1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

indexed.gif

Hello to all Eurobricks members and avid Pirates' Fans,

For most of our friends in other regions such as US and Europe, I am sure you have enjoyed a fair share of excitement for this highly anticipated Pirates theme this year. For collectors in Asia, we managed to see these awesome Pirate sets only at the start of this month which is quite a long wait since it was release late December. With that in mind, I will like to express my thoughts that I am extremely excited to see such a long awaited theme re-appeared once again to satisfy the hearts and minds for avid Pirates’ collectors.

Name: Cannon Battle

Theme: LEGO System / Pirates

Year: 2009

Pieces: 45

Minifigs: 2

Price: USD$5.99, GBP 3.89, SGD$12.90

Resources: Brickset, Peeron

An image of a 6239, Cannon Battle

1.jpg

A rear image of a 6239, Cannon Battle

2.jpg

Loud bangs can be heard at the faraway coastal lands, where sounds of cannon balls are shot towards hostile pirates’ ships and crew. With its signature iconic firm design structure, this is where the Imperial Royal Navy shall make its stand with its invincible Cannons that are one of the winning determinants in both naval and land battles.

This small Cannon Battle set is indeed a dream come true for many army builders to build upon a large vassal of Cannon Squadron or Battalion within the ranks of the Imperial Royal Navy for an affordable price. It comes with wide range of accessories and allowing collectors to expand both sides’ personnel at the same time. This is definitely one of the great ways to conscript your Imperial Soldiers or Pirate Crew.

Instruction Manual and Contents polybags

3.jpg

This is a section of the 6239 Instruction manual, which depict building instructions for the Stone Wall defense. There is two sealed polybags inside the box. As you can see, the smaller fragile elements are placed at the smaller bag.

Useful parts and accessories

31.jpg

Now, let’s take a closer look on what this Cannon Battle set offers in terms of its accessories. There are many useful parts and accessories which deserved to be highlighted in this picture. In one set, you are able to own distinct looking cannon that have a great playing feature which will be discussed below.

Green lovers will definitely love to get a chance to own these 1x1 rounds with 3 bamboo leaves. Weapons and clothing such as two blue epaulettes, brown musket and two cutlasses are useful accessories for your minifigs. The fire stick is made up of new elements which consist of the flame and spy glass. This fire stick does provide a very useful way of igniting the cannon. Lastly, a printed Indiana Jones map which was first released in the 7620 Motorcycle Chase and it’s now widely used in the Pirates theme.

Spare parts

12.jpg

The remaining spare parts consist of the following above. There is nothing special about the additional boost of parts, except for the blue epaulette and cutlass.

Notice something unusual?

5.jpg

Take a careful look at both set of minifigs’ illustration. There is something unusual on their appearance. Apparently, both of their faces are swapped in the instruction manual. Well, I am sure buying multiple sets in general will lead us to modify their appearance accordingly to make them look least generic.

Cannon mechanism?

33.jpg

I am getting excited over such a small playing feature above. Yes, this is my very first cannon. I don’t have earlier cannon that were released during the days of Classic Pirates and were unable to provide a comparison. However, I am very fascinated by its cannon mechanism which allow us to pull back the handle and upon release, a 1x1 round brick will be shot out of the barrel. IMHO, this is way much better and fun compared to those flicking fire missiles in Castle and Star Wars.

Take a look at our participants in this fearsome duel

35.jpg

36.jpg

Look at the both of them. Aren’t they fearsome looking? Indeed they are, the Pirate is your regular crewmate that participates in the 6240 Kraken Attackin’ and 6243 Brickbeard’s Bounty. I do like the Pirate’s head appearance due to its clean looks. Well, his appearance looks less rugged that your typical pirates, even with its moustache around his cheek.

On the right side, you can see a typical soldier that is widely available and common in the Imperial Royal Navy. I am not fond of his appearance as it looks least generic and does not appeal to me to apply it for army building. The Imperial Red coat uniform is standard across the Imperial Royal Navy, but that is one missing accessories for these soldier. It is the backpack. Unlike the 8396 Soldier’s Arsenal that includes the backpack for the soldier to carry which will make it much complete compared with this version. With such arrangement, I will need to create another battalion for soldiers solely without backpack. Both minifigs has printed designs at the back.

A puny wall for our Pirate's defense

30.jpg

32.jpg

This is a puny defense concrete wall that is used by our Pirates to hide safely behind enemy bombardments, but is it truly safe haven? Look at the two sections that include some gray bricks and plants parts to form the base, while loose gray parts combined together to form the upper section. Looks to me, this wall is rather brittle looking. We shall see how it performs at the bottom coverage.

Imperial Soldier sends in fire power

38.jpg

Lining up in battle formation, the Cannon Squadron is in place and ready for firing by our Imperial Firing Soldier or you can consider it as your artillery gunner. The majestic grand looking cannon is resting at the wheel carriage, leaving its rounds in the back for reload. I like this design very much, and it sure looks nice when you line up a dozen of cannons in one single row.

The battle shall begins

37.jpg

39.jpg

With the devastating demonstration of the cannon power, it penetrates through the concrete walls and cripples the pirate’s movement and lowering its morale. The upper section serves as a playable feature for the cannon battle scene which I find it very fun to play with.

The winning edge over the high seas

34.jpg

This is definitely one of the best Pirate battlepack sets ever, which is equivalent to the Castle 7090 Crossbow Attack. This set allows army builders to amass Cannons, Imperial Soldiers and Pirate Crew all at one go for an affordable price, filled with many accessories and parts for us to break it up and store in our bins for future usage and modification. The key highlight for this set is definitely marketed to provide a cheaper alternative for collectors to acquire cannons in a small sized set rather than a medium sized set. Despite of the lack of backpack and some very minor letdowns, I am very pleased with its overall aesthetic concept and design.

Summary review

Playability: 9.5/10 (Very fun to play with, such as pulling the cannon.)

Design: 9/10 (Design consideration are very good such as the cannon and concrete wall. Very minor flaws.)

Price: 9/10 (Price is affordable, but it will be better if its a dollar lower from its usual price.)

Overall: 9.2/10 (A great set to buy multiple for army builders.)

I gave it a "5" based on my Review Score Card. :pir-wink: What about yours?

Hope everyone of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Critics are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Brickshelf (When moderated)

Very nice review WhiteFang. I haven't actually bought this set - I thought it was priced well for its contents, but I didn't want to pay for that stupid wall that I can build in 2 seconds with the bricks I already own. Although now that you mention it, those ferns do have quite an appeal when they are thrown in with the cannon and the soldier. So maybe it might be worth my hard earned gold? Although I wouldn't want to aquire a huge ammount of those pirate torsos. 2 - 3 is quite enough.

So maybe I'll wait and see what I can get out of the next wave of pirate sets. But thank you for the review anyway.

Cheers,

Zuloo

Inhave bought about five of these sets, and as gift cards come in for birthdays, holidays, etc... I will be buying more.

I like getting one soldier, one pirate, and some little pieces I can just throw in with my mixed bricks.

I also and a HUGE fan of the new firing cannons! The old firing cannons NEVER worked! These new ones can blow stuff up across the room! As Borat would say, "VERY NICE!"

Cannon battle is one of my favourate sets because it is a great cheep set for getting an imperial soldier and a pirate with accesories to create the perfect small battle. :pir-classic:

Thanks guys for your kind comments. I do love this set very much, mainly because it provide lots of useful good elements in one small set. It's defintely one of the easier way to build up your cannon battalion. It will take quite awhile for me to get the desired amount of cannons to form the line up. :pir-blush:

Very nice review WhiteFang. I haven't actually bought this set - I thought it was priced well for its contents, but I didn't want to pay for that stupid wall that I can build in 2 seconds with the bricks I already own. Although now that you mention it, those ferns do have quite an appeal when they are thrown in with the cannon and the soldier. So maybe it might be worth my hard earned gold? Although I wouldn't want to aquire a huge ammount of those pirate torsos. 2 - 3 is quite enough.

So maybe I'll wait and see what I can get out of the next wave of pirate sets. But thank you for the review anyway.

Glad you find this review useful and changed your perception towards this set. I am surprised that you did not get this set, because of the small wall. Who knows, perhaps the next Pirate wave could be a horse carriage towing the cannon rear. :pir_laugh2:

I also and a HUGE fan of the new firing cannons! The old firing cannons NEVER worked! These new ones can blow stuff up across the room! As Borat would say, "VERY NICE!"

Well, the 42 old firing cannons I have fire just as well and as far across the room as the one from this set, no problems there...?

What still puzzles me about the new pirateline is the amount of cannonballs supplied. Every set including a cannon gives us two balls instead of six in all the other piratesets starting from 1989. It doesn't really matter to me because my supply of 1x1 round bricks is extensive, but I still wonder....

Anyway, thanks for the review!

:pir-classic:

Great review. This set is perfect. I remember a few years ago when I was heavily collecting and cannons where expensive and hard to come by. It was especially hard to acquire shooting one that actually worked. I bought 50+ of this set and I'll buy more...mark my words...more...more...I'm going now!

I already have 2 of these and want at least another 8. They are a superb set and are ecellent for building a battery.

I think this set is great, it was my introduction to Pirates...

It is really good value, a score of 10 in my eyes!

Thanks for the review, WhiteFang. I love this set and have at least four. I've been stocking up so that I can add shooting cannons to my three classic ships. I got the US non-firing cannons as a kid, so a cheap opportunity for these new firing cannons is great. Plus, the new flame and the spyglass piece make it a total win. The set also has a lot of play potential for something so small.

An absolute gem. Afforable and includes what one (at least me) wants in a small set. Figures, accessories, and useful pieces. The little wall is kind of pathetic but at least they are useful generic pieces. I have bought several of these and plan on buying many more.

We got to target and meijer once every couple weeks to buy groceries and household items, somehow a cannon battle sneaks in there every time!

LOL! :pir_laugh2:

-Super