Sign in to follow this  
Dragonator

Mystery Manor - Chapter Seven

I am hungry...

Well there's plenty of food still on the table if you guys want to stay here. That or the kitchen probably has some nice stuff lying around...

Well there's plenty of food still on the table if you guys want to stay here. That or the kitchen probably has some nice stuff lying around...

Let me take a closer look at the food on the table.

Dr. Phil once again looks at the table of food.

p1060258.jpg

The table is laden with food, and a large chair sits at the far end, with a slightly smaller yet equally as grand one sitting at the closer (eastern) end of the table.

Looks yummy to me! I am going to head straight to the large chair and grab the drumstick. Before I sat down, I need to inspect if the chair is not damage. I don't want to fall down while I am eating. I do wonder if I can consume that food down there. Do we need our chef to reheat them?

Dr. Phil walks over and picks up a cold chicken leg. You notice (as discovered earlier) that one of them has a bite in it already. The chair is not damaged, but you do notice that it is very slightly off centre.

*stands behind the off centre chair, waiting to adjust it just as Dr. Phil attempts to sit* :devil:

Let's go to the kitchen! I'm sure there'll be fresh food there, and I don't know about you guys, but I'm hungry! *stomach rumbles* Oh :blush:

The kitchen is currently the only place you have not yet visited

Do you mean that the kitchen is the last room we will visit?

I wonder if any of ALL the keys we've found fit in the empty spots?

I'd like to look through the vases, serving dishes, tea sets, plates and whatever else is in this cabinet.

We should take all the spare keys with in case we need them later.

I'd like to look through the vases, serving dishes, tea sets, plates and whatever else is in this cabinet.

I'd like to help look through the vases as well. (Beaten to the punch again!)

I'd also like to gorge myself to blotation.

*grabs all the keys* Never know when we might need another one of these to poke someone in the eye.
We should take all the spare keys with in case we need them later.

*pokes Mr. Dunne in the eye with a key* Pay attention! :tongue:

Now, where's the food? :sing:

Do you mean that the kitchen is the last room we will visit?

Possibly, I really wouldn't know. :wink:

John takes a look at all the keys you have found. Unsurprisingly the key found on the floor in the hallway fits in the space labelled "ballroom drawer". You do not have a key that fits the "front door" spot.

Michael and the Chef take a look through the various items in the bottom cupboard. A red smear on a blue vase with two dragons twined around it catches your eye at the back of the right cupboard, and you pull it over to take a look. Inside is a crumpled up napkin with red stains on it...

Let's go to the kitchen!

If you are all finished here then I would be happy to move on. Anyone want to look at anything else, or shall we go look in the kitchen? Not that there's likely to be anything of interest down there, but it's up to you. :grin:

A red smear on a blue vase with two dragons twined around it catches your eye at the back of the right cupboard, and you pull it over to take a look. Inside is a crumpled up napkin with red stains on it...[/i]

Ut oh. Let's look inside that napkin carefully, then head on down... I've got a bad feeling about this.

If you are all finished here then I would be happy to move on. Anyone want to look at anything else, or shall we go look in the kitchen? Not that there's likely to be anything of interest down there, but it's up to you. :grin:

When we get there, I'll look in the freezer. Just trust me on this one. :sceptic:

Peter looks in the napkin, but there is nothing inside it.

Right, well judging from your responses, we shall now go down to the kitchen.

The group of detectives walk downstairs, where they try the kitchen key in the door. It unlocks with a nice click, and the door swings open.

p1060827.jpg

Walking into the room, you find yourselves in a large kitchen. The room has plain stone walls with a single door over in the far corner of the north wall (other than the one you entered through, with is in the southern corner of the east wall). In the middle of the room is a large rolling table surfaced with wood to act as a cutting board. On it is a plate with a large cake, a piece of salami, and a carving knife.

p1060829.jpg

In the north-western corner, to the left of the other door, are two crates with various fruits and vegetables in them, a barrel with firewood in it and a large paddle presumably for taking things in and out of the large open on the west wall.

p1060830.jpg

The large oven is an open-fronted one with a deep interior. Items to be cooked are placed on metal grills above the fire beneath. On top of the oven are two ornamental dragons, the only decorations in the otherwise rather plain kitchen. To the left of the oven is a large sink with two taps. The south-western corner is mainly taken up by assorted barrels and hanging cured meats (not pictured).

p1060831.jpg

The eastern side of the kitchen contains some more modern furnishings, such as a large fridge and freezer in the north-eastern corner, a large dishwasher to the left of this, a small bench against the east wall with a microwave, a toaster and a kettle on it and some cupboards above it, and a large stove and modern oven against the south wall.

Anyone hungry? :sweet:

When we get there, I'll look in the freezer. Just trust me on this one. :sceptic:
The eastern side of the kitchen contains some more modern furnishings, such as a large fridge and freezer in the north-eastern corner

Did I mention that I'd like to look in that freezer upon arriving? :hmpf:

If that doesn't have the expected result, I'll also look in the refrigerator for some cheese and try to find some crackers around here, then cut up the salami for a snack, wiping off and pocketing the knife when I'm done.

Anyone hungry? :sweet:

What do you think? :tongue:

Peter opens up the freezer, which contains various food items such as ice-cream, peas, ice-cubes, frozen meat etc. There is nothing really of any interest inside. Peter then moves on to look in the fridge, where he finds a block of cheese amongst the various bottled drinks, butter, vegetables, meats etc. Their are unfortunately no crackers in the fridge, although there might be some somewhere else.

Are you sure you don't want to inspect the knife before using it? :look:

Bottled drinks, eh? I'm always up for a bottled drink. :thumbup:

Are you sure you don't want to inspect the knife before using it? :look:

Nope. I like my cheese and salami a bit on the rare side. :devil:

And anyway, what kind of killer would go to the bother of using a knife 182 rooms away and then return it to the kitchen without cleaning it? A sloppy one, not exactly the sort who would go to so much effort to even hide the body and clean up the blood.

Maybe that other door leads to a pantry with crackers? :sweet:

I'm wondering where the other end of the "service lift" is... I thought it would be in this room. I'd like to look around to find it. I'm really eager to find out why the cable was severed.

Peter takes a look through the far door to see what is on the other side. Beyond is a short hallway with four doors leading off it, two on each side. Presumably these were once servants quarters, however now they are no longer in use, apart from one which is being used an a large pantry. Inside you find various canned foods, packets of dried food, and yes, crackers! At the end of the corridor is a blank stone wall. That is, at the end of the corridor is what should be a blank stone wall, however part of it appears to have swung inwards revealing a staircase leading down...

I wonder if that is what the lever activated? I presume you will all want to take a good look around the kitchen before heading down there? I suppose it is to much to hope that you might ignore that staircase and not go down at all? :grin:

Miss Sandy takes a look around the kitchen and notices a hatch in the south wall next to the modern oven which had previously gone unnoticed. Beside this hatch are two buttons labelled "call" and "Dining Room". Miss Sandy opens the hatch and looks inside, however the dumb waiter is not there. You do note however that the shaft continues down into darkness...

*sits somewhere and eats his appetizer*

CHEF! What's for dinner??? Some of us are so hungry we didn't even check the knife before using it! :laugh:

Plus we have those spooky stairs down there, so I think we should at least enjoy a last nice supper before facing the almost certain death and disaster that awaits us. :hmpf_bad:

Mmmm, this is really good cheese. :sweet:

I'd like to examine the knife, preferably before Crawford uses it.

It looks like one of the table legs is crooked.... perhaps it comes off? I'd like to search that, as well as the other legs and the bottom side of the table.

*sits somewhere and eats his appetizer*

CHEF! What's for dinner??? Some of us are so hungry we didn't even check the knife before using it! :laugh:

I will cook up a feast for you. Fresh pasta with an onion cream sauce, followed by a roast pork tenderloin. After that we will have the chocolate mousse cake that I've made.

I would like to inspect the oven, and then dig in the cake to see if there's anything hidden inside.

Those stairs certainly look ominous... We'll have to check that out later.

I'd like to rummage through the food baskets and barrels and the firewood basket to see if anything was hidden in them. Also in the sink.

So it's definitely not the last room we need to visit. Grr, this makes our trip longer.

Ah, yes, let our chef cook a fine warm meal for us!

Michael inspects the carving knife. It is a stainless steel and dully polished. It seems to be clean. Michael also takes a look at the wheels of the central table. They are on rotating swivels, so when the table is moved the wheels turn in that direction.

I will cook up a feast for you. Fresh pasta with an onion cream sauce, followed by a roast pork tenderloin. After that we will have the chocolate mousse cake that I've made.

Sounds delicious! :sweet:

The Chef takes a look inside the large open oven. Inside is a lot of black char with a few glowing embers underneath. You do note something out of the ordinary though; there is a rather singed and blackened blue tassel on the stone right next to the edge of the fire pit.

John takes a look inside the food and firewood baskets. There is nothing hidden in them, other than a rather odd shaped turnip...

The sink is made of smooth polished stone and looks very old and worn with much use. One of the two taps is dripping slightly. There is nothing in the sink itself.

The Chef takes a look inside the large open oven. Inside is a lot of black char with a few glowing embers underneath. You do note something out of the ordinary though; there is a rather singed and blackened blue tassel on the stone right next to the edge of the fire pit.

Let's use the big paddle to take that out of the oven and put it on the counter. I think I'd like to take a closer look at it, if anything has survived. Seems someone disposed of some evidence, perhaps.

John takes a look inside the food and firewood baskets. There is nothing hidden in them, other than a rather odd shaped turnip...

You never know where a clue might ... wait for it ... turnip. :look::sceptic:

Someone take a look at it anyway. :tongue:

The sink is made of smooth polished stone and looks very old and worn with much use. One of the two taps is dripping slightly. There is nothing in the sink itself.

Back into the chamber turning, all my soul within me burning,

Soon again I heard a tapping, something louder than before,

"Surely," said I, "surely, that is something at my window lattice.

Let me see, then, what thereat is, and this mystery explore.

Let my heart be still a moment, and this mystery explore.

" 'Tis the wind, and nothing more."

Peter use the paddle to get the tassel out of the oven and puts it up on the bench. It looks like it was once blue, and the thin end has a very small corner of fabric that is completely burnt, as if it were attached to something larger before, such as a curtain or the corner of a rug perhaps. You also note upon close inspection that there are some dark spots amongst the blue, although that could just be the char; it makes it very hard to tell.