Under the orange vest is the torso from Airplane Mechanic. I also think that's a new head. Another great figure.

Passenger Two

The only medicore figure of the lot; I think I have a bias against that head though, so don't mind me. Great fig.

The Stairs

101_0178.jpg

This thing is so NIFTY it deserves its own category. Maniacally simple!

The Plane

Let's get right to the meat - the door.

101_0179.jpg

I have quite a few thoughts on the door. As you can see from the photo, the mechanism used to hold it in place is very, very clever. However, the door - from what I've seen so far - has some issues closing. Not that it won't, it's just a bit of a hassle. It detracts just a little from my opinion of the set. However, it DOES offer amazing potential; let me be the first to say this will be used as armor plating on a mecha very fast. Not to mention, this plane could add another dimension to moonbase (can you say 'airlocks?').

The Engines

Now, I have something very, very sad to tell all of you, and it's best to get it over with now. The wings are one piece. No, I do not mean that each one is a single piece. I mean that the main sections of BOTH wings are formed by ONE piece that crosses over the middle as well. I can see it being used in large space MOCs - but don't expect to be getting a million little wing pieces with this set.

The Cockpit

As you can see, it's made up of two pieces... not entirely unusable, but coming fairly close to it.

The Controls

I'm fairly certain that's a new computer slope, and I love it.

First Class

With deluxe swivelly chairs (one side only).

Doorway

First class gets a nice TV! I also like the doorway between first class and the cockpit; sure, a fig can't fit through it, but honestly, who was going to try anyway? It's like the trains.

Second Class

Pretty standard. Red chair stockpile!

The Rear

My favorite part. Note the two suitcases, as well as the refreshment cart, which pulls out (it has, rather than wheels, the upper parts of two 1x2 hinges underneath). Also note the clear glasses, and most importantly; the RETURN OF THE OLD FAUCET. Hooray for LEGO! Oh, and if you haven't noticed, there's a second exit door in the back.

The Tailfin

I know someone'll find a creative use for this. Since I somehow didn't manage to get a good photo of the back of the plane, I'll fill you in - it's all one piece. Pretty boring. There are two large white wings on the sides. That's about it for that.

Aerial View

101_0187.jpg

Underbelly

101_0189.jpg

FINAL VERDICT: n/a

Figs: 9/10 (could have used another)

Pieces: 7/10 (for juniorization)

Set: 8/10 (fun build! Impressive model)

Playability: 9/10

While it scores fairly well in all the categories, I refuse to give this set a final rating. It's a hit-or-miss set; I don't regret buying it, I think it's a lot of fun, and perfectly usable and inventive. However, I know that a lot of people out there will dislike this set, and they'd probably have valid reasons, whether or not I agree with them. So I'll leave this one up to you all; but if you see it lying around and feel like a breath of fresh air, I'd say, what the heck - go for it.

Until next time,

Bloody Jay

Bloody Jay wrote:

Now, I have something very, very sad to tell all of you, and it's best to get it over with now. The wings are one piece

Aw man, I nearly cried when you wrote that.

Anyhoo, this plane may be fairly <insert that tiresome argument> but it is very realistic for LEGO. Compared to the old 1990's passenger planes, this one wins in-comfort, number of passengers, class, two seater cockpit, and the rear of the plane that includes the services, categories.

I really like this plane, but the big useless(for me) pieces turn me away from buying this set.

"Sigh"

Thanks for another awesome review Bloody Jay. :-D

Graynar

Those are some pretty good area-covering pieces there for just 40 bucks!

Sure, some pieces are extremely large, but I also see wacky uses for them.

It's a bit better than I thought, seeing your broken down pics of it.

And the engines do indeed have the rotors, unlike the early pic we saw.

On top of that, for the uncreative people who don't like to moc, it actually LOOKS like what it's supposed to without stretching one's imagination to depressingly non-credible lengths.

I want this.

Thanks for the great review Jay...

But one question, does the plane cabins split into sections? eg first calss can be removed or another class can be added.

Either way, Ill probably buy this set.....

Tks a lot Jay for this great review :oD

Too bad for the wings though but I think this set looks really awsome !!! Can't wait to get my hands on it !!!

The interior has some pretty cool details, I'm quite pleased !!!

OK, after some quick consideration I guess I want it. And since I'm not a MOCer (although being called uncreative is a bit harsh, I'm trying not to feel offended, but maybe I just missed the sarcasm?) the plane will be what it' supposed to: a plane.

The wing really is a disappointment, even if you don't build MOCs, but nothing a dremel can't "adjust". It just takes up too much space, second class could have way more seats.

But I'll get it, whether I've got room for it or not. Thanks a lot for the review :)

thanks for the review, j!

hm... looks like a very nice set, except for the wings but you can easily replace them by customised wings...

the landing gear is also too simple...

apart from that, this doesn't look bad at all...

DAMN THEM!

That door design, I made a simlar thing on my big castle project. BUT BETTER!!!

Pics soon to show ya. Reason I liked it as it holds the door shut tightly, even if you knock it.

Looks great though.

Interested to see if the sections can be pulled apart for LOST mocs.

Lego should have brought out 1x2 tiles with mini peanuts/pretzels for the passengers!

I won't buy it due to obvious juniorization. However, the service section is nice and there are some good parts in the set. If it came with yellow seats instead of red ones (useful for 7725 rebuilds), I would have bought it.

DAMN THEM!

That door design, I made a simlar thing on my big castle project.  BUT BETTER!!!

Pics soon to show ya.

Oh, I'm looking forward to seeing that, I am.

Very good review, Bloodyjay!!!

I cant wait to pick up one myself, when it arrives in the danish toyshops.

I'll skip on this one. I want all SW sets, some city and some Exo-force...and I don't really have all that mucg to spend. I hate the outside of this plane, but the inside is pretty neat :)

Wow i quite like that plane and i dont think the outsides all that bad really. Sure it does have a kinda playmobile feel to it but still its better than some previous planes that weve had and at least this one looks like theres no big holes in it.

The control panels look really good and i like how theyve done the throttles, i also like the bits like the baggage holders and glass rack.

I like this set. This is exactly what a LEGO plane should look like. You still have to build it. It has 401 pieces and when you are done it looks good for display or play. Not the most useful pieces for other mocs but there is a lot to work with here other than the biggest parts. Even the big parts will have many uses I think. This will set the standard for LEGO planes.

This is what I see when I look at the wing piece. ;)

post-9-1132151395.jpg

This set looks really good. The wings being one piece didn't surprise me (they'd sag badly if they weren't), but it looks great, and has lots of details.

Are there any stickers or is it all printed?

I am kinda split on this set, as Jay said. On one hand there are a load of big pieces, hardly re-usable but on the other hand the set seems really good. I think it is accrate to minifig scale and overall looks impressive.

I may pick this up IF it is cheap and there is nothing else for me to buy ;)

Jon.

As I said over at Classic-Castle, this set is something of a disappointment. If LEGO can produce large, well-designed sets for the Star Wars line, is it wrong to expect something similar here? I mean, this set is easily the most <insert that tiresome argument> thing I have ever seen. Sure, for collectors that may be fine, but for builders this set really falls short.

In fact, this set reminds me of 3185.jpg this more than LEGO. I like Playmobil alot, but it isn't a construction toy. LEGO's best feature has always been its unlimited play value. Unfortunately, this set fails to capitalize on this. I can't express how disappointed I am with this set. It looks great, but when it comes to LEGO, looks alone simply aren't enough.

Later.

hm.... sure, there are large parts on this thing, but i don't think it's actually <insert that tiresome argument>. ok, it could have been a 1000-parts set, and that would have made me a lot happier, but 400 parts, large and small, for 30-40

I like this set. This is exactly what a LEGO plane should look like. You still have to build it. It has 401 pieces and when you are done it looks good for display or play. Not the most useful pieces for other mocs but there is a lot to work with here other than the biggest parts. Even the big parts will have many uses I think. This will set the standard for LEGO planes.

This is what I see when I look at the wing piece. ;)

That's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking for the wings. Either that, or on top of a bridge for a space cruiser

Glad you guys are enjoying the review.

I just placed an order for the Rescue Copter and the Ambulance, so expect reviews of those soon as well. Also, I have an Airport Fire Truck coming sometime in the near future. Airport, I'll try to get a hold on ASAP, so stay tuned.

Glad you guys are enjoying the review.

I just placed an order for the Rescue Copter and the Ambulance, so expect reviews of those soon as well.

As I said over at Classic-Castle, this set is something of a disappointment. If LEGO can produce large, well-designed sets for the Star Wars line, is it wrong to expect something similar here? I mean, this set is easily the most <insert that tiresome argument> thing I have ever seen. Sure, for collectors that may be fine, but for builders this set really falls short.

In fact, this set reminds me of 3185.jpg this more than LEGO. I like Playmobil alot, but it isn't a construction toy. LEGO's best feature has always been its unlimited play value. Unfortunately, this set fails to capitalize on this. I can't express how disappointed I am with this set. It looks great, but when it comes to LEGO, looks alone simply aren't enough.

Later.

i do agree with you that it seems to have only a small amount of building ability, but it is a lot better then i thought it was going to be. when i first saw it it reminded me of a duplo airplane that my friend's little sister has, i acutally thought that was what is was only bigger

How can you compare playmobil with Lego???? Come on, people, haven't you realize that the new airplane is a beautiful fusion between lego system scale and the duplo ones???? for me, it is a magnificent set and i am willing to buy it because of the functions, the minifigs, the new pieces, the turbines, the landing system and other functions that of course only having it you can realize of... *satis*