MetroiD

MOC: Triumph Daytona 657

indexed.gif V-LV-24C

5017321049_c8fca050d9_z.jpg

(link is to my other Triumph bike)

Back when I was a kid, I loved building Technic motorcycles. But for one reason or another, now I seem to be much more compelled to build bikes for the people of our town... So you could say that I've been on a minifig-bike-frenzy lately. This is the MOC which started it all - a long-time favourite of mine, the Triumph Daytona 675. Seeing as there weren't too many minifig sport bike MOCs, I thought this one would be a nice personal challenge to start off with.

Updated version (replaced the trans-yellow headlights and the brown handlebars which did make a difference, I think):

1mainpic.jpg

3angles3.jpg

joetherider.jpg

You can check out more shots of the Daytona 675 and the Speed Triple in this flickr set.

I don't remember seeing that many custom minifig-scale bikes outside the molded 3rd party ones, so this is absolutely original, and can't have been the easiest challenge, I guess. It looks real fast though, but then again, bikes like these are supposed to look fast, right? :wink:

Very cool. :thumbup:

Your design is absolutely fantastic! I love small, low-parts builds like this, and yours captures the shape so well. Any plans for a roadster of some sort?

This is one of the best brick built motorcycles I've seen. I didn't even notice it was all brick-built at first. Can we see a shot of the fig on it? It all works together so well. It's very ingenious. Nice work! :sweet:

That is absolutely stunning! :wub:

Would you consider step by step assembly instructions so we can all enjoy this at home? :grin:

I know, it's asking too much, but maybe some discussion of the finer hard-to-see points?

You, sir, have been blogged.

Wow!

Thanks for the nice comments guys. I can't believe you've chosen to blog this one - thanks, ImperialShadows!!! Seeing as this was my very first attempt at motorcycle building and I only had a limited range of parts at my disposal, I do believe that this can still be improved on. Which of course, does not mean I'm not happy with the design - this bike is going to remain as it is, but I will be placing a Bricklink order for a few more specific parts soon and then we'll see if I manage to complete one of my favourite other sport motorcycles, this time a green one. Yeah, you guessed it, I also like Kawasaki :)

In the meantime, I've got another, more "comic", motorcycle design which I'll post laster on today. The good thing about it is that the minifig fits the bike without any problems. With this one, unfortunately, having a minifig actually ride the bike is pretty much impossible and can only be accomplished using suitable camera angles:

story1_resize.jpg

story3_resize.jpg

I will work on that with the Kawasaki and hopefully find a resolution. However, I have noticed that building a chopper/cruiser-style bike which can fit a minifig rider is much easier than finding a way for minifigs to ride sportier motorcycle designs, which in this scale are very clogged up in order to achieve the sleek look...

I have had the request to provide instructions on MOCpages as well, so I will definitely take a few photos of the Triumph's assembly & main chunks and post them here. I would be happy to see some of these rolling around in your own towns :wink:

Edited by Asya & Bobby Otters

Wah!! Very smart!!!!!!!! Good job!

Edit by Hinckley: Benny, please don't quote an entire post with pictures like that unless you are responding point by point to the quoted post or pictures. Thank you.

That baby´s looking real fast. :thumbup:

A very elegant work, it´s a shame that the ordinary MF´s that bad at riding... :grin:

That is one nice bike. I am a fan of the sport bikes, and finally it gives something for the LEGO City bike cops to do. :devil:

nice motorcycle.

did you use the tyre rubber inside out for making it slick tyre?

nice trick. :thumbup:

i like this one too.

did you use the tyre rubber inside out for making it slick tyre?

Precisely. To be perfectly honest, I think I copied it from Noddy's bikes (you can check those out on mocpages). However, I think that slick tires such as these ones only look good on sporty bikes, so you won't see me turning that many tires inside out.

Just finished another motorcycle study/project, once I get around to photographing it, I'll also take a few shots of the Daytona's assembly and post them on here.

@ TenorPenny: thanks ;) The very first thing I thought when I first saw a trans yellow cheese brick was: motorcycle headlights! So there you go...

Edited by Asya & Bobby Otters

Very nice bike Asya & Bobby! It looked like a one piece bike but when I looked closely, I saw a great deal of detail! The photo where the minifigure is sitting close to the bike is so cool! Great job on the twin pipes! :-)

Thanks sens mate :)

Here's just a quick shot showing the main chunks of the Daytona and how they connect together. I hope this helps all of you guys who've requested it. Sorry, I didn't have the time for more detailed assembly photos, but I do think this one is pretty self-explanatory:

TriumphAssembly.jpg

Edited by TheOtters

Sorry for resurrecting this thread (which was actually one of my first topics on EB :) ). I made a few slight modifications to the Daytona, so I thought I'd share those... If anyone of you wonders what the other bike featured in the first pic is - it's a Triumph Speed Triple :grin:

Thanks sens mate :)

Here's just a quick shot showing the main chunks of the Daytona and how they connect together. I hope this helps all of you guys who've requested it. Sorry, I didn't have the time for more detailed assembly photos, but I do think this one is pretty self-explanatory:

triumphassembly.jpg

Um.. Pic doesn´t show up.. :look:

Maybe you got a link? :wink:

Maybe you got a link? :wink:

New pic uploaded :) Sorry, did a little moving around of our Brickshelf folders recently and I guess that's the result :]

Thanks, but it takes a while for the folder to moderate... Could you please post a direct link to the pic?

Yeah, OK, I´m maybe a little impatient... :blush:

Edited by Dennimator

Great job :oh:

I like how this is brick built and is much nicer than the single mold cycles LEGO has made currently.

However the best LEGO motorcycle is still this one :wub::tongue:

x81c02.gif

However the best LEGO motorcycle is still this one :wub::tongue:

I also love the Classic bike to bits!!! :wub:

Unfortunately, its scale makes it look rather weird when placed alongside a 4- to 5-wide car, or a Modular set. The more years pass by, the more that good ol' bike starts to look like a scooter instead of a motorcycle - and there was no way I'd have my town's minifigs riding around on scooters and perfectly identical sports/ or dirtbikes (as are the ones coming out with the current mold :) ).

I did... check out the previous page, would you? :tongue:

...Oh. :blush:

I also love the Classic bike to bits!!! :wub:

Unfortunately, its scale makes it look rather weird when placed alongside a 4- to 5-wide car, or a Modular set. The more years pass by, the more that good ol' bike starts to look like a scooter instead of a motorcycle - and there was no way I'd have my town's minifigs riding around on scooters and perfectly identical sports/ or dirtbikes (as are the ones coming out with the current mold :) ).

So true. :sadnew:

But Brickforge´s scooters... :wub: