Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

Imperial Ship MOC: SMS Liberty

thindexedgif.gif 19a

Sir Scott Lego who posts at PirateBricks.com creates many ship MOCs. In this thread I'm featuring one of his creations the SMS Liberty

Sir Scott writes:

The SMS Liberty is the sister ship to the SMS Justice (which I'll post one day)... Both powerful frigates prove deadly on the high seas...

The SMS Liberty has an elongated midship which provides a strategic volley of cannon fire. Additionally, SMS Liberty has an extra fore sail which allows this offensive threat the ability to close the gap on it's prey.

See more pictures in the Brickshelf Gallery

alibertyprofile.jpg

A nice interesting MOC! I am not a fan of the sail material (the foam is too rigid for my Lego altered tastes) but the masts are still plentiful and well alligned to each other. I think this ship could benefit from a more elaborate cabin to raise the profile of the ship.

Thanks for posting this, God Bless,

Nathan

A nice interesting MOC! I am not a fan of the sail material (the foam is too rigid for my Lego altered tastes) but the masts are still plentiful and well alligned to each other. I think this ship could benefit from a more elaborate cabin to raise the profile of the ship.

Thanks for posting this, God Bless,

Nathan

i agree

i wonder why pirate fanatics who like to build pirate ships don't buy extra mid sections at bl, for instance, to get a longer ship, instead of using these inverted slopes. they screw up the lines of the ship...

I am not a fan of the sail material (the foam is too rigid for my Lego altered tastes)

Yes, I'm in the same sail fan club as you Mr Norro. I'd prefer something a bit thinner, but all things considered its not that bad.

i think the masts are a bit out of balance with the rest of the ship. i think the first is too close to the bow, the second should be moved a bit to the back as well

Yes, the second mast is in the middle of the hull which looks kind of weird. I'd also do something with the string that hangs loosely in the stern part.

All things considered this is an awesome MOC! For once someone has used an original design, rather than just replacing a few elements here and there on an existing LEGO ship.

All things considered this is an awesome MOC! For once someone has used an original design, rather than just replacing a few elements here and there on an existing LEGO ship.

Have you seen all Richie's stuff on Lugnet?!

God Bless,

Nathan

I'm not sure. I don't know many MOC designers by name so I wouldn't know whose I've seen. Unless I've posted it here.

I'm not sure. I don't know many MOC designers by name so I wouldn't know whose I've seen. Unless I've posted it here.

He is the port Brick guy... who actually made use of the 4+ hull...

God Bless,

Nathan

Port Brick? I've heard of Port Brickam - are they the same thing?

A settlement? i don't know...

God Bless,

Nathan

Note that this ship uses custom cannons as well. Unfortunately we can't take a good look at them.

libertyreardeck.jpg

On this photo we can also see the captain - where's this torso from? It looks very nice.

Note that this ship uses custom cannons as well. Unfortunately we can't take a good look at them.

libertyreardeck.jpg

On this photo we can also see the captain - where's this torso from? It looks very nice.

well actually, you can. the cannons are also on the other side of the ship. you see those red parts? that's the section you don't see on the cannons in the front of the pic.

The torso is a custom... almost positive :-D

God Bless,

Nathan

well actually, you can. the cannons are also on the other side of the ship. you see those red parts? that's the section you don't see on the cannons in the front of the pic.

That doesn't change the fact that we can't see them well enough.

Ahoy,

By accident I fell upon this forum and thread. Mister Phes truly is an honest man for bringing my ships to your attention and not taking credit himself. I appreciate all the kind words and appreciate even more the criticism for that will help me become a better builder.

Just so you know, the minifig torso is a custom torso, after much research I designed the "admiral" after costumes from the Horatio Hornblower series. (I hope to share my custom stickers in the future).

Both this ship and two others in my fleet were modeled after American frigates from the War of 1812, during this time period the real American ships like the Constitution, Constellation and Wasp didn't have high profiles i.e. tall cabin areas... I struggle with proportions when I design tall cabins because I think I make ships look too "back heavy", suggestions are appreciated. For an example of my back heavy ship SMS Marie visit-

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1360492

Again, I appreciate the class act of Mister Phes and everybody's critics and comments. May we meet again soon on these high seas.

SirScottLego

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=steichert

I'll share more about my custom cannons and why I have chosen foam sails in the future but I do look forward to meeting you all... Now bring me that horizon!

Ahoy,

By accident I fell upon this forum and thread. Mister Phes truly is an honest man for bringing my ships to your attention and not taking credit himself. I appreciate all the kind words and appreciate even more the criticism for that will help me become a better builder.

Just so you know, the minifig torso is a custom torso, after much research I designed the "admiral" after costumes from the Horatio Hornblower series. (I hope to share my custom stickers in the future).

Both this ship and two others in my fleet were modeled after American frigates from the War of 1812, during this time period the real American ships like the Constitution, Constellation and Wasp didn't have high profiles i.e. tall cabin areas... I struggle with proportions when I design tall cabins because I think I make ships look too "back heavy", suggestions are appreciated. For an example of my back heavy ship SMS Marie visit-

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1360492

Again, I appreciate the class act of Mister Phes and everybody's critics and comments. May we meet again soon on these high seas.

SirScottLego

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=steichert

I'll share more about my custom cannons and why I have chosen foam sails in the future but I do look forward to meeting you all... Now bring me that horizon!

good to see another piratebricks.com alumni over here!

Our community grows stronger :) muhahahaha

This was one of my favorite ships that was posted on piratebricks.com, glad to see you here! also, i know what you mean about building heavy cabins, the royal navy was also moving to corvette style ships like this at the time, forecastles and quarterdecks were just going out of style. I apreciate your representation of this period (its my field actually! ) looking forward to seeing your next creation!

Ska- thanks for your comments. It's great to hear from you again. I thought for sure I was in the depths of davey jones locker without a place to explore my hobby.

Yes, I am most attracted to later period design, I am looking for some inspiration on some forts, if you happen to come across any.

Great to hear from you! Sail on Matey!

Ughh I don't really understand you mister phes... There are lots of MOCers using an original design

Very nice ship SirScottLego, I can barely believe there are more people with such a big MOC collection like yours.