ACCURATEin

PAB Cups: What Did You Get?

Im going to LA in just over a month. So I'm really hoping for nice selection of peices in their PAB. I'll defo make the most of it ;) I've set aside a couple of hundred $ just for the PAB :tongue:

Well, instead of just filling cups at the store, ask the employees for a $150 box. If you were to dump 1x1 round plates into cups, and then pour those cups into the box, you would probably get about 8.5-9 cups worth in the box. But this is a squared off box, so if you plan on stacking brick, this is the best way to get your money's worth.

Of course, it all depends on what there is to choose from.

Well, instead of just filling cups at the store, ask the employees for a $150 box. If you were to dump 1x1 round plates into cups, and then pour those cups into the box, you would probably get about 8.5-9 cups worth in the box. But this is a squared off box, so if you plan on stacking brick, this is the best way to get your money's worth.

The one in Glendale told me they havent done that in years. I would suggest asking the guy who greets you at the Lego store. I think he is nice enough to ask about the box. The last time i was there they had the following pieces 8x16 tiles, 2x4 bricks, 2x2 tiles, 1x1 round bricks, burps(rocks), Pink plates, ladders, flowers, plants, and lots of other things.

Let me know if they let you use a box.

Edited by LegoGalactus

Sounds intresting... Probably will stick to the cups though, but will see when I get there. Thanks for the heads up

If they have plants and flowers.... I'm scared of myself :tongue: I'm also hoping for lots of small plates.

How much does the Minifig wall cost (in LA)?

Sounds intresting... Probably will stick to the cups though, but will see when I get there. Thanks for the heads up

If they have plants and flowers.... I'm scared of myself :tongue: I'm also hoping for lots of small plates.

How much does the Minifig wall cost (in LA)?

They are 10$. 15 pieces of minifigures if you go to the glendale store. Remember to ask before you fill a minifigure pack. :wink:

They are 10$. 15 pieces of minifigures if you go to the glendale store. Remember to ask before you fill a minifigure pack. :wink:

:laugh: OK, thanks.

I'm planning to go to a Lego store tomorrow, the tip for stacking in a cup to get more pieces in is a very good one.

I can't remember what they had last time I was there but would there be any piece or 2 that I would want to look for if I have extra space in my cup and planned to fill in with BrickLink store fodders for money? I think they had huge load of trans-yellow and trans-orange cheese slopes.

would there be any piece or 2 that I would want to look for [...] to fill in with BrickLink store fodders for money?

Probably not. Most of the things you find in PAB are pretty common (cheap) on BrickLink for precisely that reason. Your best bet is to bring a mobile web device with you to check prices while you're there, so you can compare prices of anything that looks like it might be valuable.

DaveE

I finally got around to building my first Pick a Brick cup! Cincinnati Ohio LEGO store represent.

A lot of fun and value if you need the random stuff that shows up on PAB walls. I used the cup to pick up colors / pieces that I had none / little, so it helped my collection.

You can check out the contents and price analysis here:

5041906791_19e98fafe7_z.jpg

PABCup01-2 by TheWarden007, on Flickr

EDIT: Fixed.

Edited by TheWarden

one time, I got 4 cups of Lego in one cup - plants, leaves, flowers, etc.

another time, I got a cup of 1x6 fences, a cup of random pieces, plants, 1x1 plates and tiles and 1x4s tiles, a cup of 2x8 plates in 1 cup

a cup of 1x1 round studs(for fun)

all the black 1x8 they had, front and back(over 300(I counted them :classic: ))and a half a cup or random stuff

a lid of checkered flags that are 25 cents each at S@H

this piece with the print on the back LOL

2431px17.jpg

Edited by bricked one

This is what I got from last year's holiday box. I made a 12x12 block of bricks and plates then stuffed the remaining pieces in the sides. You get WAY more pieces in the box than you would in the small PAB cup.

4282499714_4bf1779382.jpg

Went to Lego store today (originally planned yesterday but had to help someone) and they had 4 red 1x1 flowers on spruce so I piled them in a small cup with a bunch of green 3 stemmed plants. They are quite soft so I was able to really cram the cup.

I also filled the large cup. I originally planned to fill gaps with BL fodder but I decided to just fill with whatever I *might* need later. Ended up with lots of trans-cyan 1x1 round plates, lots of trans-yellow and trans-orange cheese wedges along with some of the stuff I wanted. Including a number of 2x2 and 2x4 bricks in "eye-melting Naruto-orange" shade, lots of 1x2 green profile bricks (for my 7898 engine, my cat loves it and I have to reassembled it every few days, always missing 1 profile brick :tongue:) and lots of trans-green 1x2 with no center support. It is just exactly like the windshield of a vintage X1 patrol ship from 1980's. I have not counted yet but I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up with a lot more than $23 worth of flower stuff in the little $8 cup alone.

EDIT: yep. 361 stalks and 79 flowers at .13 and .14 each respectively on Lego PAB = total of $57.99 :cry_happy: :cry_happy:

DSC02365.jpg

Still to start on the bigger cup.

EDIT2: not as specular since there were few larger bricks but the total came to: 40 green 1x2 profile, 30 orange 2x4, 30 lime 2x4, 9 orange 2x2, 12 dark bley 6x6 plates (I need more for trains), 375 trans-light blue round 1x1 plates, 93 trans-orange cheese wedge, 78 trans-yellow, 32 trans-green 1x2, 25 blue 2x2 flowers and 15 2x2 yellow flowers. PAB at L@H would have been 86.59

Oh yeah I picked up 10199 toy shop, 10216 bakery village, 40011 turkey, 40012 pumpkin, 40013 ghost, 40014 bat, and 40008 set that was unlisted on BL

Edited by Lego Otaku

I had an excuse to go into northern part of Metro area so I stopped at Lego store again and went round 2 with their PAB display.

They changed a few things since I was there Saturday. Gone are things like trans-orange cheese and 6x6 dark bley plates. I got in the place lots of sandy blue 2x4 and 2x2, lots of red and white 1x10 bricks, lots of 4x6 black plates, lots of 1x1 lever, lots more trans-green 1x2 bricks, and 16 of 2x3x2 red cabinets with white doors, and some more I can't remember. These 3 cups were packed so tightly it doesn't rattle. However the employee taped them shut because of the ominous creaking sound.

Oh yeah I picked up a bag of Lego imitation from a store 2 doors down from Lego :laugh: No Lego lawyers around. :hmpf_bad: They are 100% sugar and 0% compatible with Lego. They can however be assembled like Lego bricks, albeit with weak clutch strength.

The fact there's a candy store 2 doors from Lego store would mean you should never let your kid out of sight if you went to Lego store in Troy, MI. Otherwise the excitement from Lego and sugar OD from the candy store would launch your kids into orbit.

EDIT: forgot the picture: lego_2.png

haven't counted anything yet. My 16 weeks old kitten is giving me a hard time as she feels lonely so I got to play with her.

Edited by Lego Otaku

Oh yeah I picked up a bag of Lego imitation from a store 2 doors down from Lego :laugh: No Lego lawyers around. :hmpf_bad: They are 100% sugar and 0% compatible with Lego. They can however be assembled like Lego bricks, albeit with weak clutch strength.

Ha! I looked and was like "why did you buy a bag of Megablocks?" Candy, I see.

I was hoping for cheese slopes on my last visit, but they said they were kinda rare. I'll have to make my own cheese service pack of all colors and Bricklink it one of these days.

Ha! I looked and was like "why did you buy a bag of Megablocks?" Candy, I see.

I was hoping for cheese slopes on my last visit, but they said they were kinda rare. I'll have to make my own cheese service pack of all colors and Bricklink it one of these days.

Mine had trans-yellow cheese slop the first visit and gone second visit. They also had trans-orange cheese slope both days so it may not be as popular as yellow.

Can someone please post a link to the Pick A Brick strategy article(s) referenced in this thread? I tried searching for them but couldn't find anything. Thanks!

--Evil

Can someone please post a link to the Pick A Brick strategy article(s) referenced in this thread? I tried searching for them but couldn't find anything. Thanks!

--Evil

Try this thread:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=27694

When I was traveling up to Boston, I asked my mom if I could go to the Lego store in Braintree... and I got 382 pieces in a small PAB cup!

I like the Braintree store, but it doesn't make sense for me to go there since the Burlington one is closer to me. There's a worker there named Grey (or Gray, I can't remember) that's very friendly and knowledgeable. I was talking to him about his collection of Lego animals last time I was there. I pointed him to this site but I don't know if he ever signed up.

Here's some good strategy from Long Island LUG President 'notenoughbricks'.

PaB Cup Strategy

That's what you would expect from someone who's name is notenoughbricks :tongue:

Seriously though, I would not have the patience to do that.

That's what you would expect from someone who's name is notenoughbricks :tongue:

Seriously though, I would not have the patience to do that.

LOL...I know. He's a great guy with uber patience at the PaB wall. He gave me some strategies when we went to the Rockefeller Grand Opening. I can get now about $60/$70.00 + dollars worth of bricks in a large PaB cup and that's with not doing his tiered strategy. Just some basic tip mostly connecting bricks together, putting small pieces at the bottom(filling the bottom), etc.

Redeemed my first of 6 free PAB boxes from the pre-holiday promotion at the Mall of America store in MN yesterday.

43 2x12 light gray plates

48 1x4 brown tiles

36 1x4 brown bricks

108 1x4 light gray bricks

44 2x6 brown plates

1293905329m_SPLASH.jpg

Total of 279 pieces. Work on building up my collection to start doing some castle-type MOCs. Will report more results as I redeem my other boxes. I only did one because it was way too crowded.

--Evil

Edited by evilempire22

Redeemed PAB boxes 2 of 6 and 3 of 6 today at the Mall of America LEGO store.

19 2x4 orange bricks

14 2x6 blue bricks

22 2x4 lime green bricks

25 2x4 light blue bricks

50 green leaves

9 2x12 light gray plates

16 1x4 brown tiles

83 1x8 blue tiles

6 yellow flowers

6 blue flowers

6 red flowers

7 green flower stems

1294012456m_SPLASH.jpg

Total of 263 pieces.

36 1x2 brown bricks

30 1x4 light gray bricks

144 1x4 black bricks

17 1x4 brown tiles

5 1x2 control panel tiles

2 1x4 control panel tiles

26 2x12 light gray plates

70 1x8 black tiles

1294012793m_SPLASH.jpg

Total of 330 pieces.

--Evil

Edited by evilempire22

I can't wait to visit the Mall of America store again. I live about 5 hours away and get there 3-4 times a year. I have one of these boxes to use as well, so it's helpful to know about what will fit in the box. I'm hoping that when I get there in a few weeks that they have lots of brown/gray/black pieces because my kids are getting interested in Kingdoms now and I have almost no bricks in those colors.

Does anyone know approximately how often the stores change the parts available at the PAB wall?

I hit the PABs at our two local (NorCal) stores before Xmas. But probably won't go back until they rotate some new parts in. I realize they probably just change the parts bin by bin as they run out. Does anyone know how long it takes before a bin is changed?