liquidcross

REVIEW: 8010 Darth Vader

indexed.gif

"He's more machine now than man...twisted and evil."

What if Darth Vader was completely mechanical, instead of having a few remnants of his organic past? Well, he might look like this kit right here. Released in 2002 as part of the Star Wars Technic line, here's how the ol' Dark Lord of the Sith would appear if he was made out of many pins, beams, and reinforced liftarms.

Set Info

Set Name: 8010 Darth Vader

Theme: Star Wars

Subtheme: Technic

Released: 2002

Pieces: 400

Price: USD $40.00 / GBP £34.99

Minifigs: n/a

Box Front (nabbed from Peeron, since mine didn't have the box)

8010-box.jpg

Manual

8010-manual.jpg

Random Page

8010-manualpage.jpg

Parts

8010-parts.jpg

Man, what a pile!

Building in Progress

We start out by building the right leg. There's a lot of small Technic axles and liftarms in here!

8010-rightleg.jpg

Next up is the left leg, and it should be noted that the hip joints are constructed differently on either side; this becomes important later. I've placed them together here, so you can get an idea of how they'll eventually join up:

8010-bothlegs.jpg

Now, for the torso! (Sorry that my hand is in the photo; it wouldn't stand up otherwise, due to the codpiece.) This is the only place were stickers were necessary, and the breathing regulator panel in the middle of Vader's chest is sadly an example of STAMP. :( Other than that, the tubes and flex lines add some very cool detail. I love the chain across his chest that's supposed to hold the cape! (Though in the final model, it's just there for decoration; the cape's held on by towballs.)

8010-body.jpg

Once we connect the two legs to the torso, a locking pin snaps into place on the back, strengthening the hip joints as well as locking them to the torso. And we get to add the cape!

8010-fullbody.jpg

He doesn't look too imposing, though. For that, he needs his hideous visage:

8010-head.jpg

While there's been complaints in the past about the red eyes, I think they look great, and add the appropriate amount of menace to the character.

8010-leftarm.jpg

Last but not least, the arms. They're mainly built out of axles and angle connectors, with the right arm having a slightly different configuration so Vader can wield his lightsaber. Once we connect them to the body, and add the head...

Final Model

8010-rightarm.jpg

...then we've got Vader in all his completed glory! The model stands well over a foot tall, and looks great atop any bookshelf or desk. The only problem is that since there's no baseplate for him to stand on, he could easily topple over if the desk or shelf is jostled. (He's like an action figure without a stand.)

8010-completed.jpg

Now, for some cheesy "action features"! You can move Vader's arms up and down using two levers on his back:

8010-levers.jpg

The arms themselves also use rubber bands to allow elbow movement, so you can swing Vader's lightsaber around.

Last Words

Pros: An imposing-looking model, as would befit a Dark Lord of the Sith. The construction is interesting, and everything holds together quite well.

Cons: The shoulder joints might loosen over time, but action features aside, this model's meant for display, not play.

Overall: If you're a fan of the Star Wars Technic models, this one's a no-brainer. Even though it's not a playset, and there's no minifigs, it's a very nice statue to add to your collection. Plus, the price seems to be rather low as far as many older LSW sets go; I was able to get it for under $20, so you can't complain there!

Links

Peeron

Brickset

BrickLink

I like this set, I should've got it. Just one question, why was the different leg assemblies important?

Being one of the few who actually liked these technic SW sets, I like this guy.

He coulb be redone to be amazing nowadays though.

Thankee for thee review.

-VBBN

Thanks for the review. :classic:

I like how a cape was included. Too bad they didn't include one for the UCS General Grievous set. :sad:

By the way, what material is the cape made out of? The usual LEGO fabric?

Just one question, why was the different leg assemblies important?

The left leg is offset a bit, and connects to the center of the lower torso, rather than the left hip. (You can see this a bit in the front body shots, and in the rear shot showing the arm levers.) It helps the entire model to be a bit more stable.

It's not the same stuff used for minifig capes; it's thicker, and has a "velvet" texture on the outside. (The inside has the seams.)

This is a great review liquidcross and I'll make sure to add this to the index along with the other reviews done here.

I've never been a fan of the technic sets from Star Wars, but I must admit that this one looks better than I'd expected.

Thanks

Nice review :thumbup: . I too enjoyed the Star wars technic sets but only having 2 in my collection (DV and Stormie) it is far from compete. You are very lucky, your stickers are in pristeen condition where as mine have all cracked, dried and flaked.

I don't like Technic sets that much either, but this sure is a great model, comparable to the UCS Greivous. I like how they made him seem so non-human, with the red eyes and robot-like hands. The torso has a nice amount of detail, without looking too empty. The only thing I could complain about is the lack of a stand or how TLG skimped on the legs a bit. If this had a poll, I'd rate Above Average. :thumbup:

I have this set! Granted, all of the parts are scattered around in my technic bin, but I can always find the signature helmet and the cape! I loved it (for the short time it wasn't taken apart) and I love your review! Great work.

P.S I've always had way too many trans-red axle connectors...

Just one question, why was the different leg assemblies important?

One's at a slight angle, so he doesn't have a rigid stance; plus, they both lock to the torso to add stability to the entire model.

I think so, but it feels a bit thicker and more velvety.

I think so, but it feels a bit thicker and more velvety.
You already answered my question (your first answer is down there). :look:
It's not the same stuff used for minifig capes; it's thicker, and has a "velvet" texture on the outside. (The inside has the seams.)

Looks cool :thumbup:.

I wish I had gotten at least one of these when they were still in stores, but oh well. :hmpf_bad: