drdavewatford

UCS discussion

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Looking on the UK Lego online store under the "Ultimate Collector Series" tab, Grievous, AT-ST and Sandcrawler have all been heavily discounted and are now showing as "Out of stock", suggesting that they are to be retired.

This only leaves 3 UCS sets currently available - Death Star, Falcon and AT-AT.

Aside from the question of whether the Death Star is even a UCS set at all, 3 UCS sets seems light, so I'm wondering whether Lego have any new UCS sets in the works ? Will the upcoming Venator be a UCS set (probably not if it comes with minifigs).

Also, what UCS sets would people like to see ?

I'll open the voting with a request for a huge Super Star Destroyer.

Dr. D.

Will the upcoming Venator be a UCS set (probably not if it comes with minifigs).

The three UCS sets you have mentioned also come with minifigs.

UCS or Ultimate Collector Series is for Ultimate Collectors: people with lots of money (not normally kids) to spend on LEGO that are £100 +. I don't think the fact minifigs are or aren't included is relevant.

the millenium falcon(the giant one)is a UCS

and there are minifigs with that set :sadnew:

And? It's "to scale", which I think is awesome considering LEGO's minifig-to-vehicle scale often seems completely disproportionate.

The three UCS sets you have mentioned also come with minifigs.

UCS or Ultimate Collector Series is for Ultimate Collectors: people with lots of money (not normally kids) to spend on LEGO that are £100 +. I don't think the fact minifigs are or aren't included is relevant.

You're right - fair point.

Doesn't change the fact that there aren't many UCS sets available right now, however - come on Lego, give us a huge new set to look forward to !

Dr. D.

Maybe it is just me but I'd like to see more stuff that isn't some kind of vehicle. I detested the GG set but I think it was a step in the right direction. Maybe more character sets like that or a huge 3d wall mural? Maybe showing different scenes like the deathstar but flat-ish so it can hang on the wall. Like maybe all different scenes from the clone wars.

There's a topic on the rumored sets and there's no UCS for now - at least not that we know of.

There's also a topic on which sets you'd like to see in the future.

Thus this is a double copy topic and I'll close it.

Check the pinned "Star Wars Forum Index" on where to discuss.

Ooops, missed the ongoing discussion.

If you keep to discussing what a UCS set is and UCS sets in general, then this is ok with me.

If this turns into a discussion on what you'd like, then there's a topic for that.

In my opinion, UCS sets are numbered within the 10000's.

Yes the Death Star is a UCS set.

It's made for Ultimate Collectors.

UCS doesn't neccesarily mean that the set is a huge model like the Millenium Falcon or the ISD.

I missed out on the ISD UCS set. Makes me :cry_sad:

Sets I would like to be made.

Rogue Shadow. (I hate the reg verison but if this was made in UCS I think would rock).

Slave 1

Lucrehulk-class battleship

Alpha-3 Nimbus-class V-wing starfighter

Azure Angel

Hammerhead-class cruiser

RZ-1 A-wing interceptor

Aggressive ReConnaissance-170 starfighter ( this would be awesome. Just like the UCS xwing)

Yes the Death Star is a UCS set.

I just built Death Star I and don't recall seeing the UCS branding anywhere on the packaging at all, in contrast to for example the Star Destroyer which has the UCS branding all over the box.

I think the Lego company just make it up as they go along, although maybe that's blasphemy on these forums !

Awesome sets, though (apart from the Yoda and Maul sets which are a bit odd) - if only I could get the Blockade Runner for less than 400 pounds sterling I'd be a happy man.

Dr. D.

I think this year, we will get like every time 2 UCS sets:

-one is the one from the Fan Choise, I think it will be an 'Tantive IV' playset...

-the other one is again a statue or ship, for our AFOL. Possible could be an X-Wing...

Greetings 'Bricks'

*revives*

Well, there's been some discussion in the 2009 set thread on whether or not the new AT-OT and Gunship is a UCS set. Well, it's not. The "10000" series isn't strictly UCS, but for LEGO exclusives. Examples of this would range between 10193 Green Grocer, 10179 UCS Falcon, all the way down to 10200 Custom Car Garage, which I wouldn't exactly classify as UCS, right?

But then again, it's in the Ultimate Collectors Series section of the SW part of S@H... so I guess that renders everything else I've said invalid. :wacko:

Pay heavy attention to the words involved in UCS. Ultimate COLLECTOR'S series. Sets in the UCS range are meant to be huge, pricey and very, VERY complicated to build. They are meant, as the name would state, for ultimate collectors. I doubt any child or 'casual' lego collector would be able to afford the new UCS (AT-OT and Drop ship), let alone the paitence to build it! When i was building the republic dropship, my little cousins were over (10 and 12), and while they are HUGE lego fans, they quickly grew bored and tireless of the endless sorting, and left me alone to build their own random stuff before i even got to page one on the manual :P.

The Death Star, in my opinon, is the greatest UCS ever made, not only is it a star wars fan's wet dream, highlighting EVERY important scene that happened in the death start in detail, but it is also a lego fan's ultimate creation. Every little play feature, or cleverly arranged series of bricks is a marvel of lego engineering, from amazing things like the elevator down the middle to something as simple as the way the bricks are overlaid to make sure the foundation is sturdy as a rock.

So yes, the new AT-OT + Dropship is most definatley a UCS, since 99% of the people who will buy it will be either ultimate star wars, or ultimate lego collectors.

PS: IMO, i prefer the UCS's with play features and minifigures compared to the immaculately detailed models (with the millennium falcon blurring the lines between the two)

So the AT-OT with dropship is a UCS set?

The howcome it doesn't have the UCS box design:

10179-1.jpg

So the UCS sets are meant to be large and difficult builds, then how about this one?:

10026-1.jpg

So all UCS are to be numbered within the 10000's?

Then how to explain these:

7191-1.jpg

7181-1.jpg

For me there's exclusives, legends, UCS and much more within the 10000's numbers.

For a set to be UCS, then the box has to state that it is a UCS set.

Hi

i would like them to do the following as UCS sets..

Queen Amidala´s starship PM

Ewok City ROTJ

Vader´s arrival at the death star ANH

A Complete cloud city as seen in ESB

Anakin vs Kenobi final duel CW

Droid factory

Just my ideas

Henrik

So the AT-OT with dropship is a UCS set?

The howcome it doesn't have the UCS box design:

10179-1.jpg

So the UCS sets are meant to be large and difficult builds, then how about this one?:

10026-1.jpg

So all UCS are to be numbered within the 10000's?

Then how to explain these:

7191-1.jpg

7181-1.jpg

For me there's exclusives, legends, UCS and much more within the 10000's numbers.

For a set to be UCS, then the box has to state that it is a UCS set.

Maybe because they havent shown the final box, it may not say its UCS, but its under UCS so must be a UCS set.

I believe those 3 were removed to make way for new ones, i believe the Mon Calamari hanger will be UCS.

I think 10,000 is only for limited editions, otherwise if something is only made to 10,000 units, then the chrome Darth Vader must be a UCS.

I would like to see a UCS rouge shadow too, one with Proxy and Kota, maybe a holocron Kento.

Just thought of 2 that could only been done well as UCS, Dooku's ships, the invisible hand, and the malevolence.

As mentioned, the DS doesn't come in the UCS design box, but is most certainly a UCS set. I guess we will simply have to go with 'whatever is listed on the LEGO.com website as a UCS, is a UCS', since lego seem to change their minds about what a UCS is almost every time a new one is released...

I still stand by my belief that the only people who buy UCS are ULTIMATE COLLECTORS (of either star wars or lego)

To be consider a true UCS set for me, it has to be an ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S model that the mini-figure scale sets just don't offer. Tons of detail on the exterior, doesn't need a fancy interior with play features, focuses on being built to display, and most important comes with the tell-tale UCS plague. With that said, I don't consider the Death Star playset or the Sandcrawler true UCS sets, even though they are pricey they still have playset features that are geared towards kids.

Edited by OptimusPrime12380

OK lets see, Many people have many opinions on this but here's my veiw:

UCS sets:

Are BIG.

Are Expencive.

Are Detailed.

Are Iconic Ships

Have a Display Plaque (OR they are a statue type thing)

Having a Display Plaque is the main part for me.

Here's the list of sets i would say are UCS

7181: TIE Interceptor

7191: X-wing Fighter

7194: Yoda

10018: Darth Maul

10019: Rebel Blockade Runner

10026: Special Edition Naboo Starfighter

10030: Imperial Star Destroyer

10129: Rebel Snowspeeder

10134: Y-wing Attack Starfighter

10143: Death Star II

10174: Imperial AT-ST

10175: Vader's TIE Advanced

10179: Ultimate Collector's Millennium Falcon

10186: General Grievous

And i have Brickset on my side! :tongue:

That's right, Not:

Sandcrawler

Death Star

Cloud City

Etc.

I completely agree with legoman on this! :thumbup: Even though Yoda and Maul didn't have a plaque, they were obviously UCS sets too. Anything legoman didn't list is just an exclusive.

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

I completely agree with legoman on this! :thumbup: Even though Yoda and Maul didn't have a plaque, they were obviously UCS sets too. Anything legoman didn't list is just an exclusive.

Some sets aren't even exclusive!

EG the Sandcrawler... I have no idea how anyone ever desided THAT was UCS :hmpf_bad:

Don't get me wrong, i have and love my sandcrawler... I just wouldn't call it UCS, Just 'classic' :classic:

Exactly. :thumbup: The AT-OT may be big and expensive, but it's basically the AT-TE and the Gunship put together, and we wouldn't qualify those as UCS.

Besides, I don't think I could ever classify anything as UCS with Flick-Fire missiles. :wacko: