Ricecracker

Foot to Brick conversion

indexed.gif

Does any one have an approximate Foot to Brick conversion that they use? I know that there isn't any exact ones, but any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

-Riecracker

Also, if this is in the wrong forum, I'm very sorry.

Edited by KimT

LEGO minifigures suffer from big head syndrome. In fact, their proportioned well for something closer to a midget or dwarf. As such measurments in LEGO are rarely very accurate in replica models. This is one of the reasons LEGO uses miniland scale at the theme parks.

If you want a general number I alway go by fig foot width/length = one foot.

In the end, it is still just a toy you can use how you want. As long as you think it looks good and you give your MOCs some effort you can enjoy your builds without any problems. In fact, many truly great MOCs involve exageratted sizes or caricatures of actual real life stuff. It is the same principle people use cartoons or anime to great effect. It can give your building style and uniqueness.

LEGO minifigures suffer from big head syndrome. In fact, their proportioned well for something closer to a midget or dwarf. As such measurments in LEGO are rarely very accurate in replica models. This is one of the reasons LEGO uses miniland scale at the theme parks.

If you want a general number I alway go by fig foot width/length = one foot.

In the end, it is still just a toy you can use how you want. As long as you think it looks good and you give your MOCs some effort you can enjoy your builds without any problems. In fact, many truly great MOCs involve exageratted sizes or caricatures of actual real life stuff. It is the same principle people use cartoons or anime to great effect. It can give your building style and uniqueness.

Thanks! So basically, you use 1 stud = 1 foot. And if MFs are dwarves, what are LEGO dwarves :grin:?

As was mentioned, the LEGO minifig is too anatomically incorrect for a proper comparison, but I've had good results using the length of a brick as a foot. Doors and minifigs are a touch short, that's just the way LEGO is.

I was working for a company that did affordable housing, and I, I used the elevation drawings to make a one-brick-to-one-foot model of a house that was being considered, and it ended up being quite close to the architectural drawings.

I am very sorry not to remember which website provided this ruler. Hopefully soon someone will give them the rightful credit.

Legonian_Ruler.pdf

Edited by Marko

Well, not really in foot, since in Italy we use the metrical system, but I always considered a 5 bricks height (= a normal door) as 2 meters (the normal MF with old male hair piece would then be around 1.70-1.80 meters).

LuxorV

Well, not really in foot, since in Italy we use the metrical system, but I always considered a 5 bricks height (= a normal door) as 2 meters (the normal MF with old male hair piece would then be around 1.70-1.80 meters).

LuxorV

I use the metric system as well, but I'm trying to make a U-haul truck that has dimensions in feet.

A minifigure is 4 bricks high (without headgear). Let's call a height of a brick "BH".

Now BH is related to knob distance KD by this equation:

5*BH = 6*KD

Let's say we suppose a minifigure is 1,7 meter high (5,57 feet, as 1 meter = 3,28 feet).

That means that distance between knobs "KD" is:

KD = 5/6 * 1,7 / 4 = 0,35 meters (1,16 feet)

Front

Depending on what I'm making, I generally try to make it roughly 1.5 studs = 1 foot, or somewhere in that range.

Since I mainly use CAD these days I use 1 LDraw unit = 1 inch. Thus a 1x1 brick is one foot high and 10 inches wide.