Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

What's Next for Lego Trains?

trains.jpg

While some of us still don't have our Emerald Night, and others wait to see what else Lego may add to the new rail line, what do you think will be next?

A few train cars to add to the beautiful Emerald?

Another awesome locomotive?

Perhaps a Wild West steam train?

A classic 1900s train station?

Or other trackside additions?

Where might Lego take the new train line?

Share your thoughts.

A wild west train would be really nice but I can see it happening. I think they would want to go with flashy, fresh, and expensive trains. I know they used to sell train parts by them self, that would be incredible if they did that again. Maybe a re-release of the santa fe in Emeral night style? That is a possibility. It would be nice to get individual parts for the emerald Night, I think it would be a great way to get those windows :wub:

I really, really hope there will be more cars for 10194 Emerald Night.

My guess otherwise would be a detailed deisle and some more EN cars, then that's it for the AFOL trains.

I hope too, that one of the 8 channels of the PF controller could be used for maybe some signals, and more likely, a level crossing with opening gates. Noe that WOULD be cool.

Nice thread TheBrickster, now I'm really getting into a train mood! I just wish LEGO would release the PF kit in Aussie soon.

I think it's definately time for a new level crossing. In addition, some track-side structures would be awesome.

I'm really wondering if new items might be in the 1900s style like the Emerald Night, or just a collection of various trains from different eras. It's fun to speculate. :sweet:

Not to burst bubbles, but my hope is that they release a relatively low price point PF train starter set, ala Metroliner. I want to see something to replace the RC trains, with a decent price point for Christmas so that kids can get hooked on trains. Kids are the AFOLs of tomorrow, afterall.

Right now, I don't care about AFOL needs for train. We got our EN. Now we need a train suitable for kids to build with their parents.

ALTHOUGH, if I had my druthers, that new train set would include more than 2 straight pieces, and also include some of these:

55423.1199412378.jpg

I love these wheels over the trucks/wheel-sets of old.

-John

I'm hoping for a smaller scale (maybe 4 wide?) light rail. There was a hint of such a thing in that "vote for one of these three new City sets" contest from a few weeks back.

Sadly, I don't think we'll ever see a resurrection of the monorail (from what I heard, the company that made the motors went out of business, and the monorail track molds were destroyed), so a brand new light rail system to replace it would be really great.

I'm not sure if we are going to see alot of Train Products for sale to the general public in Non-LEGO brand stores.

I've spoken to LEGO employees and though Emerald Night is currently in LEGO stores. There are currently no plans to bring the PF train kits even to LEGO Brand to stores, so it will remain (For now) a mail order only product.

I suspect that LEGO will have some sort of kid-friendly train product eventually, but if this current trend continues we may see LEGO trains as a more limited range, niche product than ever before. If this is the case, then I suspect that we will not see many trackside structures or stations, but will periodically get a release of a train set or train cars. My best guess will be that we will see a deisel loco next, and possibly some additional cars, with a smaller size steam loco in '10 or '11.

I think we won't see regular kid-oriented train kits until autumn next year. What I do hope is that LEGO takes a look back at how they designed and priced the trains pre-'96. For example having the cheapest trains be freight trains, which are versatile in extras, while the big, fancy train can be a passenger train, which has limited possible accessories. Both of these should be motorised, and if the market reacts possitively, maybe also have an ultra-cheap unmotorised freight train, buildings and cars for these trains. Plus a motor kit, which includes both train and road wheel so the kids can build motorised trucks for their city, alternatively motorise their push-train.

I absolutely believe that's the way LEGO should go with their trains.

i'd like to see more then one type of Train station, Switchhouses, and maybe even a Rail depot line of warehouses and stuff.

Also, i'd love to see elevated track. not sure how the new PF function handles that seeing as i don't have any.

I really, really hope there will be more cars for 10194 Emerald Night.

My guess otherwise would be a detailed deisle and some more EN cars, then that's it for the AFOL trains.

I hope too, that one of the 8 channels of the PF controller could be used for maybe some signals, and more likely, a level crossing with opening gates. Noe that WOULD be cool.

Nice thread TheBrickster, now I'm really getting into a train mood! I just wish LEGO would release the PF kit in Aussie soon.

I hope Lego Make seperate matching carriage for the Emerald Night. Especially a Dining Car, Sleeper car and Post Car. ALso having a couple more passenger coaches labeled "Second Class" and "Third Class". My first one at the moment is First class and you do get Second and Third class stickers on the sheet. Can't wait

Do you know what would be absolutey cool, amazing and fantastic? A turntable for trains with several engine sheds! I've seen one or two for 9V on brickshelf. No idea how the rails of the turntable and the rails leading to the engine sheds were provided with electricity. Anway, with RC tracks and PF-trains a turntable could be built much more easily. Well, I fear I'm expecting too much from TLC...

Edited by legotrainfan

Next up I hope will be a generic coach kit for extending the Emerald Night's load. The instructions would tell you how to build a standard non-compartment coach, but there'd be enough parts included to make anything from a sleeping car to a kitchen car. The latter would be a perfect match for the dining car in the original set...

After that, who knows? Probably diesel and electric trains with no particular prototypes, cheaper and easier to build, aimed at a younger market than 10194. Meanwhile, I have a saddle tank MOC in mind...

What I want is a nice red and white German style Diesel/Electric type loco pulling a freight train with a tank car, box car, and brake van/flat bed car. could be aimed at children also.

That's a great and very interesting topic, TheBrickster! :thumbup:

What I think:

- 2 train cars (a sleeping car and a regular passenger car) this summer/fall as addition to the Emerald Night

- no PF trains next year (TLG asked for our input on new City sets for 2010 - and what I see when browsing the web is that trains are not that much proposed plus PF driven trains are much too expensive)

- regrettably no train accessory sets (like engine shed, cargo loading station, level crossing etc.) at least as long as there will be new regular sold train sets

- regrettably no Western train before we will get a new Western theme - and even then I regrettably doubt it

A very pessimistic view but I think that TLG will not release any new train sets - at least not any regular sold train sets next year since I can well imagine City 2010 will be more based on e. g. a winter theme, a transportation (not train) theme and a shop and/or housing area theme. But that's of course what I think.

Klaus-Dieter

What trains do you want Lego to produce in the future? More real locos (Super Chief,BNSF), if so which ones? What kind of cars will it pull, will they be sold seperatly? Post what you want the future lego trains to be like.

What I want.

1. A way to make hood-body locos (BNSF) with all the PF stuff in the loco itself.

2. A way to make shunter locos.

3. seperately sold rolling stock, like My Own Train.

4. A rerelease of the Super Chief since it is easily converted to PF, or so I've heard.

5. A deisel freight engine of some sort. Are there any car-body locos that pull freight or are they all passenger?

6. More trackside structures, stations, cranes, etc.

Also because this doesn't need its own topic I'll put here.

250px-Atsf19.jpg

Not really relevent but funny and train related.

I'd like lego to produce a train based on the old A4s like Mallard.

Maybe an art deco looking station and some awesomely detailed carriages.

Obviously, more REALISTIC steam engines. Like the emerald night. The Hiawatha would be nice:

hiawatha-3.jpg

What trains do you want Lego to produce in the future? More real locos (Super Chief,BNSF), if so which ones? What kind of cars will it pull, will they be sold seperatly? Post what you want the future lego trains to be like.

Madcat: I've merged this topic into one started a few months ago.

I would like a smaller train but one as detailed at the Emerald Night but in the $60 price range. It wouldn't have to be as long and you would buy cars separately. Maybe in dark blue?

I think a small, cheap but detailed shunting loco would be great. Although I'm not sure where the battery could go. :hmpf_bad:

What I think LEGO will release:

-extra cars for the Emerald Night;

-a cheaper high-speed passenger train, like the RC ICE set, but with PF;

-a big freight train set

-a train station

What I would like to see:

-a rack railway;

-more steam engines like the Emerald Night;

-seperate sold cars and engines;

-older electric engines;

-a roundhouse with turntable. Although I think this will be expensive and difficult if you want to add it in a lay-out (because of the pit).

I think this folder shows great ideas too.

What I think LEGO will release:

-extra cars for the Emerald Night;

-a cheaper high-speed passenger train, like the RC ICE set, but with PF;

-a big freight train set

-a train station

What I would like to see:

-a rack railway;

-more steam engines like the Emerald Night;

-seperate sold cars and engines;

-older electric engines;

-a roundhouse with turntable. Although I think this will be expensive and difficult if you want to add it in a lay-out (because of the pit).

I think this folder shows great ideas too.

I'd quite like to seen this. The Armour Train from Goldeneye...

Armour-train.jpg

Hello all!

I think TLG will go for another smaller freight steamer. Maybe something along the lines of this little fellow http://www.mortonsbooks.co.uk/bzbsp/image1.jpg

I'd love to see a little diesel like this http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/7/5/....1159905600.jpg and a Virgin Pendolino or Thunderbird express http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2279/230051...026f149d0_b.jpg http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/9/3/....1105828980.jpg but it's not likely.

Hello all!

I think TLG will go for another smaller freight steamer. Maybe something along the lines of this little fellow http://www.mortonsbooks.co.uk/bzbsp/image1.jpg

I'd love to see a little diesel like this http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/7/5/....1159905600.jpg and a Virgin Pendolino or Thunderbird express http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2279/230051...026f149d0_b.jpg http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/9/3/....1105828980.jpg but it's not likely.

hi jimoakley666 and welcome to eurobricks.

i completealy agree lego should make a british freight train as they did with santa-fe and bnsf so emerald night and a 66,55,57,47,37 (all british train fans will now what i mean) i only think its fair. and if the did i think they would make a 'deltic' (see link 55) as it is a famous american and english train mix.

Brickimad

the armoured train you see is a british class 20 but with a changed front. (not to mention it but i would love to see that i lego as well)

:pir-wink: cb :pir-laugh: