Sign in to follow this  
Sting

Lego Archives

I wonder if lego has all the instructions and inventory to there sets somewhere so if they choose to release a random set, they can do it with ease... I also wonder if there 'brickmachines' have the molds to all the old pieces they may have discontinued... Does anyone know? I mean, I'm assuming they do but any other info would be nice...

Also, I have heard of a room at Lego HQ where they have one of each System set ever created... any truth to this?

Actually, I believe it's 5 of every set ever made. For copyright battle purposes, if necessary.

Cheers.

Gyl

I want to visit this place...

So does this mean that if lego ever gets its senses back, they can easily start crankin out some old sets again?

I want to visit this place...

So does this mean that if lego ever gets its senses back, they can easily start crankin out some old sets again?

Sure >_>

they've got this:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=81621

i guess they have instructions, boxes and the real sets for a majority (or all) of the stuff they've produced thru out the years

i don't know if the molds and the machines are at one piece. Perhaps they can replace the mold by another... i don't know how that works, but they clearly have a large collection of molds standing by, in case they would want to use one of those. Sometimes you see parts appearing they haven't produced in years, like the technic link in the wookie attack and sandcrawler...

rereleasing old sets is an entirely different question. First, they've replaced some colors. it's highly unlikely that they can reproduce the galaxy explorer, for instance, because of the old grey. some of the machines/molds may have already been written off as well... i believe there was a problem with one of the legends about not having the right part/mold any more...

And then there's the problem of costs. i don't know how expensive it is to bring old molds into the system again. Perhaps not all the machines/molds are compatible...

Oh dear jesus...

I would love to go to that room and be able to grab one of each set... :oD

Im not one of those people that wants all the old lego to come back... I would love to see a totally new Pirates/Castle/Town Line with the same quality and piece-counts as the old ones... thats the most important thing...

lol hobbes, well I went on the insiders tour and we got to see this! they have at least three of every set and they organize them by years example-1995-2000. It was awsome!

But to answer your question sting, they could remake some old sets using the instructions but TLC has resycled alot of molds for pieces in the older sets so it is pretty much impossible unless they remake the molds.

Does anybody have an idea on how large this storage area is? I mean, each year there are new sets, and doesn't each year they put more sets into the vault?

How is the security like there? It seems like you could take photographs, so I guess it is not that resricting...

Does anybody have an idea on how large this storage area is? I mean, each year there are new sets, and doesn't each year they put more sets into the vault?

How is the security like there? It seems like you could take photographs, so I guess it is not that resricting...

They'd never notice you walking out with a huge stack of sets if that's what you mean :-D

God Bless,

Nathan

Here are a few links to Brickshelf accounts and other sites with photos from the Lego Archives.

JanK: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=97505

thumat- factory tour: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=132771

Jan-Albert van Ree: http://www.vanree.net/fotoalbum/javanree/l...und_march_2004/

Unknown - http://www.vanree.net/fotoalbum/kmeijaard/...illund_archive/

All of these galleries are really enjoyable to browse.

-- Bryan

All of these galleries are really enjoyable to browse.

-- Bryan

... and by enjoyable do you mean "painful and agonizing"? :'(

Because seeing so many amazing sets... in MISB... and perfect condition... makes me... want to... die... (or go back in time!)(or become really rich.)

Seeing a few of the castle minifig packs up close, open, showing the sealed bags with brand new fresh pieces in them... that nearly killed me...

Do they let people just walk around and touch them?

no, it is not open to the public, and anyways the security is very high. It is inside the hotel past a locked door down a hall through another locked door down some stairs through ANOTHER locked door in to a big room then you go in another locked door to the archive... ya. lol it was amazeing!

Ive been inside when I was on the Inside Tour. Its fantastic. Thats where I got my sights on getting the airport monorail....a week later

I had bought it of eBay!

They have 3 of each set for copyright reasons. Most of the sets had never been seen by the public before!

Did you know in the old days Lego produced duplo kids tablets (drugs in america). They were shaped like Lego bricks!

Anyway.....Ive been 'inside'.....

Anyway.....Ive been 'inside'.....

I'm saving that great experience for when I own Lego, and it's all mine...

Youu're all invited, will have a build-a-thon!

God Bless,

Nathan