16 members have voted

1. 1. Vote your opinion

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

Hi. I'm new here, and this is my first review. My image quality is not as hot as some others' are, but please try and forgive me.

7139 Ewok Attack

Year of Release: 2002

Price at the Time: USD $12.99

Pieces: 119

Minifigures: 4

First off, we have the INSTRUCTIONS, which show the 2002 box design.

instructions.jpg

An inside shot of the instructions (the picture makes the speeder look a little red, but it is brown in person)

random_page.jpg

Now the MINIFIGURES. The two ewoks were new with this set. Both are OK, but giving the tan one a brown body is a bit strange and doesn't look great. Some paint on the mold (as will hopefully be in the upcoming Endor set :classic: ) would have been better. This was the third set to contain a stormtrooper (others were 7146 Tie Fighter and 7201 Final Duel II). The scouttrooper appeared before this set in the original Speeder Bike set and one of the minifigures-on-stands set. The Imperials look good, but the new dotted-mouth stormie looks better to me.

minifigures2.jpg

Here are the Imps with their hats off. I love the printing on the Scout's head, much better than a black head would have been. Solid yellow for stormie.

hats_off.jpg

Now we continue on to the SET itself. There are three different components (close-ups and thoughts to follow), which keep the build fun and interesting.

ewok_attack.jpg

Speeder The same speeder that came in dark red in the original AT-TE and in white in the AT-AT. It's bulkier than the original design from 2000, and I remember that it was harder to have the Scout hold the handles on this one than it was on the other. The Scout here is not holding on because his arms are so cracked. He's got a megaphone without orange tip to shoot people with (it's on the other side of the speeder).

speeder.jpg

Catapult Here's Mr. Tan Yub with his trusty bow and catapult to annoy the Imperials! It comes with two of those gray "rocks." I'm not sure what those things are at the other end, but they spin, so it's fun. The plants are a nice touch.

catapult.jpg

Glider This is the only failing part of this set, as I will explain over the next three pictures.

(pardon the blur)

glider2.jpg

The glider is just too darn bulky. The ewok, which should be attached right to the wings, hangs far below them. If you pick up the glider and turn it, the ewok turns too!

flying_yub.jpg

Lastly, LEGO threw on this thing, which is supposed to be a rock dropping device. By "device" I mean a holder that if you turn the glider over, the gray rock will fall out. I know it's supposed to be for playability, but it really isn't very playable.

rock.jpg

Well, since I'm all out of pictures, it's time to wrap things up.

Overall, the set is quite nice. While quick, the build doesn't get old because of the three totally different components. It was nice to have a set without any main characters, you could stock up on this set and have a great Endor battle. Besides the glider, everything else works well: the catapult fires ok, the speeder is certainly swooshable, and you can bang the ewok and stormtrooper together with your little kid hands for lots of fun :tongue: (or set up a nice ground infantry).

I'm grading this from a perspective from 2002

Price: 9/10 - pretty good price per parts ratio

Minifigures: 9/10 - only because the ewoks are just ok, but they were new, and so were cool.

Build: 10/10 - it's not a huge set, but the build certainly fluctuates

Overall: 9.3/10 - according to a calculated average

I hope you enjoyed my review. If I forgot anything, or you have any picture requests, just say so and I'll do my best.

I've got a bunch more 2000-2002 sets just waiting to be review, so if this review is ok, I'll do some more soon.

Edited by KimT
poll added

Ah, this does bring back memories. Even though I don't own this set, I have all the minifigs that come with this set. I think the best part about this set are the ewoks that come with it. Very nice review you have here.

Possible Improvements

1) I noticed that you do not have such a good backdrop. I would take some new pictures with a cleaner, better looking backdrop.

LegoKing

The original couple of sets with stormies from 1999 or 2000 had yellow heads. Then there were a few with blank flesh heads, and then they started having black heads, so far as I know.

Nice review, thanks. :thumbup:

A good opportunity for me to look up the set again and go back to the good ol' days. :laugh: I think I will put it in a diorama to give it some body.

Thank you for reviewing this great set.

I had a lot of fun playing with this one and was definitly a buy multiple set (but I was too young to imagine buying more than once the same set). It was rather cheap when compared with today's battle packs.

I am looking forward to getting next summer Battle of Endor set so I can put these est together to represent a good Battle of Endor scene.

I don't like Lego Ewoks. I think they could make hoods for them rather than single color face and hoods. Oh well.

Thanks for the review, the other pieces look good.

When this came out it was officially my favourite set and I spent ages staring at pics of it in my Lego catalogue but alas I never got around to buying it as eBay was incredibly expensive...

I'm also not going to even consider buying it anymore as although it is a classic, all of the figs are outdated now as the stormtrooper design has changed, Ewoks are soon to be printed and I think the new Scouties will have plain black heads (or I hope).

Thanks for reviewing this good ol' classic Star Wars set.

I'll add it to the index within the next few days.

I bought me 2 of these back in the days, sadly I put one of them on "display" in my windowshelf.

So now 2 of my Scout Troopers are very very yellow.

Good thing that the Endor Base is coming out, so that I can restock.

Thanks for reviewing this good ol' classic Star Wars set.

I'll add it to the index within the next few days.

I bought me 2 of these back in the days, sadly I put one of them on "display" in my windowshelf.

So now 2 of my Scout Troopers are very very yellow.

Good thing that the Endor Base is coming out, so that I can restock.

Yeah, I also bought two. Man I hate it when white Legos turn yellow just like my shuttle. Oh no my gunship!

Thanks for reviewing this set for us.

I've added it to the index.

Some of your pics are a little yellow, but they'll do just fine since they're sharp.

You might consider the Reviewers Academy to polish your photo and reviewing skills :thumbup: