Mike Yates

Mega Bloks

Just a quick bump I guess...I've made a lot of recent Lego purchases but at the same time, I got probably the 3rd Megablocks set I have ever had (last time I got one I was probably 8 or 9 years old). This is what I got, some sort of ultimate build Porsche GT3 RS from their Need For Speed series (I'm guessing partnership with the video game series):

pTRUCA1-10480372_alternate1_dt.jpg

I haven't gotten around to building it yet but this flikr link shows the set in good detail, with the packaging and the car itself: mega bloks need for speed build it kits porsche 911 gt3 rs (9)

Sure, the body uses a lot of specialized pieces but IMHO it still looks great. Also, the retail price for this was $54.99 Canadian at TRU but happened to be on sale 40% off for around $37, tax included already.

Wow, those are pretty cool, even with the big car pieces. Look at Cars cars, they have big car pieces, too. I'd really be interested in these. When you build that, report back and let us(me :blush:)know, if you would.

Wow, those are pretty cool, even with the big car pieces. Look at Cars cars, they have big car pieces, too. I'd really be interested in these. When you build that, report back and let us(me :blush:)know, if you would.

When it comes to specialized pieces, one of the major things that separates the piece from being a 'cool new mold' or a 'kiddy piece' from being a 'big ugly overly-specialized piece' is the scale. The Cars cars are clearly intended for the younger fans of LEGO's System lines, and the cars with highly-specialized molds aren't much bigger than HotWheels or Matchbox cars. This car, on the other hand, appears about 16 studs wide. At this size, the specialized molds start to make a model like this composed of about a dozen large, specialized pieces look more like a model kit than a building toy. The general shape can just as well be captured with more basic slopes and curves, such as in this model. (not exactly the same car, but fairly close) When I look at that MegaBloks set, with the exception of the front-most area, it doesn't look remotely like a brick-based building toy to me.

Don't get me wrong, the model looks great if you don't mind specialized parts, and I have nothing against those who do buying the set. But to me, it looks great as a generic plastic model, not a brick-based building toy. Maybe it's just because I'm an MOCer, but this model looks to me more like taking the easy way out with a bunch of molds that will probably never be used by a kid for anything else and the model won't stir up as much creativity in a potential builder as it would were it made up of smaller, basic parts.

With sets like the one shown above, I feel like Mega Brands is missing the point of a building toy entirely. It's not to make a model as realistic as possible with precisely accurate angles and smooth curves and transitions. That would be a model kit. The idea of a building toy is to take a bunch of basic shapes like cones, cylinders, cubes, and so forth, and combine them to transform them into more complex shapes.

, I honestly feel that anybody who doesn't at least try out Megabloks toys has no right to bash them.

*prepares to get bashed himself*

There is nothing wrong with using "off brands" sometimes. Maybe LEGO dosn't offer the selection you want, or they're very expensive relative to piece count (esp. the licenced brands ). Whatever the reason for using something other than LEGO, you can as long as it's not advertised as being real LEGO.

Well I think this is the right thread to post this, I'm just lucky someone bumped it so I could see it. :laugh:

I've been going through sorting a big bulk lot I got on eBay. There is not much MB in it, but there appears to be nearly one complete MB set - something from Iron Man line. I feel bad because some of the parts are so pretty that I want to keep them. They are dark red with a very fine dark red glitter inside :cry_happy: I have put them all in the "crap to throw out box" as I'm still sorting, but part of me really does want to keep a few of the small dark red glitter plates and modified plates. These small parts are very good quality, surprisingly. All the larger parts, though the same color, seem pretty crappy as usual (horrible clutching powers, waxy look/feel).

One other thing, seems to be from the same set, is a toolbox and a power drill. I dunno, the drill seems TOO detailed and definitely too big for a minifig, but I think would look great in the hand of a Technic figure. The toolbox is really neat though, similar to LEGO treasure chest with some details molded into the inside-bottom.

I'm so ashamed and confused. :wacko:

Well I think this is the right thread to post this, I'm just lucky someone bumped it so I could see it. :laugh:

I've been going through sorting a big bulk lot I got on eBay. There is not much MB in it, but there appears to be nearly one complete MB set - something from Iron Man line. I feel bad because some of the parts are so pretty that I want to keep them. They are dark red with a very fine dark red glitter inside :cry_happy: I have put them all in the "crap to throw out box" as I'm still sorting, but part of me really does want to keep a few of the small dark red glitter plates and modified plates. These small parts are very good quality, surprisingly. All the larger parts, though the same color, seem pretty crappy as usual (horrible clutching powers, waxy look/feel).

One other thing, seems to be from the same set, is a toolbox and a power drill. I dunno, the drill seems TOO detailed and definitely too big for a minifig, but I think would look great in the hand of a Technic figure. The toolbox is really neat though, similar to LEGO treasure chest with some details molded into the inside-bottom.

I'm so ashamed and confused. :wacko:

Post pics, I can take a look and see if they are indeed clone parts from the set.

Next, I do request you donate it and not throw it out, we do not need more plastic in landfill for a start and the toy can either be sold on for charity or even given directly to kids who need toys. I think I have said this very often in the this very thread, but unless it is a cheap and potentialy dangerous bootleg, it can be donated and give a child in an underprivileged background something fun to play with.

Post pics, I can take a look and see if they are indeed clone parts from the set.

I'll get some photos tonight. I'm sure they are from an Iron Man set due to the color (and there are some gold-ish parts too) and the stickers on some parts that say "Stark" or "Stark Industries".

Next, I do request you donate it and not throw it out, we do not need more plastic in landfill for a start and the toy can either be sold on for charity or even given directly to kids who need toys. I think I have said this very often in the this very thread, but unless it is a cheap and potentialy dangerous bootleg, it can be donated and give a child in an underprivileged background something fun to play with.

Yeah, unless they are actually broken, I put all the "clone" and random toys I find in bulk lots into another box that eventually will be donated to Goodwill or Savers along with other toys and kid clothes.

:grin:

Do you people really think without some form of competition, TLG products would be cheaper? or the quality of the products would stay high?

Hell no.

The main gripe seems to be the quality of the "clone brands" is the fit of parts, not where they are made, so i put this to you.

If the quality of MB or one of the other brands came up to or bettered LEGO`s quality and released themes/sets you really wanted that could not be obtained from LEGO, would still resist buying them?

Also, I find people saying they destroy toys because they are purists for one brand disgusting, there are millions of poor kids in the world that cannot afford overpriced LEGO products that would love a box of bricks, no matter what the brand, give them to charity or goodwill.

Do you people really think without some form of competition, TLG products would be cheaper? or the quality of the products would stay high?

If the quality of MB or one of the other brands came up to or bettered LEGO`s quality and released themes/sets you really wanted that could not be obtained from LEGO, would still resist buying them?

I know I wouldn't and I have bought (but overall been disapointed with) Halo sets from MB. I have a lot (a LOT) of MB Dragons sets from when they were cool, the new stuff looks horrible. There are some nice unique parts in MB and Kre-o, I just wish it would be made with better plastic so it wouldn't stand out so much in a MOC.

One of the problems faced by those of us that might like to use other brand accessories is the rampant fanboyism that extends out to contests and conventions. On the one hand I can understand why, but on the other hand it makes it even harder to get comments if there are clone parts in a model (and for people like me, it's already hard to get any comments on MOCs anyway). :sceptic:

Also, I find people saying they destroy toys because they are purists for one brand disgusting, there are millions of poor kids in the world that cannot afford overpriced LEGO products that would love a box of bricks, no matter what the brand, give them to charity or goodwill.

Yes I agree and I think Pep agrees too. There are very few things I actually throw away, but I do use the term "throw out" to mean that I get rid of it. I never purposely destroy things just because they are not LEGO though.

Eh, I oft need to repeat my words, for every member who donates those they get there is at least three who will censor out letters of a brand name and gleefully describe how they set fire to them if they arrive by mistake.

pTRUCA1-10480372_alternate1_dt.jpg

Now this is what I love about MB - they make this series where the sets are completely distinguishable from ordinary LEGO and use the bricks to give a good building experience for the children. This is a win for all parties involved. You can then figure out fun ways of reusing the "unusable" parts, build a longer Porsche 'limo' or whatever crosses your mind.

Interesting because, as I posted in another thread, I recently attended a presentation by the president of TLG's North American Marketing division.

He discussed that part of TLG's downfall in the early 2000's was that they were actually trying to compete on price with lower quality clone brands.

What they discovered was that they were, in fact, a premium brand (as far as building bricks was concerned) and started raising their prices.

Now I don't know if this (in itself) led to higher sales, but even at reduced sales, higher prices means higher profit (if sales don't drop that dramatically). In this case, sales didn't drop at all - they increased.

Ever since, LEGO has steadily been increasing it's profit margins - in the grand scheme, Mega is competition to LEGO, it's true, but the same can be said of Hasbro and Mattel... as far as plastic building bricks are concerned, they essentially run on the principle that they have a monopoly on "premium" building bricks (even if he didn't say it that way).

It's actually worked wonders for the company... not only have sales and profits increased over the past ten years, profits have literally spiked over the last couple.

This is the same phenomena that allows a company like Cadilac, for example, to take a Chevy Tahoe, rebrand it as a Cadilac Escalade, and charge tens of thousands more for it. If they charged the same as the Tahoe, people would think it wasn't up to snuff.

I am sure most of those parts can be reused,I am not a car fan but mayby thay could be used in machinery or in a truck. :classic:

I am sure most of those parts can be reused,I am not a car fan but mayby thay could be used in machinery or in a truck. :classic:

Perhaps, though my point still stands that Mega Brands isn't really encouraging the creative use of basic shapes with these giant specialized pieces, whether those pieces are reusable or not.

Though Lasse D makes a good point. On one hand, I have a list of complaints related to why I can't stand MegaBloks, but on the other hand, I think I would rather have Mega Brands continue to do those things which are in my opinion wrong, because it just makes LEGO that much more appealing.

Perhaps, though my point still stands that Mega Brands isn't really encouraging the creative use of basic shapes with these giant specialized pieces, whether those pieces are reusable or not.

Of course your point stands and it is a very good point too,i am just adding my point to the thread.:classic:

I think I would rather have Mega Brands continue to do those things which are in my opinion wrong, because it just makes LEGO that much more appealing.

I agree with you there. :classic:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

And Megabloks makes alot of things lego doesn't.

For those of us who don't like Megabloks, that can actually be bad. For instance, I was outraged when Lego lost the Spider-Man 3 license to MB. :angry: I really wanted to get a Black Spider-Man minifigure.

Here's my take on Megabloks: I have long considered them to be my benchmark for clone-brand crapiness (brown standard, perhaps :tongue: ), due to the fact that I once made the mistake of buying one of their army sets in the mid 1990's... It was just plain horrible: The bricks looked like they were injection molded with a hot-glue gun, and were all either misshapen, crooked or looked half-melted, and the mini-action figure, one of the few redeeming features of the set, suffered from similar problems, i.e. his helmet wouldn't fit quite right, the weapons didn't quite fit either the megablok minifig's hands or standard LEGO minifigs, and the holes in the bottom of the figures feet gave me extreme amounts of difficulty with fitting on either LEGO or megabloks studs... The only redeeming feature to that set was the fact that the sand-bag bricks were fairly useful, but I had to file down the rough edges to get them to fit right...

That said, I somehow acquired some white Megablok pieces sometime around 2000 (probably in a trade with one of my friends so I could finish my awesome Japanese castle... The Megabloks have since been removed and I'm about to explain why), and although their quality control improved to the point that they seemed to no longer have problems with deformed, mutant bricks, the grip of these bricks wasn't all that great and the color wasn't even close to matching the LEGO white, and stood out like a sore thumb in my MOCs...

Granted, some of the LEGO knock-offs that are featured on Reasonably Clever's Friday Fail segment somehow manage to make Megabloks look like the gold standard for brick-based construction toys. :laugh:

I do not, however, have anything against clones in general, as long as the quality is good... My brother and I got a big bucket o' Tyco bricks for Christmas in 1988, and I still have a few (my City Island Keep MOC has a 1988 vintage Tyco 1x3 black brick somewhere in the foundation). If Tyco was still making construction bricks today, I'd be more than happy to buy them, due to the fact that their quality (like all Tyco brand toys) was top-notch and, dare I say, EQUAL to LEGO brick quality. I'd given up hope on the existence of any decent clone brands, but now I've been hearing good things about Oxford, and from some of the reviews I've seen on this site, I'd be more than happy to give them a try (I'm going to buy that one King Sejong the Great DDG kit for that awesome 16 x 80 gray hull, and even if I don't use any other of the original parts for the MOC ship I have planned, I have a feeling some of the gray and dark gray elements are going to be showing up in some of my Castle projects).

One final thought: Those folks who are always complaining about how "<insert that tiresome argument>" LEGO is should take a look at that Megabloks car... That makes the worst offenders of the LEGO Juniorization era in the late 1990's look tame by comparison. :laugh:

Easily the most interesting thing about these new Need for Speed sets are the licensing implications.

Somehow, getting the license for Need for Speed has given Mega Bloks the toy rights to all sorts of car models from multiple companies. This would suggest that for whoever owned the Need for Speed franchise also held the toy rights to all these cars.

Speaking as a lawyer, it seems bizarre to me that the owner of a videogame franchise would be holding the toy rights to the cars featured in the game.

I picked this up last week.

A pretty good bargain at TRU for $50 also right now they have bogo 40% off.

Im not a fan of Halo, cause I never played it. But I do like the designs of Halo. I picked up the Minifig Halo Warthaog previously to go with my 3rd party Halo figure. So I put it in frame to compare the size.

dsc0176kq.jpg

dsc0177x.jpg

dsc0178kw.jpg

dsc0179c.jpg

dsc0180c.jpg

Edited by Solscud007

I picked this up last week.

A pretty good bargain at TRU for $50 also right now they have bogo 40% off.

Im not a fan of Halo, cause I never played it. But I do like the designs of Halo. I picked up the Minifig Halo Warthaog previously to go with my 3rd party Halo figure. So I put it in frame to compare the size.

How is the quality? A couple years i built some of these Mega Block Halo sets for my Boss's son, and the mini warthog kept falling apart every time the suspension compressed, and the rest of the sets had no grab in the pieces. Curious if they've made any improvments in quality in the last couple years.

You know, in Japan, they did One Pice and Pokemon lego sets. I would like to see them do Digimon. Especially one of my favorite characters, Ranamon

post-21248-132098254475.jpg

How is the quality? A couple years i built some of these Mega Block Halo sets for my Boss's son, and the mini warthog kept falling apart every time the suspension compressed, and the rest of the sets had no grab in the pieces. Curious if they've made any improvments in quality in the last couple years.

For the most part, the 2011 and beyond sets are pretty decent. I recently bought a UNSC Falcon, and while the brick quality isn't quite up to Lego standard, it's good enough that building the set doesn't feel unpleasant. The set itself holds together great, feels solid and should survive rough play.

For the most part, the 2011 and beyond sets are pretty decent. I recently bought a UNSC Falcon, and while the brick quality isn't quite up to Lego standard, it's good enough that building the set doesn't feel unpleasant. The set itself holds together great, feels solid and should survive rough play.

My minifig warthog only has one clutch problem and that is the two front tow hooks. They fall off if you sneeze too hard, other than that it has stayed together just fine.

The big warthog seems fine in terms of clutch strength. The only weak design is the way the triple barrels attach to the body of the gun.

Edited by Solscud007