Nikola Bathory

Review: 6034 Black Monarch's Ghost

indexed.gif

Some basic information:

Set: 6034 Black Monarch's Ghost

Theme: Castle

Subtheme: Black Knights

Year: 1990

This is my second review here, and I noticed that this cool set has never been reviewed on EB, so I hope you like it.

First, to show the entire set and the box:

reviewmain1.jpg

As you can see, it's a small set, but it contains some cool stuff.

Here are the instructions:

review2.jpg

There isn't much to build here, the structure is small, but still very nice in my opinion.

Now, the back of the box:

review3.jpg

This is something I really miss nowadays, LEGO used to show 2-3 alternative builds on the back of every box, even on such small sets like this one. :thumbup: They have stopped doing that and it's a real shame. :thumbdown:

Next, a photo of the set: the small structure, the ghost, the horse and the knight.

review4.jpg

I love the doors, I think it's the only pair of such doors in my collection. Their colour is great, dark brown.

Here is the mighty knight in his armour:

review5.jpg

This armor is so stylish, such a great design! And the helmet cool, it gives the minifig a menacing look! It really looks like the real thing, I'm sure you know, but just to demonstrate, here a photo I took recently in a museum in Vienna full of Medievil armor suits and weapons:

P1030711.jpg

Now, the back of the little tower, where the ghost haunts:

review6.jpg

This set can be attached to other Castle sets in the usual manner shown here:

review7.jpg

My scores:

Playability: 8/10 - You can have some interaction between the ghost and the knight, but this set is best used together with other Castle sets, where it gives you plenty of options.

Design: 10/10 - Simple, straightforward design of the structure, with cool colours - exactly as I like it.

Value: 10/10 - A small set, but it comes with a horse, a knight with a great armor, an owl (not shown here) and a ghost. The ghost is made of phosphorus and glows green in the dark! As a child, I loved this (well, I still do). This little set had a special place in my kingdom, I placed it between the 6073 and the 6066 as a kind of neutral territory between the opposing sides. :sweet:

And to conclude, here the evil ghost is attacking the unsuspecting knight:

review8.jpg

I hope you've enjoyed my review, feel free to post feedback and your thoughts on the set itself.

Nikola Bathory

Edited by WhiteFang
Review added to index

This is an awsome set and an awsome review :thumbup:

I wish TLG still did sets like this! Small in-expensive sets with aswome figs, eg ghost :wub: I really want one of these ghost so hopefully TLG put one in a small set some time soon! :cry_happy:

It's always nice to see a Black Knights castle review. One of the affordable castle set back in its 1990s, where castle was at its peak. I never had a chance to own this set, and looking back right now, I do wish I could own multiple sets of this to create knights formation in my kingdom. Thanks for sharing, and I have added this review to the index. :classic:

This was my very first castle set and I still love it! Reading this review made me all nostalgic.

Excellent review and I completely agree.

I was lucky enough to spot 10 of these on clearance for £1 each about 4 years ago - needless to say I snapped them all up. Still counts as one of my top lego finds - thanks for the review which revived a happy Lego memory!

cheers,

timbutnice

This was one of my first Castle-sets, too, and it gave me many great pieces to play and build with. It was really a very useful little set, this one. :wink:

I'm not sure any more, but I think this was the first castle set I had with the ghost that glows in the dark after holding it under a lamp. I really wanted that ghost, because it was something new at that time. It's really a nice set. The only problem is that you can attach the ghost's "house" to other castles on only one side unless you remove the plate with clip that holds the lance. However, it is not a big deal to remove it, of course! :wink:

Edited by legotrainfan

What a great set! Lego just doen't make sets like this anymore. This was one of those numerous Castle sets that I missed during my Dark Ages.

Nice review :thumbup:

PS. This made my Top 13 Ghostly Set List back in 2006. Great set!

13spookysets.jpg

Nice review! :thumbup:

I want this set... I remember seeing it MIB (box crushed and opened but plastic bag(s) still intact) in a charity shop for only 10 SEK (around 0.8$). I didn´t have money with me, but of course I ran home for my wallet. However, when I came back to the shop, it was gone... :sadnew:

Great Review!!! Thanks so much for the trip down memory lane!

One of my all time faves, I still remeber buying it from Toys R Us. Love that ghost.

This was one of my earliest Castle sets. I didn't get many because I got more into Pirates and such...

It's a nice little set though, with a rare part (the ghost shroud). The doors and hinges are also quite useful, and it comes with a knight on a horse! Lego horses seem somewhat rarer these days...

I'm happy that you've liked my review. Other users here have set very high standarts for what a review should look like. :sweet:

timbutnice - So, you have 10 of this set? Lucky you! :thumbup:

This was also one of my earliest sets. I recall having 2 of these just because I liked the ghost so much. :classic:

Why can't TLG make something like this nowadays? I'm kinda sick of small sets having some kind of siege weapon.

Nice review. I like the set for the pieces.

Doors: always useful

Horse: to build up an army on horses is great

ghost: Theres always a place for the ghost

Knight: who dosen't like more minifigures.

Good review. I was hoping to nab one of these off eBay but they go for a bit more than I wish to pay.

Why can't TLG make something like this nowadays? I'm kinda sick of small sets having some kind of siege weapon.

I agree but children nowadays like siege weapons and conflicts, or so I guess.