Sign in to follow this  
matt w

My MOC WIP

Hi guys,

i've started work on my MOC, she'll be a British ship - Napoleonic era

But i've hit a slight snag.

I'm working on putting the decks in and i want to try and make it look "realistic"

in this way, i want the supports from the sides of the hull that hold up the floors to look like they belong

i've mocked up some designs (as seen below) but i cant decide which to use - i'm leaning towards the pillar third from right, but would like some other opinions

i'm also unsure what colour to make them (they are multi coloured so that you guys can see what they are made from)

my options (i think) are:

01 - all white

02 - all black

03 - yellow and black, matching up to the lines of the exterior

any advice is greatly taken

Matt

InternalPillars.jpg

The middle design looks the best in my opinion, maybe you could go for a 1 stud wide version.

I think all white would look good, maybe all black (or brown even). Black/yellow as the outside wouldn't look that good in my opinion, I would at least go for one solid colour.

The middle design looks the best in my opinion, maybe you could go for a 1 stud wide version.

i did look into a 1 stud version, i cant make it work at the mo - and with a 4 stud spacing between the ports i'm struggling with the symmetry - i'll leave them 2 wide for now, but may look at redesigning them once i've actualy finished the ship

I think all white would look good, maybe all black (or brown even). Black/yellow as the outside wouldn't look that good in my opinion, I would at least go for one solid colour.

totally agree - i was thinking about this whilst watching tv last night - it definately shouldnt match the outside pattern (it couldnt with the 3 high slope brick in there anyway) so that only left solid colours

i mocked them all up - apologies for the crudeness of the pic, also the package i used didnt have any other colour than grey for the slope column bit

colours.jpg

i'm tending towards yellow, i think it definately has to be a light colour, i think black or brown would make the ddeck look too dark in an area that is already lacking a lot of light......

thanks for the ideas so far though guys

Matt

For some advice:

The HMS Victory has a black and yellow coloursheme, the interior is completely white with tan decks.

In the "Le Formidable" I've made the poles yellow with black inverted slopes on top.

You are right about the brown and black colours, it will be too dark then.

The first ships had brown interiors but in later time, let say 1700-1800 ships started to paint the interior in a bright colour.

Good luck on your ship!

Mostly the interiors were painted red, so blood wasn't very notacible in battle. Good for the moral! :pir-sweet:

I to would go for the long slope, with one short slope on top of it.

I'd make 'm the colors of the wall or al black.

I never heard of that before, I know the Amsterdam has a partly red interior but that's a trade ship, not a manowar.

But beyond that, it's a good way to keep the morale high! I only don't know if red is a nice colour for a ship interior. But CGH is the ship master here! :pir-blush:

well as it seems a few people are working along the same lines as me, i think i'll post up my progress to date now

I was goign to wait till i had a bit more done - but finances have held me up a bit, and i've been tempted to redo the sides anyways

so here goes:

a while back i found this on a random search online

e25_05.jpg

i like the look but thought the proportions were a little out (apologies if this is someone on heres)

so i editted it in paint to get a better look:

mockup001.jpg

and compared it to my real life source of inspiration:

lge0138_hmsvictory.jpg

so, i bought up "a few" hull sections and began planning out

DAY 01

100_1575.jpg

100_1573.jpg

i planned out my gun spacing and the length of the ship (note the missing hull sections at the moment) and also worked out the rough height to the deck

Then i went to bricklink to order up some more bricks

DAY 02

100_1579.jpg

100_1578.jpg

still missing a few bricks but i built up the sides to see how it would look and also to allow me to start working out the headroom spacing for the gun crews - at this point i asked you guys for advice (that can be seen above)

DAY 03

More bricks turned up - so i filled in the gaps on the hull

and then started planning out the internal deck supports

Day03-Photo-004.jpg

Day03-Photo-002.jpg

Day03-Photo-003.jpg

i also took the oppurtunity to mock up the masts to get an idea of their overall height - when i get round to the masts i'll have to see what the best option is

Day03-Photo-001.jpg

DAY 04

I re editted my editted pic, removed some of the cannons that were in the wrong place (near the cabin windows) and added some more cabin windows

mockup002.jpg

i then started playing around with the rear cabin sections - this is a mock up of what i had thought would work, i have since taken this down and am in the process of getting the parts i need to retry this part

Day04-Photo-001.jpg

Day04-Photo-002.jpg

Day04-Photo-003.jpg

Day04-Photo-004.jpg

I'm also a little concerned that there is no tumblehome on my ship at the moment, i did originally plan on slope bricking the last top rows of black bricks - but i'm not sure if this will be enough

Advice/feedback - criticism all greatfully accepted

Matt

Huzzah, Looks like the Great British are getting another 3 decker!

What do you think now Green hair? :pir_laugh2:

EDIT: If you look in my Signature, Im actually making a 3 deck British Vessel to. Its called the HMS Unicorn

Quite a big stern?

Edited by Joey Lock

Your stern cabin hangs over the hull way too much and is far too big.

I hope you will add tumblehome, the straight walls really don't cut it.

You should watch out she doesn't get too narrow on top though.

Good luck on her!

This is getting a serious big project! :pir-wub:

Overall it looks great, but quite flimsy to me. I've never build ships like this way but it looks like it could collaps quite easy.

Perhaps adding decks would make it more secure, or support poles.

The stern is the most hard part since it is sloped in a weird way. I've experienced it myself too. :pir-look:

I also recommend to place the bowsprit higher, otherwise the forecastle looks very high.

Now back to work! :thumbup:

Your stern cabin hangs over the hull way too much and is far too big.

this is why i have started rebuilding the stern - in my head it looked fine - but when i mocked it up it looked horrid :pir_laugh2:

I hope you will add tumblehome, the straight walls really don't cut it.

