Mike Yates

Mega Bloks

You guys think it would be cool if there was a Mega Bloks Total Drama line? It would be based on this Canadian Animated TV Series called Total Drama.

Did you have to bump a topic about this megacrap stuff. *huh*

Anyway why say megablocks should do whatever total drama is, TLC would do a better job.

Did you have to bump a topic about this megacrap stuff. *huh*

Anyway why say megablocks should do whatever total drama is, TLC would do a better job.

What is wrong with Mega Bloks? Mega Bloks is just fine.

What is YOUR deal?

This is a Lego website and generally we all hate megablocks because it is a brand which have stolen lego's ideas and made a profit. Plus there brick quality is worse... On this site we even use the word megablocks for a swearing word.

Edited by Eskallon

:hmpf: Well although I somewhat like the Halo Mega Bloks and have a few of them. Mega Bloks is not "just fine" There quality is horrible and praising Mega in a Lego forum is stupid, as is thread necromancy to restart a conversation about said Mega Bloks. :sick:

This is a Lego website and generally we all hate megablocks because it is a brand which have stolen lego's ideas and made a profit. Plus there brick quality is worse... On this site we even use the word megablocks for a swearing word.

I don't hate megablocks

:devil: I despise megablocks! :devil:

Gentlemen? See the metaphorical crown? (Hint, it's in the title and isn't related to music). I believe that you should stop the arguments about whether Megablocks is cool or not. We all have opinions about such things.

Another thing to mention. Trent, I think you were warned about spamming up the place with posts about Total Drama Island construction toys, wouldn't a fansite dedicated to the series be a more appropriate place to discuss this ad nauseam? I think it has been established that construction toy compaines are not really that interested in picking up the liscence. Maybe you could use your collection and create something to show us all what we are missing, instead of telling us all that there should be some for sale?

Toopic:

Megabloks quality : Seems to be very variable among years, basically even though I have been close to many megabloks bricks due to finding them in random bulks I buy weekly, It seems that quality is always different from too bad to hard to distinguish from LEGO o_O.

Sets: Let me say: Megabloks HALO sets and other sci fi stuff they made over the years = Cool. However, whenever I see a megabloks boat, it seems to be made of about 20 pieces in total (ok, it is about 300, but for something as big as a flag ship it should have more parts than that, about 5x more...). I think that if I was a fan that bought a large mega ship (I've seen this happen with PotC and also some sort of medieval theme) and find out that the boat itself is composed of giantic pieces it would be disappointing. I have some of the pieces that form hulls and it is amazing... That's disappointing because from what I could tell, large megabloks boats are not really inexpensive, it is about half of what you pay for a large LEGO boat, but the LEGO boat has about 5x the value. It does have large pieces, but nothing as bad as the mega one...

Now if I were to comment on Mega minifigs... I just don't like the design direction they took...

However, I am pretty sure that if I am given the chance to buy one of the huge HALO space ships I will do it.

I picked up a bulk lot this weekend that was supposed to be all Legos. Of course it didn't turn out that way, so I touched my first mega bloks this weekend. Mostly 2 x 4s and 1 x 2s, castle wall 2 x 4s, etcs. They definitely offer colors not seen in the lego universe, which made the sorting pretty easy, but the blues and blacks took some getting used to.

The yellows were the ones that seemed cheapest in quality, kind of flimsy-er, I guess.

All and all, and not having ever looked at any of their sets, I would think the way they don't snap together well would get old real quick. For a young kid or those on a tight budget, I can see where theri appeal lies.

On the subject of the Devil's work - that is MB ! :sick: I own an A10 Warthog jet attack craft, It was one of worst builds ever - crappy instructions and plates that would not lock into place......TOTALLY MEH - I would not buy another MB item ever again ! :angry:

Hail LEGO ! :grin:

Please don't post in this topic unless you have at least something somewhat substantial to say, as lightning tiger and drevim have.

Community is for discussion, not just flaming something or tiny meaningless posts.

Personally, I get frustrated with MB because the bricks don't stick together very well. I have a ton of the Dragons stuff, and while some of the rock pieces and baseplates are fairly cool looking, the parts just don't have enough clutch. The figures have loose parts, as well. I'll stick with the excellently clutching LEGO.

Megabloks is okay at best. The actual basic pieces are good for filling in Lego MOCs, but once you get specialized pieces, the quality starts to drop it like it's hot. :tongue:

As for figures, some look cool, like Dragons, but are very brittle and easy to break, save the Halo ones. I have no idea about the Halo sets, as I've only encountered the figures.

It seems I haven't posted in a long time. I'm very sorry, I've just been so distracted recently.

Allow me to give my own thoughts on MB.

I personally find Mega Bloks, while somewhat inferior to Lego in terms of history, culture, grace and overall product standard, to be a very good buy if you purchase a Halo set. I myself, ashamedly, have ordered the new Pelican set in place of a Lego set simply because I felt it would be a better buy.

Please don't kill me! :look:

But that said, I always come back to Lego at some point, and I'm merely experimenting with the MB world at the moment.

-A.S.

Edited by AwesomeStar

The Iron Man sets look cool, but I'm always afraid to pick up any MB sets because I'm always hearing how their QC is more lax than Lego. And while it sounds odd, perhaps because I'm just used to Lego, who has a wide variety of their own specialty bricks, but when I look at the MB specialty bricks, it's like I'm looking at something totally foreign. Sort of like seeing something in the Russian alphabet. You know they're letters and some of them look similar to these, but they're still different.

I started hating M********* when I was very young. I was given some along with a pile of Lego. The M*** parts just didnt stick together well, and I quickly begun to form my opinion which still holds to this day.

Honestly, I have drooled over cheaper ships, and military sets/parts that Lego just has never had/never will? (despite the subtle increase in "violent" themes and sets) Seriously, TLG should have a line of realistic military vehicles. (Like nearly every other toy company on the planet does.)

But, I have stayed with Lego only because of the quality of the bricks and figures.

So, M*** can design some cool dragons, but their sets will just fall apart.

As far as other "clone brands" I suppose I have been scared away from them because of my experience with the M***, so I have not tried most of the others.

If you want cheaper quality bricks, then it is totally up to you. Go for it.

(Remember, you get what you pay for.)

I loved Mega-Blok's "Streetz" line - the mix of construction toy and Micro Machines-scaled cars really appealed to the kid in me.

You can tell that the quality isn't as high as Lego, but I guess you know that going in, as it's less expensive.

I really liked the roof sections from the Megabloks POTC and Dragons themes. yeah they're <insert that tiresome argument>, large pieces but they provide a roof detail unavailable using Lego. thatch roof and oriental. I don't feel any guilt or disloyalty using the parts. I spend enough on real Lego to assuage that. but sometimes when constructing there's just no way to get Lego pieces to do what you want them to so a rival brand that does the parts is where I go. In the same way I buy from brickarms and brickforge.

I really liked the roof sections from the Megabloks POTC and Dragons themes. yeah they're <insert that tiresome argument>, large pieces but they provide a roof detail unavailable using Lego. thatch roof and oriental. I don't feel any guilt or disloyalty using the parts. I spend enough on real Lego to assuage that. but sometimes when constructing there's just no way to get Lego pieces to do what you want them to so a rival brand that does the parts is where I go. In the same way I buy from brickarms and brickforge.

My position exactly. Tool and brick detail, the many weapons with the nice paint application. I treat them the same as "custom" products.

I got this huge Mega Bloks Motor Sport Build and Race when I was a kid and I absolutely loved it. Back then, I knew there was a difference between Lego and Mega Bloks but that set I loved it as a child. My cousin got this Planetoids set after I got my Motor Sport thing. He had it setup also and liked it but later gave it to me as he got older. I never got around to building the Planetoids set for myself but when he had it at his house, the thing was pretty cool. I believe these are the only 2 Mega Bloks sets I own. I do remember the blocks not holding onto each other that well even back then but didn't prevent me from having fun with it. I haven't bought Mega Bloks again simply because their sets do not really appeal to me. The Halo sets do look half-decent though.

Edited by Canada_7