ACCURATEin

PAB Cups: What Did You Get?

And Australia, then I could finally finish of my MOC, it only need 1x1 Dkgray tiles

And New Zealand, we need a PAB wall here too.

But lets not turn this into a "Why isn't there a PAB in my country?" thread. :tongue:

Eilif, what do the LEGO store employees think of you when you pack the PAB cups so well? I don't know if they'd appreciate your techniques... :sceptic:

nice strategy you have there Eilif.

but when you pack them up, did the store worker watch you very strictly or you can have hours of packing there?

so the PAB cup rule is fill as you can fit in that cup, am i right?

nice strategy you have there Eilif.

but when you pack them up, did the store worker watch you very strictly or you can have hours of packing there?

You can take as much time as you want to fill the cup. At the LEGO Store in Valley Fair, CA, there's only 2 or 3 workers (except for when there's those monthly mini builds, where there's like 5-7), and two of them have to man the cash registers.

Edited by ILikePi

im jealous of your pab selection :cry_sad:

i've found that the lids are out in blue water in UK, in MK they gave me one while i was filling it, so im sure you could ask for one while picking. and they usually put a sticker to reuse the tub and get a discount so you would have the lid then.

And New Zealand, we need a PAB wall here too.

But lets not turn this into a "Why isn't there a PAB in my country?" thread. :tongue:

Eilif, what do the LEGO store employees think of you when you pack the PAB cups so well? I don't know if they'd appreciate your techniques... :sceptic:

Agreed, I'd rather this thread be about PAB packing strategies, and not a complaint thread for the lack of PAB walls in certain areas.

I've packed dozens of PAB cups at stores in Minnesota, Oregon, and Illinois and I've never had a problem. In fact, if business is slow, I often have pleasant conversations with LEGO store staff. I've heard from other AFOL's that at some stores, they will actually give you hints on packing a PAB cup.

Sometimes I'll pack more than one cup, and if any of you remember the $100 PAB tubs that were sold for a while in 2007, once a friend an I took nearly an hour to pack one (it was quite heavy when we were done) at a wall located right behind the cash register and got nothing but friendly conversation with the staff.

This is not my pic, but it's the same tub packed similarly.

3.jpg

Happy Easter!!

Edited by Eilif

Did you happen to count the pieces in that bucket? I can only imagine! :oh:

He said that that picture isn't his...but I bet that there's at least maybe 5,000 small pieces in that bucket!

Oh, and thanks for reminding me that today is Easter, Eilif! :laugh:

Happy Easter! :classic:

EDIT: Here's a link to the BrickShelf folder of that PAB tub: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=258869

Look at all of those green and white bricks! :oh:

I never knew that there was such a thing as PAB tubs, thanks for showing us that picture! :classic:

Edited by ILikePi

Thank you so much for the helpful hints! :classic: I can pack the PAB cups better and get more for my money. Darn, I wish they still had those tubs! :angry:

I didn't pack that PAB bin, but I think that somewhere I did record how many pieces I packed into mine. I can't seem to find it. If I run across it I'll post it. Further down in this old thread on lugnet, there are two examples (including this one) with lists of pieces they've fit into a PAB tub and links to pics. http://news.lugnet.com/market/shopping/?n=...amp;t=f&v=a

Oh, and thanks for reminding me that today is Easter, Eilif! :laugh:

Happy Easter! :classic:

I never knew that there was such a thing as PAB tubs, thanks for showing us that picture! :classic:

You're welcome, and thank you! Unfortunately there are no more PAB tubs. However, see below...

Thank you so much for the helpful hints! :classic: I can pack the PAB cups better and get more for my money. Darn, I wish they still had those tubs! :angry:

While the tubs are long gone, some LEGO stores have a cardboard box that you can fill for $150. Unfortunately the cardboard boxes are only ever so slightly larger than the old PAB bins, so as well as not getting a useful green tub, you really have to pack it to make it worth while. I've not purchased one and probably won't bother, but I know a couple of guys who have, and they seem satisfied with what they got. Also, since it's a cardboard box with strait sides, you can really pack it tight.

Edited by Eilif

How much do these cups cost?
...I'm pretty sure the large cup (the one I packed) is 15 dollars. I think the small size cups are 8 dollars...

Oops, I missed that. 500 plus parts for 15 dollars isnt too bad! I really hope I can find a place that does this.

Shame there is no PAB near me. On those green big tree top/vine pieces on the ends/leaves with the holes in couldn't you put lightsabre blade style pieces if them too? Then you could stack them up inside your stack of green tree top pieces and have even more parts. I hope you understood what I meant :grin: , it was quite hard to explain without pictures. Great work.

Oops, I missed that. 500 plus parts for 15 dollars isnt too bad! I really hope I can find a place that does this.

You'll probably have to call ahead to find out if they have PAB, but here's the list of LEGO stores http://stores.lego.com/en-US/default.aspx

Shame there is no PAB near me. On those green big tree top/vine pieces on the ends/leaves with the holes in couldn't you put lightsabre blade style pieces if them too? Then you could stack them up inside your stack of green tree top pieces and have even more parts. I hope you understood what I meant :grin: , it was quite hard to explain without pictures. Great work.

I know exactly what you mean. Besides flag poles, I've never seen light sabers or other "rod" pieces in PAB, but you've got a good idea there right idea. It's all about finding out which pieces will fit in between which other pieces. Some other hints:

-Stacks of roof slopes can be reversed and slid together.

-Stacks of flower stems can fit in odd sized crevasses.

hmmm... $8 seems pretty cheap, on average how many pieces can fit in a small cup?

hmmm... $8 seems pretty cheap, on average how many pieces can fit in a small cup?

Well, since Eilif managed to fit around 500 pieces in the $15 cup, probably around 200 pieces would fit in the small cup. The small cup holds much less than half of what the large cup holds.

Well, since Eilif managed to fit around 500 pieces in the $15 cup, probably around 200 pieces would fit in the small cup. The small cup holds much less than half of what the large cup holds.

That sounds about right. I've only bought 3 or 4 of the small cups. That was when there was only one or two parts on the PAB wall that I was interested in, such as tiles, 1x1 plates, or similar items. If I'm going to purchase any bricks or larger elements items I'll always go with the larger cups.

The small cups are great for sorting and storing pieces in your collection though.

ok thanks its kinda worth it either way but the big one is better :classic:

I went to a store yesterday. I fit in 640 parts about, I am really proud of my self. I basically made a hollow central structue out of brick and then stacked other things like clear 1x2s and windows. Lots of fun!

I went to a store yesterday. I fit in 640 parts about, I am really proud of my self. I basically made a hollow central structue out of brick and then stacked other things like clear 1x2s and windows. Lots of fun!

in the $15 one? if you did thats really good :thumbup:

in the $15 one? if you did thats really good :thumbup:

240 of them were 1x1 trans blue studs :grin:

240 of them were 1x1 trans blue studs :grin:

:laugh: Now your loaded at least. That's still pretty good. Did you stack them on top of eachother?

The reapings!

3463480823_d9441f59a6.jpg

Yep, I love my plates

3463481165_0b01c785e7.jpg

And Prateek, I only stacked a few, most of them fit in the nooks.

Edited by Natman8000