Walter Kovacs

UCS Scale TIE Torpedo Launcher

indexed.gif

Last year I posted all of my UCS scale TIEs as MLCad renderings. Finally I am starting to build those models in actual bricks. I'll be posting them as I get them photographed (at my current building rate, it will be a couple of months.)

I decided to start with the Torpedo Launcher for one simple reason. The stand for all the other models resembles the TIE Interceptor/X-Wing UCS stand, while the Torpedo Launcher is unique.

For those who aren't familiar with the TIE Torpedo Launcher, here is the source material I used. A Front View, Bottom View, Top View and Back View.

And now I give you my version of the TIE Torpedo Launcher. First, a Front View:

torp01.jpg

I'm sure you can see what I mean about the stand. Because of the bulkiness of the stand, I took most of the photos with the model on its back. I had to change some things around during the build that differ from the instructions I had previously posted on Brickshelf. One of them are those 4 x 9 wings I used on the sloped portion of the, err..., wing. For some reason I neglected to remember that they had no stud notches. The final design will use a pair of 3 x 8 wings with 1 x 6 plate. Most of the other modifications were structural in nature and hidden from the camera, to keep the massive wing together before all the greebling on top and bottom were complete. That was the biggest challenge during the build: keeping the darn thing from collapsing under it's own weight. Once assembled, it is suprisingly very sturdy. It even can stand without the base, though not very well, and the Weapons Batteries are pushed out of position.

Here's the Back view:

torp19.jpg

With so little source material to work with, I really had a tough time figuring out just what the model was supposed to look like. While that gave me quite a bit of freedom, it also limited me to some extent.

Top View:

torp31.jpg

Cockpit:

torp15.jpg

The cockpit turned out pretty well I thought. The only thing I don't like is how far back the control stick is compared to the pilot's chair. I probably won't change it in the designs I've completed thusfar, but will keep it in mind on future projects. After all, I do have at least 35 TIE Alts to go.

I have a few more photos I feel must be included. The first is the front underside of the wing. The source material showed some interesting structure there, and I worked hard to capture it as best I could. The last is a photo of the rear underside. I thought it important to highlight the greebs in that section.

There are many, many more photos in the gallery, which can be viewed when it is made public.

As always, Questions, Comments and Criticism are much appreciated.

Next up, the TIE Clutch (probably by the end of April).

Looks really good :thumbup: But I have a question, Is there really a TIE Torpedo Launcher in the Star Wars Universe

Also the design is quite ~detailed~ :thumbup: Overall great job!

I'm certain that this is not the site where I got the inspirtion from, but it has the most complete backstory on the TIE Torpedo Launcher (they call it the Torpedo Bomber :sceptic:. I've also seen it called the TIE Lancer, but that name is too close to the TIE Lancet). It looks like it might be a fan creation, as I don't recall any references anywhere to a video game or comic book.

The original source didn't matter too much to me. It was an interesting design, and offered a lot of opportunities for greebs and details. The real key to the design was the strut that connects the wing to the cockpit. It might not look like much, but it was a technique I had never used, nor had I seen it used before (I'm sure I'm not the first to use it, though. I refuse to take credit for it). I'll use the same technique when I try the TIE Hunter to get the swept back pylons. The tough part will be getting the wing angle right on that one (which is why I haven't tried it yet).

Thanks for the comments, guys.

looks strange to me. but i do like the detail on the wing of it.

A fantastic and really well detailed MOC, and a very interesting and distinctive TIE model too. A very fine work!

The strut´s indeed impressive and the shape of the pod and the wing structure´s very neat too.

Although the color scheme fits fine a few of your pics´re rather a little dark so it´s

sometimes difficult to spot all the smart details...

i didn't think it had swept backwings at least all the pictures i could find didn't show to have so i based it on the tie advanced shape

Huh. Now that I look closer, I see that they are in fact straight, and not swept back. Well, that makes things considerably easier. Now I have to work out making the S-Foils work correctly.

Although the color scheme fits fine a few of your pics´re rather a little dark so it´s

sometimes difficult to spot all the smart details...

Yeah, this was the first time I have used my new Lego photo studio (also known as three desk lamps and a white sheet). I need to do a little experimentation with the light placement yet to get it perfect, but it is a signigficant improvement over my dining room table.