Sign in to follow this  
Front

REVIEW: 8296 Dune Buggy

8296 Dune Buggy

3353120739_a1ba501f5f_o.jpg

The small Dune Buggy (main model of this set) photographed up close with wide angle lens, to make it appear big :classic:

Information

Set name: Dune Buggy

Set number: 8296

Number of pieces: 199

Theme: Technic

Released: January 2008

Price : I think this like the similar 2009 set was at 19.99 Euro list price

Bricklink entry

Brickset entry

Here is another review of a Technic set, a small 2008 vehicle with two models to chose from, a Dune Buggy and a Tractor.

3353120407_10e97a3c0c_o.jpg

The box, two instructions books, and the parts in the set.

3353120923_f8ee0905ee_o.jpg

Building the main model is straight foreward, and here the main subassemblies are shown.

Far right the rack and pinion stering assembly, in the middle the seat in front of the steering input shaft, and to the left the V2 engine surrounded by the rear swingarms with suspension.

3353944630_5abbb0cd97_o.jpg

A nice thing about the Buggy is that the steering can be done either with the black gearweel on top, or by getting your fingers down to the steering wheel in front of the driver seat. The black gear wheel is connected to the steering wheel and rack-pinion, by an axle goin "through" the driver seat.

3353120623_307aae7c22_o.jpg

The underside of the Dune Buggy, revieling that the engine only drives the right rear tire. That's a bit of a let down, but it can be fixed by finding a long technic axle to connect the wheels directly. Putting in a differential should be impossible, hardly room for that.

One of the not-used parts in the main model is a tan gear wheel. Notice how the two parts Technic Wishbone Suspension Arm are used as a design element and not actually what they're meant for. I guess that's never been seen before in an official set, and some may think this is truely stupid.

Alternative model, the Tractor.

3353121061_62918ac093_o.jpg

Now to the second model, the tractor, here shown during the building. I arranged the subassemblies like in the picture, only to find out later that this is completely wrong. Two minutes after taking the picture I realised that this model is steered by crack control.

3353945368_721ea85951_o.jpg

Here is the finished tractor. I really think it's cool that the two models differ so much from each other in the designs. I have to admit that when I saw this piece Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular 3 Long used behind the engine, I thought the vehicle would have no steering :laugh:

3353121163_46b29655d6_o.jpg

Here the two functons of the Tractor is shown, the steering and the tool handling mechanism at the back. I am not into farming, so I can't say if the mechanism at the back is truthful to real world tractors. But I can imagine how the set can be added plow or similar equipment.

3353945498_17f99f391c_o.jpg

Finally a view of underside of the tractor.

Final notes:

I love building Technic, but small sized sets are usually boring stuff. I stated I actually was surprised during the building of the Tractor, and this surely is credit to the set, or you may view it as me admitting I have very little mechanical insight :laugh:

I bought this set for about 5.50 Euro a week ago (employee shop in Billund), but I would say that the set would be an ok buy for 15 Euro.

Although I try to be objective in my reviews, I should be considered incompetent, due to my job in Billund. Please, let me hear your thoughts on this set and its value.

Edited by Front

I think this set looks a lot nicer than the similarly priced 8261. It has a small engine, and it's nice how the driver's wheel is also connected to the steering geartrain.

The alternate model is also good, which is rarely the case with small sets. I can't tell how the thing in the back works though. Does it snap into place?

I think this set looks a lot nicer than the similarly priced 8261. It has a small engine, and it's nice how the driver's wheel is also connected to the steering geartrain.

The alternate model is also good, which is rarely the case with small sets. I can't tell how the thing in the back works though. Does it snap into place?

The "thing in the back" doesn't really "work". There weren't enough pieces for the alternate model to make the implement do anything in particular, so it just kind of ....... is. The spring shock has no function here.

Yes, the springs on the alternative model have no function, except from being part of a four-linkage mechanism. Also at the back, there are two gear wheels added for looks, they are not connected to anything.

Edited by Front

The "thing in the back" doesn't really "work". There weren't enough pieces for the alternate model to make the implement do anything in particular, so it just kind of ....... is. The spring shock has no function here.

I see. I wasn't sure what kind of tractor attachment it was supposed to be, as it looks almost a like crude crane hook. :grin:

I see. I wasn't sure what kind of tractor attachment it was supposed to be, as it looks almost a like crude crane hook. :grin:

To me, it looks most like the ripper on the back of a dozer. Not sure if they really put those on tractors.