ILikePi

General Mills LEGO Racers Promotional

Rating  

35 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate these free promotionals? Consider the price (free!) before you vote

• 1 - Very Bad
    • 2 - OK
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Excellent

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hey guys, a week or so ago I saw a commercial advertising General Mills cereal with free LEGO Racers in them. I knew I had to get some of that cereal! :tongue:

Five types of General Mills cereals have it:

- Cheerios

- Cinnamon Toast Crunch

- Cookie Crisp

- Lucky Charms

- Trix

Although the pieces were made in China, they still feel like high-quality plastic.

I think that this is a promotion only in the US, sorry Europe and other continents.

Ok, on to the pictures! :classic:

I decided to put clickable pictures, since this is my first topic :classic:

3289257568_7b05b9b779.jpg

Here's the box, with the advertisement.

3289257894_7a44ce8b6a.jpg

Here's a close-up of the ad.

3289258250_8638eebc0b.jpg

Box back.

3289258556_dafae6fe87.jpg

Here's a close-up of the "Driver Stats".

3289258900_6072f7e047.jpg

Close-up of the racers...

3288441363_e3aa9c4595.jpg

You can see that the racer is at the bottom of the cereal :hmpf_bad: I had to get my mom to help me push it out without killing the cereal :tongue:

3288441803_8af1858ab1.jpg

Here's the car, wrapped up with all the plastic baggy goodness :classic:

3288442133_f8acc58000.jpg

Here's the car compared to a minifig. You can see that I got the blue one.

At this point, I stopped to do my homework, and opened the wrap after I finished as a reward :tongue:

3288442545_8142a7a3ed.jpg

Yay! Cinnamon Toast Crunch! :tongue:

I think the last time I ate it was like 3 years or so :grin:

3288442941_ce6bd2f471.jpg

Yup, it sure is enlarged to show detail :tongue:

3288443303_09a3834530.jpg

Here's the sticker sheet. I refuse to call a DSS because LEGO would never put printed parts on a free LEGO set...

3288445973_b7ecc0c3bb.jpg

The back of the sticker sheet; it tells you where to apply the stickers.

3288446295_32b021f16b.jpg

Here's the car without stickers. At this point, I had to get another bowl of cereal :tongue:

3288446675_5b7d628b93.jpg

Here's the bottom of the car. The set number can't be 7190, since that's one of the Millenium Falcon's numbers.

3289265072_96bb967ac0.jpg

The whole car is two pieces. If you have all six, you can make over 200 combinations (according to the box)!

3288447385_ed3c571d1a.jpg

The top can fit on backwards :tongue:

3289266140_704eb289eb.jpg

The "build time" was around 5 minutes if you work carefully. Those stickers are hard to put on!

3288448401_d5778ba18a.jpg

3289267304_5c67034571.jpg

The two sides after stickered.

3288448805_98f0a5de88.jpg

Front after stickered.

3289267710_8bf13fefb5.jpg

Used up SS.

3289268144_5dbef211df.jpg

The pilot is doing a move in The Matrix :tongue:

3288450415_d027abe1ce.jpg

The pilot's getting ready for the annual go-kart race :tongue:

3289268922_07bffbeb2e.jpg

Double-decker bus :tongue:

3289269290_89961d8103.jpg

And here's a picture of the top part backwards again.

When I was eating dinner a few hours ago, I dropped the car by accident. I then found out that there are three parts to the car, not two! There third part is a 2 x 7 chassis.

Here's a picture:

3289027253_3acc5bbe36.jpg

And a picture of a "hot rod" :tongue: :

3289846544_de2ba0a8df.jpg

PART 2:

A week or so ago, I got a box of Trix with the banner on it:

3312238403_73cf8c1470.jpg

3312238813_a38b220b6b.jpg

This time, the car is on top of the bag instead of inside the bag.

3312239171_d3978858a9.jpg

Yay! Rainbow cereal! :classic:

3313067168_281e462ef6.jpg

Close-up of the bagged car. You can see that I got the police car (yay! :classic: ).

3312239889_724304a2b6.jpg

One bag taken off...

3313067860_25643a6732.jpg

Close-up on the back of the sticker sheet. This car has a grey chassis.

3313068216_2665d22401.jpg

And the front...

Back views (unstickered)

3313068970_63255597b4.jpg

Here's the fully stickered set. You can see that I messed up the one on the windshield, so I had to put some glue on it...

The racer uses some of the same stickers as the police car in 8152 Speed Chasing:

3319171253_1cc71ccfd4.jpg

It also looks similar to it. I bet that it was based on that police car.

More views:

Front-top view

Back-side view

Side view

Front view

Mix-and-match:

Top pieces, Side view

Chassis

Backwards police car

Backwards top pieces

What did I think about these sets? They're great! :)

After all, who doesn't like free LEGO? Probably anti-LEGO people. :tongue:

My mom got the cereal on sale for $2.50 instead of $3.50. It's like paying $2.50 for the set! :classic:

These are probably also new molds! :cry_happy:

I'm probably going to get more cereal! I want that got the police car :laugh: , but of course I'm not going to get all 6 cars. They're random for every box.

Thanks for reading my first topic! :classic:

Feel free to click any of the pictures to post comments on that certain picture (if you have a Flickr account).

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Fantastic review.

You really got into detail about the car, and, unlike most reviews, took us step by step through the entire building process. you have certainly helped me make up my mind about this set! Thank you so much!

I saw this at the grocery store. And I must pick one up! It looks really cool, and I'm sure on brickl;ink in the future those pieces will be worth a bunch. :thumbup:

Fantastic review.

You really got into detail about the car, and, unlike most reviews, took us step by step through the entire building process. you have certainly helped me make up my mind about this set! Thank you so much!

Well, this is my first review, so I decided to make it long :classic:

By the way, there's no "building process". :tongue: It comes already assembled.

Edited by ILikePi

I picked up the exact same cereal just two days ago, but never saw anything like this on the boxes. :tongue:

Ohwell, makes me miss the old days when cereal box promos were made of actual lego bricks indistinguishable from those in stores.

At least these 'bricks' are compatible. Be interesting if someone figures out a clever way to use them...

When I was eating dinner a few hours ago, I dropped the car by accident. I then found out that there are three parts to the car, not two! There third part is a 2 x 7 chassis.

Here's a picture:

3289027253_3acc5bbe36.jpg

And a picture of a "hot rod" :tongue: :

3289846544_de2ba0a8df.jpg

A new part of the review is now up.

Very Clever

Now that chassis has some potential as a more normal car base with some unique wheels.

How thick is it?(get more of a side view perhaps)

There is precedent in the distant past for 4-wide cars with similar 1piece chassis:

2441.png

P.S. What supermarket did you find these in?

Edited by xenologer

The chassis' thickness is in between 2 and 3 plates. I'll post a picture later because it's dark right now, and I have to sleep soon.

EDIT: I saw some Lucky Charms at Walmart, and my mom went to Safeway to get the Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I think my Safeway has CTC and Lucky Charms. So, I would probably go to Safeway.

Edited by ILikePi

thats awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i wish we had those in canada but no one cares about nascar here :hmpf_bad:

An interesting development to be sure. I'm torn between thinking that these are fairly unattractive, and useless, and on the other hand being pleased to see that they are at least System-compatible. It would have been nice if the McDonalds Batman stuff from last year had been made like this. I didn't bother to get any of those because they weren't System-compatible.

I'd like to see the actual brick-built, mini-sets that we used to see, but I have a feeling that's a thing of the past. If so, lets hope that future LEGO cross-brand promotions at least adhere to the standard of compatibility that we are seeing in this release.

I'll probably pick up one just to see for myself. If only they came in Golden Grahms...

I appreciate your enthousiasm but I truly find these just about the ugliest things Lego has ever made. A car in three pieces!

I like that car base, nothing wrong with that, but to have the rest of the car in 2 pieces with an instruction sheet that tells you where to apply the 300 stickers? That's so unlike Lego.

And I'm not saying that because I'm from Europe so we won't have them anyway... they should have used the same promo items that we got with a brand of cookies, those were little 30 part polybags.

I hadn't seen this post and only found out about these today when I saw the commercial on TV (while watching Spongebob, hehe). I readied my camera so that when the commercial shows again I can record it. Here's the video for anyone interested - http://smutoys.multiply.com/video/item/21/...cers_Commercial

I'm gonna go see if these are out in stores already, if so I'll grab one.

Edited by dieselboy m

I was thinking about recording it if I saw the commercial again. :tongue:

Looks like you did the job for me! :P

Thanks for the long and picture-full review!

I like Lego Racers, but I'm not keen on this. A Lego car in three parts is a bit of a cop-out! :hmpf_bad: Come on, when I was younger I used to get those Johnny Thunder promo cars which were made of real Lego pieces! Anyway, I do like the chassis, although I'm English so probably wouldn't be able to get one of these. :sceptic:

:skull:

Edited by Shoc

I think those chassises will be available through Bricklink soon enough, if you really want one. Or the complete cars...

Personally I think the chassis is the only okay part but not good enough to really want it.

I don't know about that. They should already be in BrickLink's catalog, because I read on another forum that people started seeing the commercial on February 4.

WTF is with the name? Cinnamon Toast Crunch? In Poland we still have CinniMinis Lol

I will wait month or two and I think we will get this promo in Poland too. I always eat a cereal so I propably get it.

Maybe it is not a real set, but it have studs! Not like Lego McDonald toys now...

Edited by Lordofdragonss

Just got some cinnamon toast crunch today, and got one of these for myself.

Mine was the yellow and green racer. I like it. A lot. The stickers will not make their way on it, as the pieces could come in great handy.

Pics later.

I don't make MOCs, so that's why I put on my stickers. :tongue:

I'm more of a person who buys sets to play with.

Yay! I just got another box of cereal, and this time I got the police car! :classic:

To me, it looks the best of the 6.

I can't believe that I got it on my second box!

New part of the review coming soon!

Yay! I just got another box of cereal, and this time I got the police car! :classic:

Congrats! That's my most wanted from the set also. I went out the same night I found out about these and got a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, I scored the red Racer. I'll add a review soon as well.

Its a shame the racers arent like the oatmeal promotion that came with real pieces and good ones at that. I ate so much oat meal in those times and frankly, I freaking hated it. But it was worth it.

Congrats! That's my most wanted from the set also. I went out the same night I found out about these and got a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, I scored the red Racer. I'll add a review soon as well.

Oh, cool. I can add it to the first post if you want.