Year: 2003

Pieces: 50

Price: I paid 500 yen

MSP: $4 US

Peeron

Bricklink

Brickset

4487-1.jpg

This came up at a good price on the auction, so I grabbed it. I have the full size Slave and Starfighter, and I really like getting the minis to go with them. I'm pretty mixed about Episode 2. I was embarrassed watching the movie with my (then) girlfriend when it came out, but that was because of the lame story and romance. The ship design was top notch, and the color schemes fairly modern and retro. The navy and yellow of the Slave and the white and burgundy of the Starfighter feel quite good, better than some of the current Clone Wars color schemes.

The Package

img_0640_2.jpg

The Pieces

img_0633_2.jpg

The set has 4 printed pieces. Two for the starfighter, one for the Slave, and one for the Bomber

img_0635_2.jpg

The Promotion

This was a Japanese set, and here are the three Kabaya sets released around the same time, advertised within.

img_0641_2.jpg

As well as the other Lego sets of that year.

img_0642_2.jpg

The set has 1/4 of a tie bomber, shown here.

img_0643_2.jpg

The Finished Product

The Slave

I really like this little ship, it's sleek and simple, but really captures the shape.

img_0607_2.jpg

img_0609_2.jpg

img_0610_2.jpg

img_0612_2.jpg

img_0614_2.jpg

img_0617_2.jpg

The Starfighter

This thing is a little too simple for my tastes. With standard bricks, I don't know what would make it better, but this is kind of flat and boring.

img_0619_2.jpg

img_0621_2.jpg

img_0626_2.jpg

img_0627_2.jpg

img_0628_2.jpg

img_0629_2.jpg

The Tie Piece

img_0630_2.jpg

I'm shopping around to get those other Tie Bomber pieces.

The extra parts

img_0631_2.jpg

All together

img_0632_2.jpg

Overall

Design: 8/10 I give the Slave a 10/10, the Starfighter a 6/10. There's very little to the Starfighter, it's made in 6 steps, the Slave in 8 steps. Bonus points for both having printed parts, the Starfighter having 2, and the Slave having the large blue piece printed with green and yellow.

Playability: 10/10 These mini pair sets were really well thought out, and are really fun. This set recreates part of Episode II and if I were a kid rather than just a kid at heart, I'd be thrilled to have this.

Price: 10/10 I was lucky getting it at the price I did, but up to $10 would be really reasonable for this set.

Build: 8/10 Really simple, but you can learn a lot about using odd pieces, so, particularly with the Slave, it is a lesson in effective minimalism.

Average Score: 9/10

Edited by def

This thing is a little too simple for my tastes. With standard bricks, I don't know what would make it better, but this is kind of flat and boring.

Maybe if they used a translucent cheese slope the cockpit would look a lot nicer(though I'm pretty sure cheese slopes weren't available yet)

Anyway great review, the Slave One looks phenomenal(by far my favorite of the first wave), and I agree that the Jedi Starfighter is bland(but its great that they even put printed pieces in a MINI :wub: )