starstreak

Review: 8420 Lego Street Bike- ALTERNATE BUILD

I'm going to do a brief review of the alternate set for the #8420 Lego Street Bike, which is a "Low Rider" type bike. I would normally include it in the normal review, but I just built it and wanted people to see it.

Set Name: 8420 Lego Street Bike- Alternate build

Theme: Technic

Released: 2005

Pieces: 506

Price: $49.95/39.99euro/35.45pounds

Alternate set- Low Rider

3326861682_6f3982638d.jpg

This is what it should look like in the manual.

Build Process

3353399843_b19847e4fc.jpg

Engine build. Looks the same as the street bike.

3353401423_66f466d054.jpg

Starting on the frame of the bike.

3353403087_63f0da7836.jpg

More of the front frame is on.

3354227836_c6c3b45f35.jpg

Rear frame and tire now on. Looks good with the tire like that. I like the one-sided arm.

3353407189_390ca9692a.jpg

Turned around. Now you see I added the rear frame and front holder for the fork.

3354231786_315623b22b.jpg

Now the aero parts parts on, including the chain and rear fender.

3353411349_3edf4de37d.jpg

Now front wheel and fork is on.

3354236574_0c5714efb7.jpg

Flipped it around. Finished. You can see the mufflers and handlebar is all done. :)

Sexy finished shots.

3350601884_48c33a6f04.jpg

Side profile.

3350601164_6509c8f3b9.jpg

Front view. Wow. Looks great either way. Either as a street bike or low rider.

3349772393_5a2df5120f.jpg

Rear shot. Very clean. Interesting how it used the windshield as the rear fender. It works well like that.

Features

No suspension like the first bike, but the wheels turn, the handlebar swivels, the rear tire turns the chain and moves the engine pistons.

Final thoughts

Wow. I never thought of building alternate sets. This one came out so well, it could've been the main set. I did notice that it required alot less pieces. That in itself is unusual. Normally you build the set, and find extra pieces to make the alternate. This one, I think I had exactly the parts for the main.

My rating:

Playability: 4 out of 5. Works like a toy bike. I wouldn't fling it down the stairs, but its good.

Design: 5 out of 5. So close. They should make a UC version of this. (updated. It's higher now because the alt is that good.)

Build experience: 3 out of 5. On a technic scale. It's a little harder than the snow mobile. But you don't need to be in high-school to build it.

Overall: 5 of 5. Buy it if you like bikes or a good technic set. (updated. It's higher now because the alt is that good.)

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed it!

Thank you for showing the alternative, I have never done anything but the main model.

It has to be said that the steering angle is a bit extreme on this model, but it can be found on real custom bikes too.

The bike does not look that great from the side, but your two last pictures from other angles, make the bike appear much more cool.

Yes. I think the angle view gives it the "look" that bike mags might use. :)

But I'm like you. I don't do alt, but the more I looked at it, the more I thought I would try. And it turned out fine.

Thank you for showing the alternative, I have never done anything but the main model.

It has to be said that the steering angle is a bit extreme on this model, but it can be found on real custom bikes too.

The bike does not look that great from the side, but your two last pictures from other angles, make the bike appear much more cool.

This looks better than the first model because it has no unsightly gaps, unlike the racer which had no gas tank. The only thing i don't understand is why lego choppers have their front lights at a 45 degree angle pointing up (this and the blue creator 3-in-1 set)