89 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale from 1 to 5:

• 1) Poor
    • 2) Below Average
    • 3) Average
    • 4) Above Average
    • 5) Excellent

indexed.gif

The Separatist army attacks in their Armored Assault Tank, crushing anything in their path... That is, until a certain green dwarf uses his power to fight back.

Let's join the fierce battle!

8018 AAT (Armored Assault Tank)

8018-1.jpg

Set Info:

Name: 8018 AAT

Theme: Star Wars - Clone Wars

Released: 2009

Pieces: 407

Minifigs: 7

Price: 50 USD - 39 GBP - 50 EUR

LEGO S@H

Brickset

Bricklink

Some more information:

This set was also released in 2000, but in an episode I version. Episode I AAT on Brickset.

Now, let's begin.

First, the box

On the front of the box is a little battle scene, but Yoda seems to hav his mind on something else... :tongue:

aat.jpg

The back, as usual depicts some of the sets features like the ever-popular flick-fire missiles, and some other '09 Star Wars sets.

aat_001.jpg

Instructions and Sticker Sheet

Nothing out of the ordinary here.

aat_011.jpg

Random manual shot.

aat_012.jpg

Inventory.

aat_013.jpg

I thought that these "posters" looked very nice.

aat_014.jpg

The Parts

No numbered bags, the same as most Star Wars sets. I always find it odd that Star Wars sets never have numbered bags, while most other sets, even if they're small, don't.

aat_002.jpg

All spread out. The set comes with a lot of blue, both dark and normal, plus bley and dark bley.

aat_003.jpg

Dark blue is a wonderful color, and this set has a pretty good amount of it.

aat_004.jpg

That new telescope piece has to be one of my favorites. It has many uses, and looks great. Before getting this set, I had never seen that rounded black piece. Apparently this is the first time it has been in a set other than Racers. Black piece.

aat_005.jpg

Minifigs

The set comes with 7 minifigs. 3 super battle droids, 2 battle droids, a clone trooper and my favorite, Yoda! :yoda:

Here you can see that the SBDs have new blaster arms, which look great. :thumbup:

aat_006.jpg

New SBD arm. Lots of detail.

aat_007.jpg

The clone trooper and Yoda. Nothing new on the clone, but we get an all new Yoda, who I think looks great. I don't normally like the Clone Wars minifigs because of their strange animated faces, but for the "alien" characters such as Yoda and Plo Koon, I don't really mind. The new frosty chrome colored lightsaber hilts look nice as well.

aat_008.jpg

Yoda's youthful side shows here. :tongue: The neck hair although a bit odd, is also a nice detail.

aat_009.jpg

Yoda's head is made of the same material as Plo Koon's as far as I can tell. Sort of a firm rubber. His head has lots of good detail, like the wrinkles.

aat_010.jpg

Here's a comparison between the old Yoda, and the new Yoda.

Old

sw051.jpg

New

sw219.jpg

I have to say, I like the new one quite a bit better.

A single in-build picture

This is sort of the half-way point in the build, just before the back starts to build up.

aat_015.jpg

Extra Parts

Nothing out of the ordinary.

aat_016.jpg

All Finished!

First comes the little speeder, which fit in the back of the AAT. Personally, I think this is a bit pathetic, but I might be crazy. :laugh:

aat_017.jpg

And now the main event, the AAT!

Here it is in it's full glory. I really love the design of it. The lines are very smooth, the color sceme looks great and it seems to be quite accurate to the real thing.

LEGO version:

aat_018.jpg

Real version:

sepaat.jpg

A front view. For some reason, I think the AAT's shape is excellent.

aat_019.jpg

This view reminds me of the Slave I. :grin: The shape is very odd, yet it looks really cool. It's sort of "swept back" if that makes any sense.

aat_020.jpg

The back.

aat_021.jpg

Here you can see the speeder area. The speeder just slides in.

aat_022.jpg

Let's back it out boys!

aat_023.jpg

The turret area, which also includes...

aat_024.jpg

...The world's most cramped cockpit! This looks hard on the neck...

aat_025.jpg

I thought this looked lovely. It fits perfectly with the rounded design of the AAT.

aat_026.jpg

This spot is just begging for 2 1 x 1 dark bley tiles. Come on TLC, why not? :wacko:

aat_027.jpg

The gun turrets look excellent, although I would have liked to see the blue pieces replaced with dark blue.

aat_028.jpg

My new favorite piece in action. In my opinion, the best small piece since the cheese slope.

aat_029.jpg

Zee bottom.

aat_030.jpg

Here you can see where the speeder goes. This looks a bit roomier than the other droid seating area...

aat_031.jpg

So, we've reached the ratings!

Price: 7/10 (Not bad, but $40 would have been better.)

Pieces: 9/10 (A very nice selection of dark blue, and very few small technic pins and such.)

Design: 10/10 (Very accurate, and also sleek.)

Build: 10/10 (Not repetitive at all, and few finicky little areas.)

Minifigs: 9/10 (Yoda is excellent and the new SBD arms are great, but it would have been nice to get one more clone.)

Playability: 6/10 (There's not really much to play with, unless you love flick-fire missiles...)

Overall: 51/60

When the Separatists need backup, they call in their friends from Bikini Bottom!

aat_033.jpg

I find this set to be excellent. Great design, and what's not to like about Yoda! The price may be slightly high, but compared to the price hikes we've gotten for other sets, this one isn't bad at all.

Thanks, and happy building! :classic:

Nice review! I really like this set but my only gripe is how the colors mix. I think they should have left regular blue out and kept it simple with dark blue.

Nice review! I really like this set but my only gripe is how the colors mix. I think they should have left regular blue out and kept it simple with dark blue.

I agree. :sceptic: I'm never quite sure why TLC mixes colors sometimes, especially when the actual vehicle doesn't have different blues.

I agree. :sceptic: I'm never quite sure why TLC mixes colors sometimes, especially when the actual vehicle doesn't have different blues.

I think that in this case, regular blue is cheaper to make than dark blue... :sadnew:

Thanks for the review! Wow, I want this set, but it is a bit pricey. And I wish it were tan or brown. Bu, for what we have, it's okay. I feel the interior could use a bit of modding however. :classic:

Does this tank not come with any stickers so that it can have the Separatist army logo designs on it?

The old Yoda is WAY superior to the new creepy version.

This set isn't bad, probably the best out of the Winter 09 wave, but I'm still not blown away.

Does this tank not come with any stickers so that it can have the Separatist army logo designs on it?

It does, I just didn't apply them.

I took a picture of the sicker sheet didn't I?

Algernon, while I agree that this version is a bit strange looking, I personally like it better for some reason. On the old one, the lack of eyes turned me off a bit...

Well thanks for this amazing review Erdbeereis :thumbup: . I think your review is excellent and what I need to get convinced by this set (Almost always I don´t like so much a set from the first look I need a good review and good pics to convince me that it is actually very good :tongue: ). This set looks incredibly great :sweet: . The minifigs are very good but I need to admit this new Yoda still needs to grow a little more in me :grin: . The color scheme is very cool but I certainly hope they released the tan one :sadnew::tongue: . I think the box art looks somewhat cartoony too, just like the box art of the Comci-Con exclusive of the last year. I think the color issue is because it adds more detail to the set. Just imagine all the ship dark blue, bley and dark bley and you will find that it would looked really bad :laugh: .

It does, I just didn't apply them.

I took a picture of the sicker sheet didn't I?

Algernon, while I agree that this version is a bit strange looking, I personally like it better for some reason. On the old one, the lack of eyes turned me off a bit...

Well, that's been more than accounted for here, since the new eyes are WAY too big...

Honestly though I'm biased since I hate all the CW figs. Creepy.

GRRRRR! I already made a review! I just needed clearer pics!

Eurobricks welcomes more than one review of a certain set, so no need to freak out. :tongue:

@Algernon, I agree with the points you mentioned, but I'm still very happy to own a Yoda minifig, especially since I never had the old one, and I don't think this one is bad at all. It's always nice to hear different opinions, so thanks for your input! :classic:

Great review! :thumbup: (as always :wink: )

Personelly this is one of my favourite SW sets ever probably, so sleek, accurate and it looks awsome :cry_happy:

But I'm running out of room so I guess I have to skip this one :cry_sad:

Great review nether the less

Well done Strawberry, with a cool Yoda and nice dark blue pieces you have almost convinced me to buy this baby!

Great photos, and lots of explanation make this a :thumbup: from me :grin:

Great review, Erds. Fantastic pictures :wub:

I think the Jan Star Wars launch has been top quality, with all the sets being pretty good. This is one of my favourites, even if I am in the 'new Yoda is creepy' school :wink: Like you, I don't have the old one so it is nice to have the little green munchkin at last and the paint job is excellent.

The build is fun and solidly brick-emphasised. I agree that the normal blue angle wing pieces on the side guns would have been better as dark blue. I would have liked the turntable to be a click one rather than loose as the top gun section can swing around a little.

I also think this is one set where the stickers do complement the build and design, mainly by keeping the through-line of blue down the front of the AAT. Maybe I'll take a pic and post it in this thread so others can see the difference, if you don't mind.

Good review. I want this set too, but first I need to finish my vestasset :P .

Only when you call for help form Spongebob, you fight a losing battle though.

Great review :thumbup:

This is a definatley buy, and at least one of them.

Your review totaly made me wanna buy this set.

-Ras-

Nice review Erdbeereis :thumbup:!

I also like the overall look, great accuracy of the Clone Wars. Dark blue is indeed a great color so those parts are tasty. And the new Yoda looks good, not too cartoony for my taste. I´ll get me a couple of these.

CopMike

Thanks for this elaborate review :thumbup:

At first glance I was disappointed, I liked the old version better.

But having read this review, I might just let this one get the better of me.

I truly dislike the speeder, but I guess I'll be able to live with that.

Indexed

Thanks for the great review Erdbeereis

I think the set is ok, but I don't like the speeder. :sceptic:

I love the new super battle droid :cry_happy:

arms, and I also like how the AAT is so detailed.

I agree with Algernon on the new Yoda, even though he

might be nice to have in my mini-fig collection. :classic:

Colonel Bulstrode

Nice review although I did buy one at the weekend and I think it's a great kit. Might almost be tempted to get a second one.

The old Yoda is WAY superior to the new creepy version.

This set isn't bad, probably the best out of the Winter 09 wave, but I'm still not blown away.

I actually really like the new Yoda. I was not sure, but after seeing a comparison shot between the old and new ones, I really like the new one. It has a lot more detail and looks younger like in the PT, as opposed to the old Yoda that had him as old like in the OT.

Thanks for highlighting certain areas of the AAT. Though I have yet to get this set, I'll still go head for the purchase. The overall feel is pretty good and makes a good face-off against my AT-TE :tongue:

Thanks again for the great review Erdbeereis :thumbup:

Erdy, I will like to take this moment and comment this informative review. :thumbup:

When I viewed this set at the first glance, I give it a deep thought and I wanted to get this set, mainly for the Yoda minifig since I don't have a proper Yoda. Then, I watched the CW anime movie and found this AAT looks pretty cool and nice looking with the nice blend of different blue shades. I must admit, after reading your review. You have totally convinced me to get at least one set of this for many various good factors such as the minifigs, AAT's playability and design. The downside is defintely the hefty price tag. Well, the only regret I will have, is missed this set and regret in the future. :hmpf:

Oh, thanks for pointing out the small detail of the new SBD arm. Indeed, there is a lot of detail in the improved version. :sweet:

Glad to hear you guys liked the review! :sweet:

Svelty, feel free to take a picture of the stickered version.