Andreas L.

Modern Lego trains on old blue track?

Hi,

We have a rather large collection of the old blue track (on white 8x2 sleepers) system (1960-70s) running on 12V. We are now wondering if the newer train systems (9V and RC sets) are compatible with the ole tracks, i.e. do the new wheels still run on the old system (including switches) without problems.

The specific reason we ask is that we are considering purchasing the 7897 RC Passenger Train and run it together with the old 12V trains. Does anyone have experience doing this?

Thanks,

Andreas

Edited by Andreas L.

Well, all of the gauges are the same, so it's just a matter of powering the trains. Anything battery controlled is fine on any rails, but 9V needs the special metal rails to run.

See the "Track" section of this page for more basic info on linking multiple rail systems:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_trains

Well, all of the gauges are the same, so it's just a matter of powering the trains. Anything battery controlled is fine on any rails, but 9V needs the special metal rails to run.

See the "Track" section of this page for more basic info on linking multiple rail systems:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_trains

Thanks for the reply and the link. I am aware that the gauges are the same. However, I am in doubt whether the track profile is too as we have no 9V or RC track to compare with our blue rails. In the wikipedia article they state that the old train may run on the new track but not that the opposite is true (new trains on old track).

So, I am still in doubt whether the wheels of the modern trains will work on the old blue/grey tracks without any problems.

Regards,

Andreas

Edited by Andreas L.

I'm 99% certain that it's fine to run new trains (RC) on old rails. I know that the new wheels and rails are a big bigger, but it shouldn't be an issue (unless you run them really fast...?)

I haven't done it personally, since I am a 9V fan, but I know it has been done. I'll do some searching to see if I can find more info.

I've done it before; the trains seem to work better due to the friction. I don't have any of the old points though...

Yeah, and here's a photo of someone clearly using new wheels on old track:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Legoyoke...66/imgp2804.jpg

I just dug out an old rail myself (I only have a couple), and I see what Sinner is saying. Not only does the old rail system have more friction with the pattern on top of the rails, but the new wheels seem to touch them with both the inner and outer discs on the top and bottom of the rails (whereas the new wheels only touch the new rails with the main outer discs on top of the rails).

I think they can run on the old Lego 4.5 Volt Blue Track, I can run my Lego Flying Scotsman, it does get stuck from time to time, but that might be due a floor which is not level

From memory I found the problems was with the switches - where the 'guide rails' might sometimes interfere with different generations of wheels and rails. However at slow speeds it never seemed to be too problematic.

Indeed, the switching points may be a probem.

The Maersk train for example couldn't pass them properly.

But the rest of the track (straight/curve/crossing) works fine.

I tested that with the Maersk & Horizon Express last year :

Edited by antp

Very nice layouts there... wow!!

I grew up during the blue track era (well the beginning at least)... and I have always liked those tracks. The 2x8 white sleepers during that era were not made of ABS plastic. They were made of another composite plastic that had a dull matte finish to it. In fact some of those sleepers were used in regular model sets that required 2x8 white plates, such as the 455 Lear Jet (USA/Canada only).

For those of you who have a lot of blue track, but use other tracks for your large layouts... the 1967-68 LEGO catalogs had a very interesting use for these blue ones. They built a tresle bridge out of them. Here is an image from a 1967 Finnish LEGO catalog (from my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide) showing a blue tresle bridge.

10404957743_4f54b2ce6d_b_d.jpg

I've got a decent number of extra blue track pieces for such a future project... although I was thinking of something on a larger scale!

I've always found the circa 1968 #343 Train Ferry Set a very unique and interesting set for building, although the scale is off. But it was an ingenious build for LEGO.... (from a 1968 Swedish LEGO ad)...

10179288674_b9248698ab_o_d.jpg

I really regret not getting into LEGO trains... When I got out of my Dark Ages in 1979, I remember visiting relatives in Germany, and used to marvel at all of the cool train items that you coudl buy from the German LEGO retailers... individual spare parts (later in service packs) that were found in LEGO Train retailer boxes under the retailers counter. They had all that you needed for your railroading needs....

5207318486_468c171091_b_d.jpg

The items were shown at the back of LEGO catalogs...

5206716645_4e7c5d0973_b_d.jpg

5206716591_c2b6e64e58_b_d.jpg

Earlier in the 1970's, the spare parts were found in large boxes directly from TLG... under the 707 number...

6015571645_f758ef1b27_b_d.jpg

And also in large wooden LEGO retailer boxes such as this 1972 box....

9511041641_53bd4dd434_b_d.jpg

Contents......

9513835532_f83927e6cf_b_d.jpg

Inside boxtop list....

9513833626_ddc3dc2b36_b_d.jpg

LEGO Train accessories were really very interesting in the 1970s!! :wink:

(Images from my collectors guide on DVD/download - Chapter 18 - Blue Train Track Era - (1966-79), and Chapter 34 - LEGO Individual Part Sales & Service Packs (1950-99) )

Edited by LEGO Historian