Sign in to follow this  
Eilif

Light Logging Truck

indexed.gif V-LC-10B

Not long ago, I added a small Christmas tree farm to my LEGO town Brickington. Now that the trees are nearing maturity it was necessary to build a vehicle to transport them. This started out as a mod of the German Transport truck from INDY set 7622. By the time the evening ended, it was something very different. Here's some pics. Life is much easier ever since I wised up and spent 8 bucks on a mini-tripod for my digital camera.

I wish I could take credit for the frog hood ornament, but someone else did it first. Finaly found a use for my chrome grates though.

DSCF0329.jpg

This is probably my first vehicle that has used half setbacks and combined 5 and 6 wide sections. Old hat for most MOC'ers, but new ground for me. I wanted it to look like it might have a dump capability with out having to build it as such.

DSCF0330.jpg

With driver and a full load of 2 trees. Yeah, it's a small truck.

DSCF0335.jpg

That's it. I wanted to build a truck that would fit with both the 4 wide cars and 6 wide trucks that exist throughout Brickington, and I'm happy with the results. However, I'm pretty new to MOCing road vehicles, so suggestions for improvement are greatly appreciated.

Edited by Phred

Real nice work. I love the hood ornament and the gas tank, steppy-thing-o. The bed is also very cool. I'm a little confused as to why the windshield is split. *Does 5-wide math in head, thinks about wing plates... - 2 ...* :wacko: what about jumper plates? This is a very cool truck, regardless. I like the antique feeling it has. :classic:

Bee-Yu-Ti-Ful! Aside from what Hinckley said my only suggestions would be to have the two back axles closer together, and have the bed closer to the cab. You could raise up the tools to do that. Great job though, and very inventive on the hood ornament :tongue:.

Bee-Yu-Ti-Ful! Aside from what Hinckley said my only suggestions would be to have the two back axles closer together

I was going to sugject the same thing. Other than that, great looking truck!

Ditto. Move the two rear axles closer together, that way you'll get a nicer rear bogie.

I can't help but think that the truck looks like it was bought at a military surplus market, with its tan coloration and purposeful looks. Looks very rugged and capable. :thumbup:

Real nice work. I love the hood ornament and the gas tank, steppy-thing-o. The bed is also very cool. I'm a little confused as to why the windshield is split. *Does 5-wide math in head, thinks about wing plates... - 2 ...* :wacko: what about jumper plates? This is a very cool truck, regardless. I like the antique feeling it has. :classic:

Thanks. The windshield is a small frustration of mine. I really wanted a 5 wide window to cover the driver better. I acutally had to use jumpers to get the windows placed as they are. In the end, it looked better having the space in the middle than filling it with 1x1 trans brick. I'm glad the antique look came across. I was hoping it would look old.

Bee-Yu-Ti-Ful! Aside from what Hinckley said my only suggestions would be to have the two back axles closer together, and have the bed closer to the cab. You could raise up the tools to do that. Great job though, and very inventive on the hood ornament :tongue:.

Thanks Ricecracker, I just moved the axle back and it looks much better! As for the bed, I decided to leave it so that it looks more like it's "dumpable".

I can't help but think that the truck looks like it was bought at a military surplus market, with its tan coloration and purposeful looks. Looks very rugged and capable. :thumbup:

That pretty much summed up the look I was going for. Rugged, old and capable. I wanted it to look like a truck that may have had a previous purpose, but had seen alot of use.

Edited by Eilif

This is a very nice truck Eilif. I like the design and colors. The back section would work for hauling just about anything. The frog used as a hood ornament is a clever idea.

This deserves a BLOG!

Nice job. :thumbup:

This is a very nice truck Eilif. I like the design and colors. The back section would work for hauling just about anything. The frog used as a hood ornament is a clever idea.

This deserves a BLOG!

Nice job. :thumbup:

Thanks Brickster, I've never been blogged before!

The frog is clever, but it I'm sad to say it's not my invention.

very nice truck.

nice idea for using that vehicle base.

i like the bed design with that fences.

overall is great.

Nice truck. I am with the other guys. The back axles are a little far apart. I think a truck with axles that far apart would be REALLY hard to turn. As per usual, you surprise me with your great MOCs Eilif.

Very nice work Eilif! The details are great and the whole front part is artificially built! :thumbup:

To speak the truth, when I first saw it -and still evey time I look at it- it really reminded me of a WWII vehicle, one of those that were operating in Africa Korps. The colours, the vertical windshield with the gap in the middle and even the axles distance work very well together to give me that impression.

If you could add crawler tracks on the back wheels the resemblance would be even greater.

I'm not a WWII vehicle expert so forgive me if some of my points are just too simple or weak :hmpf: .

It's just me thinking loudly :blush: .

As any good childrens TV presenter would say: this is WICKED! :thumbup:

Love this design! The colour scheme here is top notch. The front of the MOC is very nice with lots of lovely small details - the flags as mudguards, the frog as an ornament, the "ballast" area below the doors - all are excellent. I do agree with previous comments regarding the windshield but it does look like a tricky problem to solve. A couple of other areas to think about for your next truck: I think the roof could have used some tiles or other distractions (lights, horns, antennae etc) to stop it looking so blocky, and (you'll hate me for this :tongue: ) if it was me I couldn't live with the minute overhang that the tiles have over the front grilled area of the truck (I am a perfectionist though!).

The back of the truck is very detailed - the fence pieces are simple yet effective. The 1x2 grills on the back are neat (looks to me as a kind of drainage system - very nice) as are the handle pieces at the very back. My only feedback on the rear of the truck is that is seems quite short for the size of the engine "pulling" it - I know you mentioned you had a scale in mind but that's my take on it.

Overall though you should be very pleased with this! :sweet:

I was photographing some other MOCs, so I thought I'd snap a shot of what it looks like now. Basically the same, except I did what you all suggested in moving the rear wheels together. Also, with some fiddling I was able to fit 3 trees in the bed.

logging_truck_update.jpg