Sign in to follow this  
Etzel

Carolean soldier

thindexedgif.gif Vig. 50d

Since my S@H order didn't arrive today I thought it would be hard to survive the weekend without a new LEGO set. :pir-tongue: Therefore I went to the local toy shop and picked up the new 6192 Pirates Building Set (the real pirates ain't coming in shops until March in Sweden :pir-sceptic: ).

I really like that set, mainly because of the great minifig but also because of the large amount of useful basic bricks. My collection is quite small and this is a great way to expand it.

Now onto my little vig I made today. It shows a Carolean soldier saying good bye to his loved ones. He has just been called out to the army and will soon be fighting danes, russians and other enemies of the Swedish Empire under the command of Charles XI or Charles XII .

karoliner1.jpg

As you can see, none of them are very excited about him going to war. The bad weather has destroyed the crops and without their husband and father the soldiers family will have a very hard time to survive. But they must follow the kings orders like everyone else.

karoliner2.jpg

The crows are already gathering at the little croft to be ready when the famine strikes.

karoliner3.jpg

Here is the Carolean soldier fully equipped with musket and sabre. He is a musketeer and wears the classical blue coat with yellow lining and brass buttons.

karoliner4.jpg Here is a real picture of a Carolean soldier for comparison: uni_i_m_m1706c.jpg

If you are interested in learning more about the famous Carolean army you can take a look here.

I think the torso fits really nice and I'm planning to get a couple of those to make my own little Carolean "army" (well, at least 3-4 of them :pir-blush: )

Please leave comments and creative criticism, I would love to hear your opinions!

/Etzel

Looks great :thumbup:

I really like the desolate atmosphere.

The soldier is nice (although it's a shame about the rip on the torso, as he hasn't actually fought yet :pir-grin: ) -it's a good way of getting Bluecoats without TLC making any!

The birds and tree are beautiful, especially the use of Indy whips. I'd have liked to see a few more branches to give it some width.

That's an interesting technique you've got going with the thatch, and I'd like to see it on a larger scale :pir-wink:

I can only suggest that the door should be recessed, not sticking out, but hey, it's only a small thing :pir-wub:

Looks very good, the soldier (or rather said pirate) that comes with this construction set offers great possibilities, and I most certainly will try to lay my hands on several of them!

Your MOC clearly represents the sadness of the family of the poor farmer-soldier, :thumbup:

I like it, especially the tree with the crows in it.

It's a small, but very nice vignette indeed. :thumbup:

It must be hard for the women to see their men go to the battlefields. :pir-look:

The crows look great.

Nice vignette.

Great work for the small stash you said you had.

Thank you for all your positive comments!

How does it look when you use white legs instead of blue ?

Like this:

karoliner_whitelegs.jpg

I also tried to make brick built legs for the soldier:

karoliner_bricklegs.jpg

But I'm not sure about to use them. I prefer moveable legs.

I find it personally better with white moveable legs…

Even the solution like on the 2nd photograph I find okay… but it is not my first choice.

Thx for the picture by the way... :pir-wink:

That would be an expensive army to build... people are really trying to sell that minifig for $7.50 on BL? *hops on the bandwagon*

Can't wait to see a moc with more of them. Maybe you need some russians.

I think I will do a MOC featuring a battle between the Caroleans and Danish soldiers first. I will get two of the new imperial guards soon (hopefully tomorrow) and they will fit perfectly as Danes.

I would love to do a MOC of the Battle at Poltava 1709 where the Russians defeated the Carolean army but I don't know how to design those Russians. I really don't like using decals so if anyone has a good idea of how to make nice 17th/18th century Russians from existing minifigs I would be really thankful.

That would be an expensive army to build... people are really trying to sell that minifig for $7.50 on BL? *hops on the bandwagon*

Yeah, it's a quite rare torso and the prices are really expensive on brickshelf. As I said in my first post, I don't believe I will get a grand army. More likely a little "patrol" with 3-4 soldiers. I'm just a poor student :pir-hmpf:

Thank you Sir Wellington!

I've been thinking about a Poltova MOC for a while now and would really like to give it a try. But I have to wait some more because I don't have the time now in the summer. Hopefully this autumn will be filled with MOCing and other LEGO activities :pir-cry_happy:

But I have another small MOC featuring my Carolean soldiers, picturing the Carolean Death March.

In 1718 Sweden had lost a lot of territories in the east to Russia after several defeats in the Great Northen War. The Carolean army was too weak to take on the Russian army so the Swedish king Charles XII decided instead to attack Russia's ally, Denmark-Norway. The attack was made on Norway with two armies, one in the south led by the king with the goal to take Christiania (Oslo) and one in the north that was supposed to take Trondheim. But the 30th November Charles XII was killed during the siege of Fredriksten, a fortress near the Swedish border and the Swedish army was ordered to retreat back to Sweden.

At that time the northern army had already failed to take Trondheim and was in very bad condition. The Swedish General, Carl Gustaf Armfeldt, received the orders to retreat around Christmas and decided to take the shortest way back to Sweden, across the Tydal mountain range. The 5 800 men left the village of Østby at New Year's Day 1719 but in the afternoon a violent blizzard struck the army and during the night and the following two days around 3000 soldiers died on the mountains, frozen to death. Of the survivors that made it back to Sweden about 700 more died shortly after and 600 was crippled for life.

lego_002.jpg

lego_003.jpg

It's a very small MOC and I might try to make a bigger one when I find the time for it :hmpf_bad:

Very nice Etzel! I like the faces you used and the messenger sacks you used.

Here is something that may help you:

It was a 2007 Russian War Film Featuring the Great Northern War.

Two very interesting vigs, well done. Only one question, why is one of the corleans a ninja?

It's not a Ninja, soldiers wore rags over their faces to keep warm.

great work. the soldier is well done. the whole vignette has many details and a really tense atmosphere. specially the crows, that are awesome, add to this. even the faces of the family are perfect. thx a lot for sharing this...

jsut saw the second one: after one look i knew whats going on.. soldiers in winter on a retreat... 1 sec to tell a story... great...

Edited by fenris