Theme: Star wars

Subtheme: The Clone Wars

Released: 2009

Price: USD 9.99, CDN 13.99, EUR 14.99, GBP 9.79

Pieces: 72

Minifigures: 4

S@H Description:

March into battle with the Clone Army!

As the Clone Wars rage across the galaxy, the Republic army advances across the battlefields of hundreds of planets. Build up your army with the Clone Walker™, a tough 2-man vehicle with poseable legs and flick-firing missiles!

* Includes 2 Clone Troopers™, Clone Gunner™, Clone Commander™ and ARC trooper gear!

* Build your army and add #8015 Assassin Droids™ Battle Pack for even more fun!

* Measures over 3.5" (8cm) tall!

Bricklink

Brickset

Peeron

S@H

One of the most anticipated sets for fans of the new clone wars movie and tv show is undoubtedly the Clone Walker Battle Pack. Being the only way to economically accumulate a clone army, and a brand new minifigure make this one stand out, but is it worth your money? Find out in this review!

Box

Front

002.jpg

The box is typical of the Star Wars line. The clones and their walker are trudging along on a non-descript desert planet, with laser blasts flying at them from an unforseen foe. The box maintains the shiny blue and white box design of previous CW releases.

Back

003.jpg

The back shows all four minifigures included with the set, as well as a small battle scene that incorporates this set's counterpart: 8015 Assassin Droids Battle Pack.

Instuctions

Front

004.jpg

This is the same as the front of the box. There are no errors in the booklet.

Back

005.jpg

I think every set I've reviewed has had this on the back. :tongue: I don't have much to say about it.

Minifigures

006.jpg

These are the set's real bread and butter. It comes with two clone troopers, a clone commander, and the brand new clone gunner (more on that later). The "clone commander" has no special head or torso markings so he is effectively an ordinary trooper. It is worth it to be noted that the commander gear is now in black, as opposed to dark gray. The only fundamental problem I have found with these are the fleshy heads. They look good, but when the trooper has his helmet on parts of the head can still be seen. I would have preferred it if TLC had included both black heads and fleshy ones, so we would at least have a choice.

Clone Gunner

007.jpg

Since this is the only new minifigure in this set, I thought it deserved a closeup. It has a brand new torso and head print, as well as dark gray arms. I like this minifigure very much, and I can see it raising the value of this set quite a bit, if it's not put into another set. Notice that the printing on the top of the head on mine is off-center. :hmpf_bad:

Weapons/Accessories/Extra Pieces

008.jpg

In terms of weapons we get three ordinary blasters, as well as two pistols. The accessories include two antennae, and two night scopes/flashlights (note it also comes with a full set of commander gear, this can be seen in the minifigures picture). For extra pieces we get two cheese slopes, one in light gray, and the other in trans-orange, as well as a blue 1/2 technic pin.

Stickers/Decals

009.jpg

Only two republic logos are included. Considering we already have a printed republic insignia piece, TLC really didn't have to include any stickers in this set. :hmpf_bad:

Clone Walker

010.jpg

In keeping with TLC's tradition for battle pack vehicles, the clone walker is a tiny little thing, simply designed and with a low parts count. It looks ok, but I much prefer the clone scout walker released in 2005. The walker seats two and, as is the style with all SW vehicles, has flick-fire missiles.

Side View

011.jpg

Front View

012.jpg

Back View

013.jpg

Top View

014.jpg

Entire Set

015.jpg

Overall

Design: 6/10 The vehicle is half-baked, and the use of stickers is discouraging.

Build: 10/10 There were no problems.

Playability: 7/10 The minifigures and the flick-fire missiles add the only play-value this set has.

Minifigures: 10/10 The only cheap clones, and an exclusive minifigure.

Price: 8/10 I would have preferred the vehicle was left out, and the price lowered.

Total: 41/50

Conclusion

This is the set that pretty much salvaged the CW line for me. The ability to build a cheap army is always welcome. If you are a fan of the Clone Wars, or just Star Wars in general, I highly recommend this set. Get one before there gone!

Thank you for reading my review. Commenting and constructive criticism is welcome.

Is it OK if I post a reply to what WhiteFang said in the Reviewer's Academy? If it's not, I'll remove the stuff under this. :grin:

Millacol88, apologies for me using my images to point out some stuff for ILikePi. :blush:

3.jpg

Is that what you meant?

4.jpg

Mine seemed to have that variation as well.

Yes, that was what I meant. I meant to type that the clone gunner helmet was in the small bag and the other helmets weren't. :blush:

By the way, I also have a picture:

Link (BrickShelf)

Edited by ILikePi

can the antenna and the night scope be put on at the same time?

