Sign in to follow this  
Asquian

Tropico 2: Pirate Cove pirate cave

thindexedgif.gif 73c

A full gallery can be found at my blog.

PirateCave1.jpg

LegoPirateCave1.jpg

This is my first foray into making any kind of custom kit based on, well, anything. I still have some work I'd like to do on it, enlarge the skull and the chimney to make it a little more in scale with the in game model, and get the bricks more uniform in color, but I'm happy with how this first effort turned out.

I think you just need to make it wider and you will have it spot on. You obviously have the building skill to do this, do you just need a bigger baseplate?

I think you just need to make it wider and you will have it spot on. You obviously have the building skill to do this, do you just need a bigger baseplate?

I actually have the baseplates I need, I used the ones here mostly because they were close at hand.

I'm still early on in the hobby and need to increase my brick collection on a budget, so as I manage to find them through various channels I'll be able to really flesh this out.

Right now I'm building based on bricks I have from all but 1 of the current Pirate sets(still need to buy the ship) and the Pirate's Skull island set. Oh and the city advent calendar.

My plan is to hit up yard sales for Lego lots over the summer to expand my resources, while also saving up to pick up a couple more of the new sets.

My plan is to hit up yard sales for Lego lots over the summer to expand my resources, while also saving up to pick up a couple more of the new sets.

There are a lot of people on Craigs List buying LEGO, but despite that, I have bought three whole collections in the last three months. I plan on putting ads in some regional papers soon as well.

-Super

I've picked up some great deals on craig's list over the years as well. You have to be fast and vigilant because it is very competitive but you can get great deals and lots of bricks for very little money (relatively speaking). Unless people are being unreasonable about the price don't try and haggle because the sells get inudated with offers and interested parties. I just sold through craigs list 35 lbs of space and train and other parts I had separated out over the years and the response was overwhelming.

Cool skull cave by the way!

I do keep an eye on Craigslist, I may have to consider setting up a buy ad, as i rarely see sell ads for legos for my region.

I do keep an eye on Craigslist, I may have to consider setting up a buy ad, as i rarely see sell ads for legos for my region.

I have not recieved EVEN ONE message from my buy ad. I bought the three collections by sending messages to people with "lego for sale" ads. I guess they don't look to see if anyone is buying first? Thats makes sense to me.

-Super

I have not recieved EVEN ONE message from my buy ad. I bought the three collections by sending messages to people with "lego for sale" ads. I guess they don't look to see if anyone is buying first? Thats makes sense to me.

-Super

I've had some luck w/ buy ads. and if should not turn anything up, well, that's what yard sales are for! :)

A good start, I hope you can improve on this. I Like the concept, and I think you did a good job with what you already did.

An Ebay bulk lot arrival gave me some more fodder to expand on this MOC. I'm pretty happy with it now. The top skull section can come off to reveal the cave interior, My next project is to furnish the pirate's stashing cave.

I went ahead and included the original comparison pics again for convenience.

Cave1.jpg

PirateCave1.jpg

Cave2.jpg

PirateCave2.jpg

Cave3.jpg

PirateCave3.jpg

Cave4.jpg

PirateCave4.jpg

The only shame is the lot didn't have an anchor. Ah well, I'll get one eventually!

Nice MOC, I see you have some good skills already, this could be very promising! It looks a lot like the picture, great job, good start :pir-classic:

Me loves that game! Best carribean soundtrack and gameplay ever!

Your MOC is spot on! The only thing I notice is the black plank which should be attached to the fence, not stuck in the barrel.

Forgive my ignorance :pir-blush: , but what was the source of inspiration for this? I mean, other than the pic at the top.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropico_2

Me loves that game! Best carribean soundtrack and gameplay ever!

Your MOC is spot on! The only thing I notice is the black plank which should be attached to the fence, not stuck in the barrel.

Yeah. the weird thing is one angle shows it sticking out of the fence, but another angle makes it look like it's coming out of the barrel.

Yeah. the weird thing is one angle shows it sticking out of the fence, but another angle makes it look like it's coming out of the barrel.

Small texture glitch I think.

I like the update, it looks much more accurate now. :thumbup:

I am not too fond of the ground colour though, are you planning to change that?

Good luck further with the build! :pir-sweet:

Small texture glitch I think.

I like the update, it looks much more accurate now. :thumbup:

I am not too fond of the ground colour though, are you planning to change that?

Well, I don't have much in the way of tan or yellow baseplates on which to base this at this time. If I should get an expansion of those pieces later I may make some modifications.

Tropico Pirates is one of my favorite games to play. I love to send out Big ships, I have owned the game for 3 years and I still have not beaten it. By the way, your loot stash looks very similar to the one in the game. Good Job :thumbup: