Sign in to follow this  
Brickvergnugen

...But first some rest

thindexedgif.gif Vig. 53d

After a decade (and then some) away from the bricks, seeing the new pirate sets on the shelves drew me back a few weeks ago. I tried in passing a few years ago to accumulate a few of the original pirate sets and did pick up the BSB when it was re-released, but never really got off the ground with it. Alas, most of my building materials are over 20 years old, so bear with me as I update. These new gray and brown colors are going to be an issue for awhile. I've been messing around a bit with a few of the new sets inspired by some of the fantastic work on this site and would like to present....Corona Island....it is my kind of action packed playset.

isle-of-corona-1.jpg

I know the background and photography stink, but both should improve as my 'creation station' is a little more polished.

Edited by SlyOwl

I can certainly see that a lot of though has gone imto this MOC

And also welcolm to our community

That is the best use of that baseplate I've ever seen! Great idea! I hope this chap has a boat ride home! :pir-tongue:

A fine MOC!

Is that a lolly he's holding? :pir-tongue:

I actually like the <insert that tiresome argument> palm tree here - it gives a nice texture, and the ugly base is hidden :thumbup:

The grey chains provide a nice contrast, and really stand out (I know it's basic, but I really like it for some reason).

We start to see the uses of that baseplate - how long can they be sustained, I wonder, without repetition?

Photographing it on a blue sheet/paper would give a good impression of a desert island :pir-wink:

Alas, most of my building materials are over 20 years old, so bear with me as I update. These new gray and brown colors are going to be an issue for awhile. I've been messing around a bit with a few of the new sets inspired by some of the fantastic work on this site and would like to present....Corona Island....it is my kind of action packed playset.

I suffer from that problem too: I've a reasonably large stock of older sets, which - whilst very nostalgic and fun - don't have the MOCing parts I need. The BSB gives a huge number of grey, black and white plates, but the brown, tan and pearl gold in Brickbeard's Bounty make it much more useful to me (although I haven't got it - I'm just speculating :pir-grin:). The improved part selection and minifigs are also big bonuses.

I've had to swing my collection round by buying crucial MOCing parts of Bricklink (brown 1x1 rounds, cheese slopes, grey slopes, green plates), to allow me to MOC at the "current standard" (by which I mean lots of fancy parts, interesting and non-official techniques, plenty of minifig action; as opposed to what I call "Lugnet Standard", which is "bigger is better", only using certain themes like Blacktron and Crusaders, all studs-up, little detail; for which older sets are better).

:pir-classic:

Welcome back to the game! I have been an AFOL for 6 or so years now, (mostly space and trains) but I am new to the pirate community. I have found this place to be very welcoming. And it is good to have you among us!

I really like this MOC. Very striking! Brilliant simplicity and purity of concept.

Thanks for sharing and God Bless,

Nathan

This is very nice and like said previsoly you put a lot of thought in to this

Who cares if he has a ride home? He has plenty of rum to drink!!! My rum of choice lately has been Pusser's... but that's beside the point. That's a very creative usage of that baseplate, I still have my set built up box stock. and that's only 1 of two new pirate sets that I don't have multiples of

Many thanks for the comments. It was around 5* F outside when I did this. My mind clearly wanted to be somewhere else. I had just finished sorting some of my old transparent pieces and began working on a port MOC messing with a crane and for some reason the cargo net from the new Brickbeard ship struck me as needing to be made into a hammock and the old yellow cone in my old pieces called out for beer bottle.

Is that a lolly he's holding? :pir-tongue:

I actually like the <insert that tiresome argument> palm tree here - it gives a nice texture, and the ugly base is hidden :thumbup:

A lolly indeed. I too don't care much for the new palm trees, but was too lazy to pull one off an old set with set 6242 (Soldiers Fort) sitting in front of me. Not being able to adjust the trunk of the new tree to more interesting shapes is pretty weak. I just noticed that that little tan base plate does have notching to allow it to be attached to a larger building plate. It may look okay on top of a massive blue one, if only they were still to be found...

That's a brilliant little MOC! (Welcome to Eurobricks by the way.)

The hammock is lovely and so are all of the various details.

These new gray and brown colors are going to be an issue for awhile.

That's Bley or Blay and Rown or Rewn. :pir-wink:

I know the background and photography stink, but both should improve as my 'creation station' is a little more polished.

I've seen worse. (like mine :pir-sick: )

All right Mr. Brickvergnugen, get off that Hammock and build some MOCs! :pir_mad:

You've got a lot of catching up to do. :pir-grin:

Oh, and welcome back. :thumbup: