Sign in to follow this  
Natman8000

8956 Stone Chopper

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

The Stone Chopper is part of the new and so far successful power miner line. The theme originally was thought to bad and full of technic. We all thought of the worst. But now we can see that more than a few people have changed their minds!. This is the smallest of the Power Miners theme. So do you think this set is any good? Lets find out!

Name: 8956 Stone Chopper

Parts: 31

Minifigures:2

Price: US. 5.99, UK. 3.89, EUR 4.39

Year Released: 2009

S@H

Bricklink

Peeron

S@H-

"When the Power Miners are in a jam, they send out the Stone Chopper! This tough excavation cycle packs some serious speed and mining power, thanks to its twin rock-cutting saws that automatically spin as it rolls. Features saw bike with fierce spinning saw blade wheels! Includes miner and rock monster! Combine with #8957 Mine Mech to build the Cave Cutter!"

On to the review!

Box-

8956-box.jpg

The new box art for the power miners is really nice! The dirty and industrial theme works well. When I went to the store to buy this, it was the first thing that caught my eye!

Minifigures-

img_0257.jpg

These are great minifigs. The rock monster is fun, you can stick things in his belly.

Backs

img_0258.jpg

The minifigs in this set are really nice. The printing on him is very detailed. The rock monster is a fun little gimmick. The miner has a double head, one normal, one scared-img_0259.jpg

The parts-

img_0235.jpg

A decent selection, there are some newly colored elements here. Some highlights would be the orange blades.

The build-

Part one-The chasis-

3450014859_e64ce362d4.jpg

Two-

3450014939_d211149694.jpg

Three-

3450015031_27084e3e59.jpg

Finished shots-

3451433328_b14204147b.jpg

Some nice stickers in the front, great detail there.

img_0247.jpg

3454480788_75a7bffb53.jpg

There are really fun parts to this set. It rolls along well, perfect for running over other minfigs!

Ratings:

Design7/10 It works well as an industrial motorcycle and I feel the main problem are the holes on the frame.

Parts: 6/10 There is a nice assortment, but there are too many technic bits in a small system set.

Price: 8/10 For $5.99 you are getting a nice model with great minifigs, but there are only 31 pieces, they should of had more accessories like the dynamite.

Playability: 9/10 Certainly fun to wheel around and fight the rock monster but it is limited to that.

Overall 7.5/10 A very good little set that is easy to build and very appealing to most. This a good example of what the theme is like, a nice mix of technic and system and the color scheme of lime green and orange parts. I would definitely suggest for anyone to buy this set. Its inexpensive, fun, and a good way to sample the theme!

And one for fun-

3450015143_43c9eaae88.jpg

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed

This set is kind of weak in my opinion. The Granite Grinder is much better and it's only a few bucks more.

Good review!

This set is kind of weak in my opinion. The Granite Grinder is much better and it's only a few bucks more.

Good review!

I agree. I had the granite grinder and enjoyed it more as well. If this set was less technic based it could have been better.

I agree. I had the granite grinder and enjoyed it more as well. If this set was less technic based it could have been better.

It's not so much the technic that bothers me, it's more the laziness in design. The technic rod that sticks out unnecessarily in the back, the crystal mounted on the side for some weird reason, the shameful excuse for an engine, etc.

If this set was less technic based it could have been better.

I agree!

Another thing is that the Chopper has lots of parts that don't stay in place, and why a ruby sticking out of the side? The stickers are also useless. I think this set is about 'average'. :sick:

Well, my 5-year-old seems to like this set a lot! :classic:

My major problem with this "bike" is that it's immensely out of proportion with the minifig. A bike where you can hardly reach the steering handles while standing & reaching up?!?

The figs, on the other hand, I find excellent as well. The monster is kinda cute, and I love the miner's head, because I can fit it in my Castle army. :tongue:

It's not so much the technic that bothers me, it's more the laziness in design. The technic rod that sticks out unnecessarily in the back, the crystal mounted on the side for some weird reason, the shameful excuse for an engine, etc.

I agree, the technic is fine in a small set, but they could've put in another row of piston things on the engine and a 4 log rod instead of that 5 long rod.They also could've put a rubber band around the front middle wheel.

My major problem with this "bike" is that it's immensely out of proportion with the minifig. A bike where you can hardly reach the steering handles while standing & reaching up?!?

i dont think that it has to be in proportion with the minifig. a minig bike could be much larger than a regular motorcycle.

I agree, the technic is fine in a small set, but they could've put in another row of piston things on the engine and a 4 log rod instead of that 5 long rod.They also could've put a rubber band around the front middle wheel.

the engine would be nice, but the 5 long rod can easily be fixed if it bothers you that much. i tried putting a rubber band on the middle wheel and it looks horrible! it doesnt maich the color scheme and isnt large enough to be used as a tire.

on my bike i added a headlight (kinda necissary when you are in an underground tunnel with no light :wink: ) and took off the little red jewel (im not going to complain that its there because its a cool piece that i want more of)

i really like this set. sure its not as good as the granite grinder, but i think the designer did a good job for such a small set.

also, one is never too old and never tires of zooming a toy motorcycle around on the floor and making sound effects while doing outragous stunts involving lots of crashing and exploding :wub::wink::laugh:

anyway, all in all a nice little set and a great review!

(i now have 60 posts! :wub: yay!)

Edited by calebexo01

Agreed, there are better sets that only cost a little bit more. Like the mine mech and grinder. Really they should take a dollar off the price here and it would be perfect.

Still, its a good army builder as you get a rock monster and miner.

Everytime I see it in the stores I'm tempted to buy just one more...

I keep thinking that I'll just take off the rear wheel and handlebars, then mount it onto one of the bigger vehicles as a little saw blade arm accessory.