You should watch out she doesn't get too narrow on top though.

i think once i get the hull finished i will end up adding a tumblehome - but i need to figure out how i am gonna do it :pir-sceptic:

Good luck on her!

thanks

This is getting a serious big project! :pir-wub:

Overall it looks great, but quite flimsy to me. I've never build ships like this way but it looks like it could collaps quite easy.

Perhaps adding decks would make it more secure, or support poles.

she's sturdy - i can easily pick it up and it doesnt flex - i used flat bricks on the black sections to "woven" into each other for strength - there is an "inner wall" to go in and the decks as well which i think should stiffen her nicely - there is some flex near the top of the hull at the moment though but from the underneath she is solid

The stern is the most hard part since it is sloped in a weird way. I've experienced it myself too. :pir-look:

I also recommend to place the bowsprit higher, otherwise the forecastle looks very high.

Now back to work! :thumbup:

thanks for the advice, the stern is a pain, and the bowsprit is only temporary at the moment so i can get an idea of scale/proportion length etc

Looking really great so far. This looks to be an excellent project.

I am not sure if your past this or not, but as far as interior bracing and adding a tumblehome, Here is the solution I came up with:

3144117891_9a88b73589.jpg

It works well, and leaves plenty of interior room for details.

Good luck, I will be following this thread with great interest.

The solution for the tumblehome I came up with:

le_formidable006.jpg

The whole ship has an interior and lots of details inside, I'm currently updating it and I'll post pics of the interior soon.

tumblehome.jpg

A quick draft from the tumblehome. I hope this explains how to do it.

Good luck matey! :thumbup:

thanks for the replies - i already have a similar system for the internal bracing:

SupportingPillars.jpg

i may turn the internal pillars the other way so that the slopes are facing in - i'll wait till i have deck plates before deciding

the deck plates will be 6x6 on the lower deck as it wont be very functional - just enough head room for the cannons

the other decks will use 12x6 and have the supports spaced for them accordingly the decks are 18 studs (3 plates) wide at the moment

I like the look of your tumblehome, but i'm unsure if i could easily encorporate it into my design now - will haev to see once i've got some more cash :D

Edited by matt w

thanks for the replies - i already have a similar system for the internal bracing:

i may turn the internal pillars the other way so that the slopes are facing in - i'll wait till i have deck plates before deciding

the deck plates will be 6x6 on the lower deck as it wont be very functional - just enough head room for the cannons

the other decks will use 12x6 and have the supports spaced for them accordingly the decks are 18 studs (3 plates) wide at the moment

I like the look of your tumblehome, but i'm unsure if i could easily encorporate it into my design now - will haev to see once i've got some more cash :D

Well I have a design, Other than slopes:

Your straight design, And a sloped Design,Of course it doesnt have to be that sloped.

LDDScreenShot167.png

LDDScreenShot169.png

Whadda you think?

not too bad - if you look at a cut through of HMS Victory, the lower deck is almost straight sided, then it curves in

I've already started again :pir-grin:

I'll be ordering the new bricks for the sides soon, i've built up a skelton version (like i did before) to get an idea of the overhaul size and i think it will work well

I'll get some photos tomorrow and post them up

I think that tumblehome is quite good, but the center of the ship should be slightly wider.

Otherwise you'll get a straight ship without nice lines along the broadside.

I'm planning to build a new ship as well, but I still don't know which kind of tumblehome I should use.

I'm lookin' forward to the new pics!

A few pics - as i said above she's just skeletal at the mo whilst i wait for some more bricks to come.

I've also mocked up what the internal side supports willlook like so i can see where the decks should be, and work out what plates to order for the decking

This Photo has the internal walls next to the side of the ship

100_1641.jpg

So i moved them out of the way for the next

100_1642.jpg

A peek down through the top at the mock up of the internal walls

100_1643.jpg

Looking fron the stern down the intenal length of the ship

100_1644.jpg

And an external look down the length (again from the stern) you may just be able tomake out the profile of the hull from this shot

100_1645.jpg

Hope you like it, the colours arent right yet - i use whatever i have to hand to mock up and then order the right bricks as and when - there will be a lot more yellow on the sides when i finish :pir-classic:

this is .. big, this is .. too big for me^^ Can't wait to see the finished ship, it's going to be a great , big and heavily armed ship!

To give you guys a better idea of the finished product i've whipped this up in lego creator:

Please note that the grey slopes inside the ship will be yellow - and the white outer slopes will also be yellow (they're not available in taht colour on this program)

0001.jpg

0002.jpg

That looks very promising! A very nice project so far.

I'm curious about how you are planning to make the stern for this beauty.

Keep it up! :thumbup:

To give you guys a better idea of the finished product i've whipped this up in lego creator:

Please note that the grey slopes inside the ship will be yellow - and the white outer slopes will also be yellow (they're not available in taht colour on this program)

0001.jpg

0002.jpg

Wow, We will have sister ships! :pir_laugh2:

Wow, We will have sister ships! :pir_laugh2:

:pir_laugh2: - indeed, built at different shipyards but by a collaboration of designers

As you can see I am using some of your ideas - if you see anything of mine you can encorporate please feel free

Matt

That looks very promising! A very nice project so far.

I'm curious about how you are planning to make the stern for this beauty.

Keep it up! :thumbup:

well this is what i kinda had planned

cabins001.jpg

cabins002.jpg

cabins003.jpg

I need some more bricks so i can play around with it for real as i designed this before the tumblehome was added, but you'll get the jist

I've also been working on where the poop deck should sit and the height of the walls for that today - again onluy in rough till i can order some more bricks (photos to follow tomorrow)