• Below Average
    • Poor

8259 Mini Bulldozer

Theme: Technic

Released: 2009

Price: 10 USD / 7.85 GBP / 10 EUR

Pieces: 165

Introduction:

We get at least a couple of mini Technic sets each year. Normally these sets are quite expensive when it comes to price/part ratio so I normally stay away from them. This little one here was shining so bright and I had to order one!

We have three booklets for instructions, two for the main model and one for the alternate model:

We're not getting many alternate model instructions any more. While it's good to have these in hand, I'd prefer to download them for the sake of mother nature.

00.jpg

Parts come in three polybags, there are no loose parts in the box:

No numbered bags, but for such a tiny model there is no need for it. The tread/link poly looks yummy!

01.jpg

All the inventory is here except for the 53 treads/links:

Each tread/link is 3 stud wide and when connected they are one stud long.

02.jpg

Extra parts for the main model, no stickers:

That one extra tread/link makes me happy, yeah I'm so cheap!

03.jpg

Building in progress:

04.jpg

05.jpg

Main model is complete:

I think it's the cutest set TLG has ever produced. I could eat with some ketchup.

06.jpg

07.jpg

You can lower or rise the front with the help of a worm gear:

You just need to turn a bush on the back.

08.jpg

Here's the alternate model:

It's just as interesting as the main one.

09.jpg

The handler functions if you turn the yellow axle connector:

10.jpg

11.jpg

Top side can rotate 360 degrees just like the real ones:

Top part is connected to the tread/link section with a pin.

12.jpg

You get plenty of extra parts if you choose to build the alternate model:

13.jpg

Folder when public:

Brickshelf

Rating:

-Parts: 9/10 We 53 Technic treads/links and for such a small sized set it can't get any better. But the lack of liftarms may be disturbing for some.

-Price: 10/10 Again, those treads/links are expensive parts. I'm more than happyo to get them 53 of them at 10 Dollars.

-Design: 10/10 Seriously, this is the only small Technic set which made want to buy. Does it get any cuter ??

-Building: 8/10 The alternate model has two functions while the main one has one. I think that's quite acceptable.

-Total: 37/40 If you haven't ordered one already, it means you haven't seen it yet.

Conclusion:

If you like construction vehicles, you're very likely to get two of this set since it offers two very interesting models. Right next to their bigger brothers, these little devils will be great on displays. Apart from the cuty factor, I'm sure many people will want this set just for the treads/links since they have been rather rare so far. It's nice to get a handful of them for such a small price. So it's obvious that 8259 will strike many people from different angles. I say we have a winner here, two thumbs up !

Links:

Brickset Reviews

Bricklink Entry

Peeron Inventory

Notes:

-I'm sorry that images turned out to be grainy and dark. My bulbs are dead and I had to rely on the sun in a cloudy day.

Thank you for the review, the pictures look just fine on my screen, and they are sharp, not shaken as we see from time to time on EB.

I voted above average, in the context of comparing this set with similar ultra-small Technic sets. It's a cute set, and I will hopefully pick up two, as suggested :classic:

Front

This is actually my favorite set of the year so far. It's cheap, includes nice pieces, and both models have good functionality for their size. The main model displays great next to the bigger 8275. I got three of them a while ago.

The only thing is that three instruction manuals were unnecessary for something of this size. It's harder to store all these little ones instead of a single, larger one. :tongue:

I bought this the other day and I think its a great little Technics model. The raising mechanic is neat (the worm gear which works like its very big brother) and the model is very good looking. I've got it sitting next to my 8275 Bulldozer and together they look awesome! I might buy another one to go with it :)

I received this set as a birthday present from my mother in law. I am totally in love with it because it looks so great. At first it has its home in front of its big brother 8275. But since a few weeks it is sitting on my desk in front of my computer monitor. And every time I look at it a smile comes to my face because it is so cute!

I received this set as a birthday present from my mother in law.

Don't get me started on mothers in law........

But these small models like the 8260 are really cute!

I just ordered another one of these to build the alternate model. This one will sit next to the awesome Motorized Excavator 8043 :)

Thanks for good review. I think, that mini Technic sets aren't good - they are to small. TO many instruction booklets :thumbdown: . Why TLG don't make only one instruction? Not good...

Thanks for good review. I think, that mini Technic sets aren't good - they are to small. TO many instruction booklets :thumbdown: . Why TLG don't make only one instruction? Not good...

I have no idea why they have two instruction books for the smaller sets, it makes no sense. They try to save the planet by reducing the ink quality in their printing (which results in grey and black looking too similar) but they then print off two manuals when they could compact it into one. Seems like broken logic to me.

I DO think that most of the minisets are great.

The are nice models to get young(er) kids to get into Lego Technic.

the two buildinginstructions don't matter.

Just built the alternate Excavator model and its just as nice as the Bulldozer, although it uses far less elements (lots a spares!).It looks ace sitting next to 8043, its VERY big brother.

I'd quite like a mini Front Loader set now to go along with the brilliant 8265 from last year.

I'd quite like a mini Front Loader set now to go along with the brilliant 8265 from last year.

You can only make a front loader so small. There's a mini 8418 loader that is not articulated:

8418isosmall.jpg

And there's also an articulated loader 8453 that is pretty small but not exactly mini:

8453isosmall.jpg

But the loaders look the best when they are all together. :tongue:

loaders1small.jpg

You can only make a front loader so small. There's a mini 8418 loader that is not articulated:

8418isosmall.jpg

And there's also an articulated loader 8453 that is pretty small but not exactly mini:

8453isosmall.jpg

loaders1small.jpg

Looks like you'll be buying another 8043 to have the alternate model (Tracked Loader) to add to your collection :)

loaders1small.jpg

You just had to rub it in, right? (I do agree though :) )