Sign in to follow this  
Dragonator

Mystery Manor - Chapter Five

chapter_five.jpg

...and the wall begins to swing inwards. Beyond you find a stairwell winding up into darkness. A flash light is conveniently lying on the floor, so Peter picks it up, and the group of detectives (excluding a few who might be in the drinks cabinet) moves up the stairs. You soon reach the next level, where you find something very disturbing.

p1060724.jpg

It appears that you have found Lord Chester, and not in a good way. He is most certainly dead. The stairs continue beyond a large, black, wrought-iron gate (stairs not pictured) and in the wall to the right is a wooden door. On either side are two metal sconce's.

p1060726.jpg

Remember that to win the game you must answer the following four questions:

WHO committed the crime?

WHERE was the crime committed (which room)?

WHAT was the murder weapon?

WHY was he killed (motive)?

There is also the optional challenge of piecing together the events of the previous night. Try to find out as much detail as possible.

For the full list of rules, please click on the picture at the top of the page or follow this link.

Participants:

1. ImperialShadows - Peter Crawford; Lawyer

2. Sandy - Susan Greenwood; Receptionist

3. WhiteFang - Dr. Phillip Marshall; General Practitioner

4. Hinckley - Max Sinclair; Actor

5. Sir Dillon - Michael Dunne; CEO of Brick Plates

6. jipay - Bernard Knightly; President of the DHPT

7. ImperialScouts - Lieutenant John Spencer; Soldier

8. Sir Nadroj - Dermot Stephens; University Student

9. Mr. Mandalorian - Dr. Gregory Grimsworth; University Professor

10. TheBrickster - Anthony Blackwater; Private Detective - Deceased; Death by Chandelier

11. Erdbeereis1 - Chef Frederick Valentine; Chef

I'd like to check Lord Chester's vitals.

*waits until Max is just about to touch Chester's obviously dead hand and gives him a wet willy, causing him to scream like a little girl*

I'd like to just stand here and laugh, thanks. Then maybe we can move the body, disturb the scene and do any number of other things to completely compromise the possibility of collecting forensic evidence. :hmpf_bad:

Ooh, how creepy! How long has this body been rotting here without us knowing?

I'd like to try to open the door (which undoubtedly leads back to the ballroom), and pull the sconces.

While debate is going on as to whether they should turn over the body, Miss Sany walks over to the wooden door and takes a look. The door is unlocked, and peering through the grill you find that you are looking into a bedroom from between two books. Evidentially this door is actually hidden behind a bookcase in the other room.

Max looks at the body, but cannot see any obvious cause of death without touching it, which Peter objects to.

Perhaps we need to turn it over to see anything useful?

Max looks at the body, but cannot see any obvious cause of death without touching it, which Peter objects to.

No, I gave him a wet willy. Get it right, dragon breath. Then I objected to molesting the body.

Perhaps we need to turn it over to see anything useful?

Yes, of course, that's just the way to do it. Why don't we drag him to the ballroom, prop him up in a chair and see if we can get him to talk, too? :hmpf:

Might as well turn him over, Max. This Dragon chap (why are we listening to a dragon chap?) seems to want us to flip Chester, and we all know that he's already fully aware of what killed him, so I guess there's no harm done.

...and we all know that he's already fully aware of what killed him, so I guess there's no harm done.

Me? I don't know what you're talking about. :grin:

It is agreed between Max and Peter, who don't really care what anyone else thinks, to flip the body. Max carefully roles his Lordship over, lying him down on his back. His face expresses a look of panic, and there is a large puncture wound through his torso.

Perhaps our doctor could give us a diagnoses?

It is agreed between Max and Peter, who don't really care what anyone else thinks, to flip the body. Max carefully roles his Lordship over, lying him down on his back. His face expresses a look of panic, and there is a large puncture wound through his torso.

Perhaps our doctor could give us a diagnoses?

Step aside everyone! Let me take a closer look at his wound and examine it for awhile...

Judging from the seriousness of the wound, it was made by a very sharp object, striking right below his heart slightly... which was one of our vital parts in our body. It seemed that the assailant was aiming to give him one strike with a finish. A very brutal way of finishing and I strongly feel that he died of bleeding from this wound... But where are all of his blood... Someone must have wiped it away... OR this could not be the place where the murder has taken place...

Everyone, look at his awful expression of fear.... I deduct that he might have been ambushed from behind... It was real quick and sudden... Someone whom Lord Chester trusts... and unexpectedly, he was murdered without hesistation from the back. It's very unfortunate....

Judging from the seriousness of the wound, it was made by a very sharp object, striking right below his heart slightly... which was one of our vital parts in our body.

Someone gave love a bad name.

It seemed that the assailant was aiming to give him one strike with a finish.

Are you sure it wasn't another chandelier? :grin:

A very brutal way of finishing and I strongly feel that he died of bleeding from this wound... But where are all of his blood... Someone must have wiped it away... OR this could not be the place where the murder has taken place...

Or a vampire came along after and found a tasty bit. Did you check the neck for puncture marks? :skull:

Everyone, look at his awful expression of fear.... I deduct that he might have been ambushed from behind... It was real quick and sudden... Someone whom Lord Chester trusts... and unexpectedly, he was murdered without hesistation from the back. It's very unfortunate....

The back, eh? Now I don't want to get picky here, but if he's lying facedown and we can't see the wound, forcing us to turn him over, doesn't that mean that the wound, and therefore the attack, are frontal? Further, if you are struck from behind, "ambushed" as you called it, you wouldn't necessarily know it was happening quickly enough to have an expression indicating fear.

Clearly, this man was attacked from the front and we have no way to determine if he knew the assailant or not, only that they had enough knowledge of the house to get in here without having to solve a pile of damn word puzzles and search for hidden bits of key. That indicates a knowledge of the house, not necessarily of him. Further, they had time to move the body, dispose of the weapon and escape into the night (no one kills anyone in the afternoon, it's just common knowledge).

*whispers to Max and John* Did we ever determine exactly what kind of doctor he is? :hmpf_bad:

Are you sure it wasn't another chandelier? :grin:

Yes, it is not! :hmpf:

Or a vampire came along after and found a tasty bit. Did you check the neck for puncture marks? :skull:

You and your bedtime stories. :laugh: There are no other visible marks. The large puncture wound at the front of his body is the lethal mark and that particular sharp object is what causes its death..

The back, eh? Now I don't want to get picky here, but if he's lying facedown and we can't see the wound, forcing us to turn him over, doesn't that mean that the wound, and therefore the attack, are frontal? Further, if you are struck from behind, "ambushed" as you called it, you wouldn't necessarily know it was happening quickly enough to have an expression indicating fear.

Clearly, this man was attacked from the front and we have no way to determine if he knew the assailant or not, only that they had enough knowledge of the house to get in here without having to solve a pile of damn word puzzles and search for hidden bits of key. That indicates a knowledge of the house, not necessarily of him. Further, they had time to move the body, dispose of the weapon and escape into the night (no one kills anyone in the afternoon, it's just common knowledge).

How observant, Mr Crawford. Lawyers are always so particular about others' statements... Are you trying to contradict my words? If so, I must admit that you have state the conclusion at a right manner and added more beef into your content. :blush:

Personally, I feel it could be an up close and personal attack. Look at his facial expression, there are fear written all over his eyelids.. Now, if it is possible to take a closer look at his eyes, perhaps we could find additional clues in it. Well, I don't think we can do this without my equipment.

Damn, my map is all wrong again! Well, at least there's a new room we can go to.

I'd still like to pull those sconces beside the door, though.

... Oh, and of course there's no blood here if he was murdered in another room.

I'd like to try the metal gates, to see if they're unlocked. ... do we have any unused keys at the moment?

I would also like to search Chester's person for clues.

No mention of blood on the floor, but what about on his clothing?

And I would like to examine every inch of the floor for any small objects or pieces of paper.

Clearly he was attacked from the front as pointed out by Peter. Not to mention the look of fear indicates he saw something scary before he was killed. I'm no doctor, but I don't think you can see something behind you. Assuming one of us was the killer, and I think it was this Dragon guy, perhaps one of us knows how to morph into a monster and has long sharp nails. That would be scary and pokey. Maybe it was a dragon! *eyes Dragonator suspiciously* Anyway, I have a feeling this doctor is a quack or a guilty.

Miss Sandy, after looking at the door, pulls on the two sconce's. Nothing happens...

Michael walks over to the gates and tries them. There is a large iron padlock holding them both closed. Michael then walks over to the body and searches it. His vest has two pockets, the right one holds a gold pocket watch, the other contains a small keyring with a long thin key on it and a small fat one.

John notes that there is dried blood on the body's shirt. Searching the floor does not reveal anything.

Let's examine that pocket watch closer. I bet there's some sort of screwy puzzle on it. :hmpf:

Oh, more keys!

I'd like to test out the big black key we have from earlier as well as the two new ones to the gate.

Max examines the pocket watch. It is gold plated on the outside with a silver rim, and a scroll pattern surrounding the edges. There is a dent in the side and when opened (with some difficulty), you find that the glass is also cracked. The time on the watch is stopped at 13 minutes to 11 o'clock.

Miss Sandy asks Peter to try his large black key in the lock. Before this however she tries the two new keys. They are both too slim. The large chunky black key which Peter found in the draw, however, fits the padlock perfectly, and turning the key the padlock comes open with a sharp click. The gates swing slowly inwards, creaking ominously. Beyond the stairs lead up further into the house.

Up those stairs is the attic, or so I believe. Probably not much to see up there... :grin:

Up those stairs is the attic, or so I believe. Probably not much to see up there... :grin:

Right. Sounds like the perfect place to go, as soon as I check Chester's hands. A victim will often attempt to grab their assailant and sometimes in that last moment, they manage to secure something that could be helpful to later investigators. A dying clue, so to speak.

*leans in close to the body and tries to open Chester's clenched hands*

Peter examines the victims hands. There is nothing clenched in them, however you do note that there a a couple of small splinters beneath the fingernails of both hands.

I dare somebody to push him over on top of the body. :laugh:

Hmmm... clawing at something wooden, was he? Interesting. Let's keep our eyes open for marks on the walls and floors.

I dare somebody to push him over on top of the body. :laugh:

You think it would be the first time I'd been on top of a dead body? :devil:

To the attic!

I would like to take his shoes off and see if there is anything hidden in them.

Why don't we just strip him completely and check every crevice. We could also burn him and put the ashes in some sort of chemical solution to see if he was poisoned or something.

But seriously, I'd like to check to see if he's wearing a wig because that would be hilarious. But, I bet there's a puzzle beneath it. :hmpf:

Why don't we just strip him completely and check every crevice. We could also burn him and put the ashes in some sort of chemical solution to see if he was poisoned or something.

But seriously, I'd like to check to see if he's wearing a wig because that would be hilarious. But, I bet there's a puzzle beneath it. :hmpf:

Or rather a tattooed puzzle on his head :tongue:

Or rather a tattooed puzzle on his head :tongue:

I would like to draw on Lord Chester's face. Maybe some cat whiskers, a mustache and the word "Dork."