Sign in to follow this  
Danthebrick

Yellowing of stormies

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

That's a great set-up and display you've got there.

I once kept some of the troopers on display, but after discovering that 3 of my scout troopers had gone 'yellow' and a few other minifigs had 'sun-burns', I decided to pack'em all away from the sun.

Thanks Kim. Was going to post a topic at some point on the subject of yellowing. A few on my older scout troopers are suffering from this - is it just put down to sun exposure/time? Has no one found a cure yet or are the effects perminent?

Edited by KimT

Well I know this is off topic but I might have found a cure for stopping Yellowing :classic:

its Methalated spirits, now it might not work but ive tried it on other things that are damaged and it's worked so give it a go :sweet:

CommanderFox

A good question was raised in the "Show your army and display topic", so I've moved it here for all to discuss.

Intresting topic...

I've encounted this, and its really annoying. I'll try CF's Meths idea on a yellowed peice, if it works minifigs may be next...

I'm yet to find a cure. But gees, it's annoying... along with brittle/ripping stickers :angry:

Ive also found that the Meth doesn't even touch the decal-printed pieces or stickers it just takes off the bad bits :tongue:

see how it goes...

CommanderFox

Well ive recently bought a large amount of white pieces for a ucs Shuttle Tydirium and a lot of the white is yellowing or completely brown, what i do is soak them in neat bleach for a few days and if they are still yellow leave them in direct sunlight until white again.

Thanks Kim. Was going to post a topic at some point on the subject of yellowing. A few on my older scout troopers are suffering from this - is it just put down to sun exposure/time? Has no one found a cure yet or are the effects perminent?

I've had a large army of stormtroopers for a long time now and they've gradually gotten a little yellower as time has gone by. My Imperial shuttle too has felt the onset of yellowing. I've kept them on display out of direct sunlight for the best part of 10 years now, so I put it down to age. It's good this has been raised as a topic - I might try out some restoritive measures and see if it helps.

Intresting topic...

I've encounted this, and its really annoying. I'll try CF's Meths idea on a yellowed peice, if it works minifigs may be next...

I'm yet to find a cure. But gees, it's annoying... along with brittle/ripping stickers :angry:

I hear that! The stickers on my (original) RGS spontaneously started flaking off leaving behind that sticky residue... was so annoyning! Fortunately my wife found this solution that removes 'sticky-stuff'; after stripping all the stickers and cleaning it with the solution my RGS looked sweet again :wink:

I hear that! The stickers on my (original) RGS spontaneously started flaking off leaving behind that sticky residue... was so annoyning! Fortunately my wife found this solution that removes 'sticky-stuff'; after stripping all the stickers and cleaning it with the solution my RGS looked sweet again :wink:

...But then you have no stickers, and the RGS stickers (original) cost a killing!

The same thing happened to the stickers of my RGS and sadly a new complete sticker shit of this set goes for more then $40 :cry_sad: , which is pretty expensive considering they are just STICKERS :hmpf: .

I've never used meth, but a little bleach worked for my white pieces. You just have to be careful not to let them sit in too long; the pieces start deteriorating if left overnight. I too have kept some white pieces away from possible sunlight, but humidity eventually saps the dust on, leaving a yellow residue over time (which can be washed off with warm water and light soap). As for my old stormies, I just keep them stored away in a cabinet, away from any light, moisture, and they are still white as new. When my display is done, I will keep it covered by a UV proof plexi glass case, illuminated by artificial lighting.

The same thing happened to the stickers of my RGS and sadly a new complete sticker shit of this set goes for more then $40 :cry_sad: , which is pretty expensive considering they are just STICKERS :hmpf: .

Did you mean to say that? :tongue:

I don't have stormies, but I have Clone Troopers. :tongue: Prevention is the best cure, so protect them from extended hours in the sun when not being used. Fixing them after the damage has been done, well that's beyond me.

...But then you have no stickers, and the RGS stickers (original) cost a killing!

To be honest the stickers don't add a great deal to the model - especially not in the way the new ones do. As it is, it was a while ago this happened and I managed to buy a replacement sheet which didn't cost that much at all. I haven't applied them, just keep them safe :wink:

Here is the only answer you will ever need:

Recipe - http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Retr0Bright+Gel

Application - http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Using+Retr0Bright

The gel is for use with ABS plastics only. There are a few LEGO bricks that are made from other materials such as polycarbonates and rubber but 98% of all bricks are made with ABS. Just don't use it on clear bricks (which don't yellow anyway).

Incidentally this works on any colour brick, not just white.

Here is the only answer you will ever need:

Recipe - http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Retr0Bright+Gel

Application - http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Using+Retr0Bright

The gel is for use with ABS plastics only. There are a few LEGO bricks that are made from other materials such as polycarbonates and rubber but 98% of all bricks are made with ABS. Just don't use it on clear bricks (which don't yellow anyway).

Incidentally this works on any colour brick, not just white.

Sounds promising Legoscum but have you actually tried it personally? I don't won't blow my house up or get arrested as terror suspect! - those recipes look lethal!

I keep my stormies under my bed in a box, so they have not gone yellow yet. :thumbup: