Sign in to follow this  
Dragonator

Mystery Manor - Chapter Three

Oh my heebie jeebies! :oh3: What just happened?!

Poor Mr. Blackwater, he looks like a piece of meat on a fork.... This certainly is a strange clue, perhaps we must pretend we are seals, while waving a nazi flag and shooting muskets?

I agree that we should check out the hole in the ceiling left by the fallen chandelier. Give me a boost Mr. Sinclair would you?

Oh no! This is awful! :sick:

While I don't want to dishonour Anthony, I would like to search his person for any clues we might find, as well as look at the chandelier for the reason it fell. Was it simply a break in the chain at an inopportune moment, or was it released on purpose?

Also, could I go back into the other room (the one with the safe) and reset the clock to 3:18?

After getting over the initial shock of this tragedy, I'm left to wonder if it's any coincidence that a certain person seems to fiddle with ever chandelier in every room we enter, then one falls and kills Anthony...

Also, could I go back into the other room (the one with the safe) and reset the clock to 3:18?

That's a good idea!

And someone slap Max, he's babbling.

And someone slap Max, he's babbling.

At least I'm not talking to myself.

Seriously, that's annoying.

Yeah.

:hmpf:

Hmmm, it is tricky, isn't it? This operation Sea Lion you keep talking about, when did you say it was planned for?

Do you mean the specific date or just the time period? 1940 or WWII? WWII318...

It appears Hitler first warned of invading Britain on the 16th of July-1940...

It does appear that the closest answer we can get about when Operation Sealion was supposed to take place was 09-1940 or 1940.09

I googled Operation Sealion 318 and came up with this

Are there any books about WWII or Operation Sealion or Hitler or Nazis on the shelves? If there are I think we should check page 318 of all of those...

This is so unexpected... I can't believe my eyes that Anthony has gotten himself into a tragic accident. On the other hand, I don't think inspecting things around in high grounds could caused unpredictible mishaps in this manor. :look:

At least I'm not talking to myself.

Give it time and enough whiskey, stageboy. :wink:

Are there any books about WWII or Operation Sealion or Hitler or Nazis on the shelves? If there are I think we should check page 318 of all of those...

Already requested all of that, it seems the 318 isn't a page or Draggy isn't cooperating. :angry:

Already requested all of that, it seems the 318 isn't a page or Draggy isn't cooperating. :angry:

You even checked Nazi books? :cry_sad:

You even checked Nazi books? :cry_sad:

But I didn't check Sea Lion books, I don't think... I might have implied it since I wanted to check everything, but he balked at the idea. In the meantime we could have checked them all and maybe poor what's-his-name wouldn't have been chandeliered. :sceptic:

While I don't want to dishonour Anthony, I would like to search his person for any clues we might find, as well as look at the chandelier for the reason it fell. Was it simply a break in the chain at an inopportune moment, or was it released on purpose?

But boss! Are you saying you would scavenge this poor man's dead body? I didn't take you as a grave robber! Although there technically isn't a grave, yet...

If we're going to wind clocks, I should remind you that there's also that grandfather-clock in the dining room. It just needs a key to be wound. And if I remember correctly (and I do, I'm a receptionist, you see), it stopped at 3:52. Maybe we are finding out the time of last night's events here...

But boss! Are you saying you would scavenge this poor man's dead body? I didn't take you as a grave robber! Although there technically isn't a grave, yet...

If he doesn't, I will. That private dick thought he knew something before his untimely demise. We need to know what that was.

Maybe we are finding out the time of last night's events here...

Yes, that must be it! At precisely 3:18, a homicidal nazi sea lion priest killed Chester with a musket... while perched on a rock in the sea. I'm not sure he was actually waving a flag at the time, but it's symbolic, I'm sure. Like the cross. He might not have been wearing his collar, but no doubt, he was a priest. In a diabolical twist, he drew a picture of the event and included the time. THEN he put the picture in the drawer, locked it and hid the key in that book triggered statue. :wacko:

Would you like to make a formal accusation to that effect? :laugh:

Yes, that must be it! At precisely 3:18, a homicidal nazi sea lion priest killed Chester with a musket... while perched on a rock in the sea. I'm not sure he was actually waving a flag at the time, but it's symbolic, I'm sure. Like the cross. He might not have been wearing his collar, but no doubt, he was a priest. In a diabolical twist, he drew a picture of the event and included the time. THEN he put the picture in the drawer, locked it and hid the key in that book triggered statue. :wacko:

Congrats for solving the case! :tongue:

But I'm stuck with the clue, at least. The operation took place in September 1940, but it's December the 1st of 2008 now, so knowing the date won't get us anywhere.

So why don't we slowly move on to the next room, just in case there are more hints to this clue there? We can always return here, in case someone wants to do his worst with poor Mr. Blackwater's body. :hmpf_bad:

The sudden demise of Anthony Blackwater has shocked the EB detectives. Suddenly the house seems awfully creepy. Who caused Anthony's death? Had he really figured out the murderer?

Michael decides to take a look at the body for any clues. The man is quite obviously dead, a conclusion reached by the absence of anything resembling a head, however his body is still mostly intact, except for a few gory mangles caused by the chandelier. Searching through his pockets, Michael finds some car keys, a wooden pipe, a tobacco pouch, a box of matches, and a notebook. The notebook is new, and is labelled Mystery Manor. There is not much written in it, but it reads as follows:

1st December, Morning

Background

Limited time - didn't find much. One of the detectives has some connection to an underground organisation called The Red Dragon, couldn't find out what the connection is though and nothing about the organistation itself. Perhaps I will speak with him if it turns out to be relevant. Also seems that the DHPT has been furiously trying to secure the manor as an historic landmark, despite refusals.

Perhaps I will discover more tonight...

At the Manor

Funny chap called Dragonator is accompanying us. Sure I've seen him before, can't recall where. What is his reason for being here? The rest look fairly normal, although there is one among them that seems to stand out to me. Perhaps I'll see something inside...

The rest of the notebook just contains the clues you have found so far and working for the cryptograms. You skip past this and take a look at the last written-on page.

Library

Nice place, and with some definite clues. This pictogram seems to have them all stumped. By the looks of things, it must have something to do with WWII, but taking a glance around the library, it does not appear that there are many books on the period. Perhaps they are thinking to deeply on this. I'm sure they must be getting close with the 09-1940, but what could it relate to? There is also the matter of the cross and number. Possibly a page number? Or perhaps just nothing? Hard to tell.

A few scribbles and some ink blots follow, and then the following:

Ah right, got it!

Think I know the murderer. Obvious really. Hah, this will show those police inspectors that I'm just as good as them!

The rest of the notebook is blank.

Meanwhile, the rest of the detectives look up at the ceiling. All they can see is a hole where the cable for the chandelier goes into the ceiling. The cable is still connected to the chandelier. There is probably a winch mechanism in the ceiling for lowering and lifting it, but it is to high up to get a clear look, especially with the dimmer illumination.

If we knew where everyone had been standing at the moment of the incident, we could take turns searching those areas until we found the triggering device for that chandelier, assuming one was used in the first place. Sadly, that doesn't seem like something within our capabilities.

I still find it suspicious that the doctor has been so obsessed with the chandeliers and then one kills someone.

As for the clues in the notebook, I'm not seeing much there, but let's go one by one...

Limited time - didn't find much. One of the detectives has some connection to an underground organisation called The Red Dragon, couldn't find out what the connection is though and nothing about the organistation itself. Perhaps I will speak with him if it turns out to be relevant.

The same group that was threatening Chester, the group he seemed to work for in keeping prying eyes out of this house and guarding whatever it is in the east wing? Seems pretty clear.

Also seems that the DHPT has been furiously trying to secure the manor as an historic landmark, despite refusals.

Already established. It puts Bernard and myself on the opposite end of things from these red dragon chaps, since they seem to want the house kept closed and we want it opened for the public good. I can see where that gives them motive, but honestly, no one would be crazy enough to kill for the DHPT. They're practically a government agency, if they can't get what they want with more money, they'd just find a way to sue for it, no sense in killing anyone.

Funny chap called Dragonator is accompanying us. Sure I've seen him before, can't recall where. What is his reason for being here?

Had the same feeling and questions myself.

The rest look fairly normal, although there is one among them that seems to stand out to me.

That was probably just Max wanting to pee in the corner. :tongue:

Nice place, and with some definite clues. This pictogram seems to have them all stumped. By the looks of things, it must have something to do with WWII, but taking a glance around the library, it does not appear that there are many books on the period. Perhaps they are thinking to deeply on this. I'm sure they must be getting close with the 09-1940, but what could it relate to? There is also the matter of the cross and number. Possibly a page number? Or perhaps just nothing? Hard to tell.

Here's the problem with all of our theories up to this point. He proceeds to use the pictogram to solve the case, which means it can't point to a page number, a time, or a combination. It literally must be a self-contained clue, since he doesn't go anywhere, do anything, or find anything. Somehow, solving that puzzle would tell us who the murderer is. It may not, however, indicate the method or location, so even if we think we've solved it, we're still grasping a bit to prove it.

Ah right, got it!

Think I know the murderer. Obvious really. Hah, this will show those police inspectors that I'm just as good as them!

Clearly he used his head, which is no longer an option it would seem. :sick:

Let's try 1940 as the password to that safe in the ballroom!!

Let's go back and:

Try 1940 on the safe

Change the time to 318 on the clock(s)

Pretty reveling information the PI has. I wonder who the Red Dragon member is :look:

I wonder who the Red Dragon member is :look:

Probably Dragonator since the word Dragon is in his name. Perhaps you should explain to us Mr. Dragonator who you are since the Private Detective didn't even know...

From what I can see of the notebook, it appears that Anthony was on to something about the pictogram. The question is, what?I do not think he solved the whole case using just that however, perhaps he noticed something that the rest of us missed? Anyway, let us see go see if Max is right.

The detectives return to the ballroom through the northern pair of doors in the east wall, and walk over to the safe. Max punches in 1940 and hits enter. A loud beep is heard and a second red light pops up above the display.

Hmmm, that leaves only three more attempts. Remember that the accompanying note said a four letter word was required...

Resetting the electronic clock to 3:18 does not render any results, nor does turning back the grand-father clock in the dining room. Putting them back to where they were (the electronic clock now shows 12:18), the group returns to the library, wondering what it is that they have missed.

Oh, by the way Peter, you were asking for a pencil earlier, right? I have one right here if you want to borrow it. :blush:

Perhaps you should explain to us Mr. Dragonator who you are since the Private Detective didn't even know...

Most certainly Mr. Sinclair. I am simply a concerned colleague of Lord Chester, as I'm sure I said earlier. He failed to turn up to a morning meeting yesterday, and I want to know why. So, about that pictogram... :grin:

How about these for the four letter words?

But I don't want to try any until we all agree.

Nazi

Seal

Rock

Flag

WWII

Lion

Or 1940 could relate to a letter, which would be AID, but then 0 doesn't have a letter...

Those are all I could think of...

Those are all good ideas for the password, but I think we should wait before guessing again. For all we know, the picture could have nothing to do with the safe.

Most certainly Mr. Sinclair. I am simply a concerned colleague of Lord Chester, as I'm sure I said earlier. He failed to turn up to a morning meeting yesterday, and I want to know why. So, about that pictogram... :grin:

No no. How did you gain access to the manor? If he was dead when you got here...and how do you know he's dead? When did we go over this? Has anyone seen the body? Do you know where it is?

How about these for the four letter words?

But I don't want to try any until we all agree.

Nazi

Seal

Rock

Flag

WWII

Lion

Or 1940 could relate to a letter, which would be AID, but then 0 doesn't have a letter...

Those are all I could think of...

I would guess wwii if we had to type in four more letters. Lord Chester seems to have had quite an interest. But Anthony seemed to think we were onto something with 09-1940...but what?

But Anthony seemed to think we were onto something with 09-1940...but what?

As I already said before, since Anthony didn't leave the room after his calculations, he clearly didn't figure out anything to do with the safe, clocks, or anything else that required action.

If we're to believe he figured anything out, he must have actually deciphered the pictogram to mean something like a name. That's the direction to go with that, and honestly, we can do that while we're searching the house. Let's try another room, like the one out the other door from the library.

Max, I am not certain he is dead, but he must be somewhere in the mansion, and as he didn't come to greet us at the door I am fearing the worst. Perhaps you should turn your inquisitive mind to solving some of these clues. :wink:

Peter, if everyone else is done in this room then I would be happy to move on. Now did you want this pencil or not?

Peter, if everyone else is done in this room then I would be happy to move on. Now did you want this pencil or not?

Oh, ta!

*places the sheet of paper back on the stack and gently rubs it with the pencil, hoping to reveal the impression of what had been written on the sheet above it, then quickly pockets the pencil*

Peter rubs the pencil against the sheet of paper. Very faintly you can see the impression of what was written on the sheet above. It reads as follows:

Tei lcnan wayuekh bbeo tish tose.

There is nothing else.