Yes, on each clone there is a slot on each side of their helmet, the antenna or the night scope can go in either one. :classic:

Nice review, thanks! This set is much better than the Assassin Droids battlepack, although getting an extra IG-88 or two isn't too bad. I was also disappointed with the inclusion of stickers when a perfectly good printed piece still exists. Still, I picked up a few of these and don't regret it. The new torso on the Clone Gunner is great, but I'm on the fence about the new helmet.

Has anyone ever ordered replacement parts for a misprinted piece like Millacol88's Clone Gunner's helmet? I've considered it a few times, especially for the new castle shields where the printing is outside the lines, but I never got a misprint that was so bad I couldn't use the piece (although I've gotten one or two pieces like that when I thought I was getting a really good deal on Bricklink - beware the used piece that is half the price of all the others on Bricklink).

I have actually never had a misprinted piece before. I have, however, received incorrect pieces in a set before, and had them replaced with no hassle. I may do the same with that clone helmet.

Yes, on each clone there is a slot on each side of their helmet, the antenna or the night scope can go in either one. :classic:

ok, thanks, and another question, what store did you get this from? do they have them in zellers because i have one near my house

Edited by prateek

ok, thanks, and another question, what store did you get this from? do they have them in zellers because i have one near my house

Yes, I found mine in Zellers, I believe I was in the first 100 or so people on brickset to own this. I found it about halfway through December.

Yes, I found mine in Zellers, I believe I was in the first 100 or so people on brickset to own this. I found it about halfway through December.

hmm... i'll try zellers to see if they do have it, because they say they have the most lego sets out of all the chains in canada. thanks :thumbup:

hmm... i'll try zellers to see if they do have it, because they say they have the most lego sets out of all the chains in canada. thanks :thumbup:

Yes, I've found they have the best selection in terms of stores in my area, but TRU has a lot more sets. Unfortunately, the nearest one too me is still an hour and a half away. :hmpf_bad:

I really like this set! Its too bad they had to put stickers in the set even though they would be able to print them cause they have the same sticker printed on a circle in Anakin's Starfighter! :hmpf_bad: :hmpf_bad:

Nice review, thanks! This set is much better than the Assassin Droids battlepack, although getting an extra IG-88 or two isn't too bad. I was also disappointed with the inclusion of stickers when a perfectly good printed piece still exists. Still, I picked up a few of these and don't regret it. The new torso on the Clone Gunner is great, but I'm on the fence about the new helmet.

Has anyone ever ordered replacement parts for a misprinted piece like Millacol88's Clone Gunner's helmet? I've considered it a few times, especially for the new castle shields where the printing is outside the lines, but I never got a misprint that was so bad I couldn't use the piece (although I've gotten one or two pieces like that when I thought I was getting a really good deal on Bricklink - beware the used piece that is half the price of all the others on Bricklink).

I think that most of the clone gunner helmets might have bad printing.

Mine has three bad parts to it:

1. The Republic insignias are an oval shape instead of circular.

2. You can see a lot of white under the green printing.

3. Some parts of the brown printing are thick, and some parts are thin (it's a lighter brown).

If you order a replacement helmet, you might just get another badly printed helmet. :sceptic:

Can anyone tell if the printing on this clone gunner's helmet is good? It was the helmet that was displayed at the 2009 Toy Fair for the CW Battle Pack.

IMG_00132.JPG

If it was, LEGO probably just searched through many helmets until they found one with a good print.

EDIT: Also, here's another picture:

TOY_0574.JPG

You can easily tell that the helmet on that clone gunner is one with a good print.

Sorry about the off-topic post. :grin:

Edited by ILikePi

Yes, I've found they have the best selection in terms of stores in my area, but TRU has a lot more sets. Unfortunately, the nearest one too me is still an hour and a half away. :hmpf_bad:

ok thanks again. lol to your zellers problem :tongue:

ok thanks again. lol to your zellers problem :tongue:

Whoops, I should have been more clear. :blush: I have a zellers right near me, but the closest TRU is an hour and a half away.

Whoops, I should have been more clear. :blush: I have a zellers right near me, but the closest TRU is an hour and a half away.

ok, the nearest TRU to me is 30 min away :hmpf_bad:

My nearest TRU is around 5-10 minutes away. :laugh:

I almost never buy things there, though. I usually just go there to check out the box art on the sets, and to see some of the sets on display in those plastic containers. TRU is usually way overpriced. They had the Pirate impluses for $7.00 USD each (normal price $3.50)! :hmpf_bad: That's like paying $0.40 - $0.45 per piece! :hmpf:

Sorry about going off topic. :blush:

Edited by ILikePi

I absolutly love this set. It is what it is. An army builder. I wasnt to sure I would like the walker but it turns out it is really cool. I love this set. :thumbup: