3 hours ago, glendo said:

Sorting and storage are two different subjects

Storing and sorting depend on each other, so they are not two different subjects.

For most LEGO fans they work in unity.

5 hours ago, Jim said:

Storing and sorting depend on each other, so they are not two different subjects.

Totally agree.  Once I sort my pieces, I need a way to store them so they stay sorted.  Otherwise, I'm continually sorting.  And that's not fun! :-(

6 hours ago, Jim said:

And often the sorting system depends on the storage backing it...

8 minutes ago, masterX244 said:

And often the sorting system depends on the storage backing it...

Exactly. Number of parts, storage system en sorting system is the holy trinity :laugh:

On July 20, 2016 at 0:07 PM, SevenStuds said:

I've tried those Advent Calendar trays, but it find it difficult to see parts at the bottom of the black compartments. Back in 2009 (I think), they were transparent and before that white, which made them better for storage. I believe that Kinder also makes advent calendars today with white 24 compartment trays, but you can't part out chocolates on Bricklink just to keep the trays :laugh:

I've started using an advent calendar tray for small elements that tend to come in only one or two colors, like Technic pins. I wish now I'd kept the trays from two duplicates I've gotten of two of the calendars, but hadn't really given much thought to their ongoing utility (I do keep at least one box from each Advent Calendar release that I get, but these were duplicate copies).

On 1/5/2017 at 0:47 AM, antp said:

All mixed in two overfilling wooden boxes; I really have to organize that better :D

My method is similar. Except I keep them mixed in plastic storage bins. Better organization would be nice, but I still need to organize my LEGO better, which is never ending!

Andy D

This thread is so very useful, but sometimes, particularly for new members it can be hard to find.

I have often wondered why this thread is not pinned?

Just MHO, YMMV,

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Just now, Andy D said:

This thread is so very useful,but sometimes, particularly for new members it can be hard to find.

I have often wondered why this thread is not pinned?

Just MHO, YMMV,

Andy D

We have an Index for useful topics :wink:

7 hours ago, Jim said:

We have an Index for useful topics :wink:

Yeah, but that is as difficult for new users as searching the forum, and how many new users use the GLDI?

Just MHO, YMMV

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

11 hours ago, Andy D said:

Yeah, but that is as difficult for new users as searching the forum, and how many new users use the GLDI?

Just MHO, YMMV

Andy D

My mileage indeed varies :wink: 

The fact that new users don't use indices has nothing to do with them being difficult. It has something to do with generic forum behavior.....and/or being lazy. 

When I joined Eurobricks, I didn't use the indices either, so I know how that works. But indices are there for a reason, and that's user convenience. We can't pin every moderately interesting topic, because people don't use the index.

We, like so many people on here, started storing our Lego in the same way, all in storage bins in Colour. Then as our collection of bricks expanded as we bought used sets to break apart on Ebay , bought now bricks on PAB online and BL, BO, we found that colour sorting was not the way to go. So over the last month we have now sorted them by brick kind or element. So in this photo you see everything that is either too big to fit in the small bins, plates etc or we have too many of like 1x2, 1x4 bricks and so on.

Lego Storage

Then for the smaller elements like tiles, mini fig stuff, we grabbed several storage bins and used them. Had to label them as it was just getting too confusing !

Lego Storage

We even have a section for Dirty Lego ! Stuff that needs a good clean or is too discoloured to use but can be useful for testing purposes or unseen bricks like foundations and under floor.

Now we just need to find a suitable cupboard to hide it all away :)

On 03/04/2017 at 11:11 AM, swisstony said:

We, like so many people on here, started storing our Lego in the same way, all in storage bins in Colour. Then as our collection of bricks expanded as we bought used sets to break apart on Ebay , bought now bricks on PAB online and BL, BO, we found that colour sorting was not the way to go. So over the last month we have now sorted them by brick kind or element. So in this photo you see everything that is either too big to fit in the small bins, plates etc or we have too many of like 1x2, 1x4 bricks and so on.

@swisstony, Would you be able to tell me where you got the yellow sorting stack from? I'm assuming your from the UK like me because of the 3-pin plug socket and that user name :classic:.

Swiss-Toni-800x450.jpg

Sorting lego is like making love to a beautiful lady... First you have to make sure your bits fit in the appropriate sized slot, are her draws well lubricated? allowing for easy access. But most importantly does she allow you to quickly get your hands on the bits you really want.

If you are just a bloke from Switzerland called Tony, please accept my apologises for the obscure 90's comedy references from England.

I am 90% done at this point sorting by color and have started sorting by part type a little bit.  II tried sorting by part type first years ago and that did not go well at all.

Usually I just split out whatever is obvious first, for example I had to make a second drawer for all my black slopes as there were just soooo many of them.

I've been using drawers at the moment but I'm quickly running out of space because they can only be stack so high before the bottom wont open anymore. I hope to have a shelf system to place them on in the future when I get to a more permanent abode.

I'm super frugal and wanted to mention that I find those nice sterilite drawers pretty regularly at mom and pop thrift shops for very cheap. Also if I see one on the road on trash day being tossed I grab it, even if its broken, because in about a month I'll find another thats broken in a different way and I'll use the parts to make one unit. I probably have several hundred dollars in nice sterilite  drawers and I think I've spent less than $15 so far if even that. Something to think about if you are on a budget which I know many of us are.

:)

Edited by Criosphynx

My collection is still small enough that it can be sorted successfully by colour. I have 8, matching boxes from a UK supermarket (I can't remember which one, but I think they were called shoeboxes for no apparent reason). I have used 6 for colour separation (Red, white, black, green/blue, yellow/orange, greys), one for wheels and tires and one for technic elements; I like to keep most of them handy and separate, and colour doesn't matter as they are all black, DBG, LBG or yellow. I also have 4 large 'flora spread' tubs repurposed to hold minifigure parts, transparent parts, power function parts and 'other colours', i.e. parts that don't fit into any of the box categories already mentioned. All these fit neatly underneath a low coffee table, on top of which are presented my MOCs. With some careful arrangement, the four 'primary' colours can be at the front, making for a visually pleasing display.

On 04/04/2017 at 2:29 PM, That Orange Thing said:

@swisstony, Would you be able to tell me where you got the yellow sorting stack from? I'm assuming your from the UK like me because of the 3-pin plug socket and that user name :classic:.

Swiss-Toni-800x450.jpg

Sorting lego is like making love to a beautiful lady... First you have to make sure your bits fit in the appropriate sized slot, are her draws well lubricated? allowing for easy access. But most importantly does she allow you to quickly get your hands on the bits you really want.

If you are just a bloke from Switzerland called Tony, please accept my apologises for the obscure 90's comedy references from England.

Ha ha, dont panic you are spot on with the Fast Show guesss yes its me SwissTony and I love the reference ! 

It would have been funnier though if I had been some random bloke called Tony who lived is Geneva and took utter offence at your comments. damn :)

Ok bins are Draper ones from Amazon. I searched for ages for these are the bins are the right size for the amount we have.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01F3NFZEO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

enjoy !

Swiss

On 04/04/2017 at 2:29 PM, That Orange Thing said:

You are more than welcome... as you can see I have the other version but with the smaller drawers but unless you have tiny parts ( fnaaar fnaar) the bins soon fill up. Unlike our US brothers and sisters who can get those Akro-mills for cents, us brits have to either pay top dollar or make do with the inferior stuff.

Anyone feel outright overwhelmed when sorting their Lego? My collection has reached a size at which lumping together too many different kind of bricks is no longer suitable and actually negatively impacts my ability to build stuff, because I spend more netto time searching for parts in a bunch of bricks than actual building. So, I am trying to sort my Lego kinda half-heartedly for months now, and it just seems like such an impossible task. I don't have a lot of storing options right now, because it seems like a very expensive thing to do for a big collection. I bought one of these a few months ago:

91SOt-xeEGL._SY450_.jpg

It works fairly well for my purposes, but it's filled in no-time and the standard compartments are just pretty small, so any brick kind with a mentionable amount tends to be too much for it anyway and calls for a bigger compartment. So, I would probably need another four or fives of those to sort just the parts that are small enough in numbers to fit the compartments, and then I would still need another storage solution for bricks in greater numbers. So, we are talking about 100+ bucks here for the storage just to be able to basically sort the greatest part of my collection. Now, I know that this is actually not that much for such storing solutions, but it still hurts me a little to think that this money could be spent on Lego instead. Especially when storing is not even the top priority right now, but rather sorting so that I get a complete idea what my final storage solution should end up like in the first place.

I actually feel like wanting more of those inlay plastic boxes that used to come with Lego technic sets in the 90s. I never really utilized them as a kid and they broke easily, but having a bunch of those would be a great and affordable way to sort my stuff and determine my needs. Right now, I even use the plastic boxes that I get my food in when I order chinese... can anyone relate to my current situation? It's like I am really willing to thoroughly sort my stuff, but I just don't know where to start.

I am using these at the moment, have 6 stacks of these. Only used for smaller parts (anything up to 2x3, bricks or plates), they have seperate compartments in different sizes which you can take out of the case and customize the arrangement to your needs.

Anything bigger is in big plastic tubs, sorted by color. Or tin boxes that my Twinings tea came in... I'm already out of space and my old Technics parts are still awaiting cleaning and sorting. I need to stop buying ... in hope I can wash and sort everything before storage space in my cellar runs out :D

56100_2.jpg

Edited by Capparezza

On 4/24/2017 at 5:37 AM, Capparezza said:

I am using these at the moment, have 6 stacks of these. Only used for smaller parts (anything up to 2x3, bricks or plates), they have seperate compartments in different sizes which you can take out of the case and customize the arrangement to your needs.

Anything bigger is in big plastic tubs, sorted by color. Or tin boxes that my Twinings tea came in... I'm already out of space and my old Technics parts are still awaiting cleaning and sorting. I need to stop buying ... in hope I can wash and sort everything before storage space in my cellar runs out :D

56100_2.jpg

Can I ask what brand these are/where you got them? Thanks!

I prefer the Plano type boxes like 3600 or 23730 with the more secure latches and hinges that aren't the bendy ones that break after a certain number of bends.

10 hours ago, welfycat said:

Can I ask what brand these are/where you got them? Thanks!

Hello there! The brand is Alutec and I bought them at Conrad, see link: https://www.conrad.de/de/sortimentskoffer-set-l-x-b-x-h-322-x-279-x-297-mm-alutec-anzahl-faecher-16-variable-unterteilung-820693.html.

The plastic holder for the cases is really usefull with it's handle on top, the cases don't fall out while transporting. But beware: The plastic holder itself is rather flimsy (lots of heavy LEGO pieces might be a no go in the long run) and not intended for stacking them vertically. However, the cases themselves are stackable, so you are not tied to using the holder.

12 hours ago, BubbaFit45531 said:

I prefer the Plano type boxes like 3600 or 23730 with the more secure latches and hinges that aren't the bendy ones that break after a certain number of bends.

I have been using the Plano boxes (they were made as fishing tackle boxes) for several years. They are very durable and many have adjustable dividers to accomodate different size and numbers of parts.

I mainly use them for Technic and Minifig stuff. I store bricks in Sterilite 15 qt. boxes in baggies or Glad storage containers.

A few years ago I bought 20 of the Plano 3750 boxes, but it appears that they have changed their numbering system as the box doesn't look like the ones I have. I am in need of about 10 more so maybe the local outdoor store will have a choice in the fishing tackle area, or maybe the hobby/craft store.

My total storage system is not just one type... I use

15 qt. Sterelite containers with...

Plastic food storage bags and/or 

Entree size food storage containers

Inside the 15 qt. Containers

Plano boxes -- and --

Akro Mills drawer systems

For me, storing LEGO is not a one-size fits all.

Good luck with your storage solution,

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

On 4/27/2017 at 11:24 AM, Andy D said:

A few years ago I bought 20 of the Plano 3750 boxes, but it appears that they have changed their numbering system as the box doesn't look like the ones I have. I am in need of about 10 more so maybe the local outdoor store will have a choice in the fishing tackle area, or maybe the hobby/craft store.

Andy D

You might want to check your wal-marts too Andy, I know in my neck, there's usually a area in the sporting goods area usually jammed with plano product, and frankly, at better prices then other carriers. i always prefered plano products back in my CMG days (collectible minature games)