Mariann Asanuma

Afro American Cultural Center

indexed.gif B-OV-8C

Hi all! :sweet: Here's my newest model.

3211176297_5965188383_o.jpg

Pride Communications asked me to make this replica of the Afro-American Cultural Center in Charlotte, North Carolina for the Lowes Pride Awards that was held Jan. 17th.

This model took me 2 and a half weeks to make (about 100 hours). As for size, it is 2 feet wide (62 cm), 42" long (106 cm), and about 2 feet tall (62cm). I was a fun and interesting challenge to get all of the details right.

3211176239_168212fb9d_o.jpg

Here's a picture of the actual building so that you can compare them.

3211283817_768c220ed6_o.jpg

I have more photos on Flickr and on MOCpages. I also talk more about it on my blog.

Hope you like it, enjoy. :wink:

Edited by Phred

This is amazing! Thanks for sharing it with us. I believe it belongs in Trains & Town forum, so I'll move it there. Beautiful work! :sweet:

Dear Mariann Asanuma,

that is a nice MOC! I especially like the windows. :thumbup:

During the building process, did you consider using another color such as, sand red, dark red or (b)rown for the walls?

Or a combination of those colors and maybe some plates to represent the masonry?

Kind regards,

Teddy

Well dome Mariann :thumbup:! Very true to the original. It´s nice when real buildings etc gets done and especially when they´re for a special purpose!

I also think the windows looks real good. Did you scetch it out before building, or just free-brick it? Keep´em coming :classic:!

CopMike

Dear Mariann Asanuma,

that is a nice MOC! I especially like the windows. :thumbup:

During the building process, did you consider using another color such as, sand red, dark red or (b)rown for the walls?

Or a combination of those colors and maybe some plates to represent the masonry?

Kind regards,

Teddy

Thanks for the compliment guys. As for your question Teddy, I had thought about adding some new brown for accent, but I didn't really have the time or the parts for this model. Although it would have been nice to be in sand red, when the model is 42 inches long and two feet tall, its a little hard to get that much together. I only had 2 and a half weeks to design and build it and that includes getting all the bricks for the project. Also, I didn't keep this model, it was given to the Afro-American Cultural Center.

Well dome Mariann :thumbup:! Very true to the original. It´s nice when real buildings etc gets done and especially when they´re for a special purpose!

I also think the windows looks real good. Did you sketch it out before building, or just free-brick it? Keep´em coming :classic:!

CopMike

Thanks CopMike. I did sketch out the building on Brick Paper before building. I did this to determine the scale and size I would build in. I also did it so that I wouldn't spend as much time building unnecessary prototypes. As for all the details (windows, doors, etc.) I mostly made a single prototype and then planned out for multiples on the actual building.

When I get a chance I'll add some pictures of the building process so that you can see what I mean.

A charming work and a very good and actual rendition of the original, you´re indeed a crafted and fast worker in bricks, impressive.... :thumbup:

Hi all! :sweet: Here's my newest model.

3211176297_5965188383_o.jpg

Pride Communications asked me to make this replica of the Afro-American Cultural Center in Charlotte, North Carolina for the Lowes Pride Awards that was held Jan. 17th.

This model took me 2 and a half weeks to make (about 100 hours). As for size, it is 2 feet wide (62 cm), 42" long (106 cm), and about 2 feet tall (62cm). I was a fun and interesting challenge to get all of the details right.

3211176239_168212fb9d_o.jpg

Here's a picture of the actual building so that you can compare them.

3211283817_768c220ed6_o.jpg

I have more photos on Flickr and on MOCpages. I also talk more about it on my blog.

Hope you like it, enjoy. :wink:

It is so smart!!! Well done!

Well done Mariann! This is a faithful recreation of the Afro-American Cultural Center. 2+ 1/2 is a quick turn around time for a project of this magnitude, good thing it will put food on the table for you :wink:

I look forward to future constructions.

benny, when you quote some one else its a good idea to delete the pictures from the other persons post :wink: