How do you rate this set?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. -----

• 1-Horrible
    • 2-Below Average
    • 3-Average
    • 4-Above Average
    • 5-Great

Although this set is not officially part of the 2009 Pirate line up, it's still an attractive set to Pirate fans. The main feature for this set is the unique minifig. The rest of the set is composed of standard pieces, but for the $13 bucks 150 pieces is a good deal. The set has three main models, but due to the parts it's easy to build plenty of other models. I for one plan to use some of the parts to help mod the other 2009 pirate sets.

Name: Pirate Building set

Theme: Bricks and more

Set Number: 6192

Pieces: 150

Year released: 2009

Minifigures: 1

Price: 12.99CAD, 9.99USD, 6.85GBP

Helpful links:

Shop@Home

Brickset

Box

Front of Box

First up is the front of the box, which shows the main models of the set:

pirate_building_set_003_1_1.jpg

Back of Box

The back of the box showcases some of the alternate models that can be built from the set, which is quite rare nowadays.

pirate_building_set_008_1_1.jpg

Parts Inventory

An index of parts is printed on one side of the box which mimics past creator type sets.

pirate_building_set_004_1_1.jpg

Minifig

Minifig Front Side

I'm actually kind of surprised (in a pleasant way), that Lego went so far as to and include a unique minifigure in a small set. Truth be told, the torso is my favorite Pirate torso to date, it even has a printed backside. The face looks a little to young to be a hardcore pirate, but I guess that's because the set is intended for small children.

Well enough talk here's a picture of the pirate in all his glory:

pirate_building_set_015_trimedit_1.jpg

Pirate Back Side

And here’s a shot of his back. This years pirates seem awfully fond of sashes.

pirate_building_set_044trim_1_1.jpg

Accessories

There aren't many accessories, but it does include 2 swords (one is extra) and three diamonds/clear crystals (whatever you want to call them). Would have been nice to include a pistol since I'm low on them.

pirate_building_set_016_1_1.jpg

Parrot

The pirate also has a nice brick built pet parrot/tropical bird. It’s very nice and colourful to represent the colourful nature of tropical birds. I for one love the cheese slopes being used for wings.

pirate_building_set_047trim_1_1.jpg

The Pirate and his pet

The two together:

pirate_building_set_049trimedit_1_1.jpg

Manual

Manual Sample Page

There’s a small instruction manual included. The front manual picture is the same as the box, but here’s a sample picture from the instructions

pirate_building_set_017_1_1.jpg

Models

Since there are a huge variety of models in the set I'll only show the main ones.

Treasure Chest

First up the brick built treasure chest. Man this thing is big, but it’s no wonder. Holding diamonds that big one would be stupid to put them in only a standard treasure chest. The chest can open and close thanks to a hinge piece, but the diamonds need to be put inside in a certain way so that the chest can fully close.

pirate_building_set_030trim_1_1.jpg

Shark

Next up we get a nice shark, not much else to say, besides it’s brick built and has some nice blue slopes.

pirate_building_set_022trim_1_1.jpg

Front Overview

Lastly the biggest main model the Pirate ship :skull: . This is actually pretty cool in a cartoonish sort of way and this thing can probably be integrated into anyone’s pirate display in some way or another. It’s clear to see that the designers put some effort into this, as it includes almost everything a ship needs: such as a mast, cannons, a plank and a steering wheel. Only thing it’s lacking is a figure head, but I guess that’s what the birds for :devil: .

I'll start off with an overview of the model:

pirate_building_set_037trimedit_1_1.jpg

Mast and Flag

Seems Lego forgot to add a skull onto the sail, good thing it has a nice black flag to warn everyone of the potential threat instead.

pirate_building_set_040edit_1_1.jpg

Interior

Next is a picture of the interior. Did I forget to mention that the mast is on a turntable so it can rotate?

pirate_building_set_039_1_1.jpg

Back Overview

Lastly here is an overview from another angle:

pirate_building_set_043trimedit_1_1.jpg

"Parrot Island"

Since this is technically a creator set to encourage young builders to design models on their own. I figure it wouldn’t be proper for me not to post a picture of a model I made from the left over parts from the main models :oh: .

Taa daa! It's a Parrot Island! (A.K.A. a rock. :blush: ).

pirate_building_set_028trim_1_1.jpg

The Whole set

Finally the whole set together (including a few extra pieces that weren't used):

pirate_building_set_054trimedit_1_1.jpg

Rating Time

Price 10/10 150 pieces including an awesome minifigure is a great deal for 13 dollars today, nothing I can complain about.

Playability 9/10 A nice small pirate ship and treasure which is basically all you'll need to have plenty of fun.

Minifigures 8/10 One minifigure for a $13 dollar set isn’t bad especially considering it has a unique torso and head. However it would have been nice to get a plain bicorne or tricorne to go on the minifig, instead of a printed one, since it doesn’t have as many uses. A pistol would have also been nice, but I can’t take away to many points for minor flaws like those.

Design 9/10 A nice quick and easy build for young fans, plus almost nothing seems overly fragile. Only problems are that the flag falls off often and the chest has trouble closing properly sometimes.

Total 9/10

Overview

6192 is a great overall set, especially for younger builders but it still has plenty of appeal to older fans as well. For such a small set Lego included lot’s of pieces. It also included instructions to build a few solid models, and for the cherry on top it included an exclusive minifig. Overall it’s an excellent set that no Pirate fan should be without. I gave it a 5/5 what about you?

This little set is absolutely great! The pics don't do the new torso proper justice, it's really fantastic with it's golden trims and all the small details.

Great review - it's different from the two other reviews I've seen on here

I also have this set, and I enjoy it very much, especially the colours

The minifig is very very nice indeed

Is that a treasure chest or a clam?

A treasure chest I think. There are images with the gems inside it. But now you say it, it looks like a clam indeed.

I leave it up to your imagination. :pir-tongue:

For me it is an average set which is not bad at all. I think I'm going to buy it sooner or later. I'd be happy to have that unique minifig, and I always need bricks anyway.

I got this set and am very impressed by it, Everyone I showed it to thinks it looks cool. And the torso is wicked :devil:

Yay I'm glad to see plenty of nice comments on this review (my first one BTW).

I think you've convinced me to buy it

Well that's what reviews are for :pir-wink: , it's a good set for any Lego builder so you should be happy with it.

Great review - it's different from the two other reviews I've seen on here

I also have this set, and I enjoy it very much, especially the colours

Really there's already two other reviews, I thought there was only one other. I need to come to the Pirate forum more :pir_wacko: . The bright colours are also one thing that strikes me as really nice they fit into the creator and Pirate themes so well.

I like the color scheme of the "Parrot Island". :pir_laugh2:

Thanks, "Parrot Island" seems to grow on you I just can't play with my Pirates, without "Parrot Island" being somewhere nearby to interfere with my Pirate and Imperial forces.

A treasure chest I think. There are images with the gems inside it. But now you say it, it looks like a clam indeed.

I leave it up to your imagination. :pir-tongue:

It is a treasure chest but it really does look quite a lot like a clam, maybe it some sort of organic artifact crafted by the mermaids.

My girlfriend got me this. I love it just for the pirate torso. I used the parts to make something like a fish shack.

The Pirate torso is defiantly the highlight of the set, but I would also like to see your fish shack if it's not to much trouble have you posted it somewhere?

It's a great little set - and it is revolutionary, because it's the first time Lego has included real minifigs in a set intended for 4+ kids, and not those Jack Stone like, Fabuland or fingerpuppets figures.

Not a bad move, I think - little children love the regular minifis, my kids are only two and they already love changing hats and hairdos.

I think his torso would be good for the New Imperial Navy (as you only get Marines/Infantry) and he looks like he is ex-Navy; probably deserted. You can use the new Givernor torso for Admirals and Commodores and possible Captains and this torse for anything under that (epelettes for Commanders and Lieutenants and no epelettes for the midshipmen and warrant officers...you can distinguish the warrant officers by hats also; top hats for them and that bicorn for the midshipmen).

Thanks for that fine review, MacK. :thumbup:

There´re some nice and useful parts in that set and especially that cool and neat MF´s really great!

I just ordered another three of them. I love them for the minifig and the parts make good for the money.

A well spend order IMO.

Definitly a nice set.

I bought 2, just because i think the torso of the fig is one of the best ever made, only to discover it comes with awesome parts like lime green cheeses as well! :thumbup:

Great review too, thanks!