Set name: Dump Truck

Theme: City/Construction

Pieces: 185

Minifigs: 1 Construction Worker

Price: EUR 19.99 / ? GBP / 19.99 USD

Year of release: 2009

Bricklink Catalog

Brickshelf Folder

Adding the the growing subtheme of construction this Dump Truck will surely hit many dirt roads in kids' rooms around the globe.

It's yellow and carry boulders - what's not to like about it?

Box Front

7631.jpg

A nice picture with a good background, binding the dirty construction work to the town.

"Yeehaaa! Let's fetch'em boulders for the construction site mateee!"

"Yehaaaaaaa! That's a 10-4"

"Yehaaa! Over & Out"

"Yehaa"

Back of the Box

dumper003.jpg

Some nice pictures showing the Dump Truck from different angles and the unloading of boulders.

Also depicts the 2 polybags within the box and how they are divided into two build sessions.

Box side

dumper005.jpg

More neat box art for us to enjoy.

The polybags and instruction

dumptruck012.jpg

2 Numbered polybags, single booklet instruction and a small stickersheet.

Instructions

dumper006.jpg

dumper009.jpg

dumper007.jpg

For once it's fairly easy to distinguish between light-grey, dark-grey and black.

Easy to follow and the subdivision of the build into two bags really eases the build.

And bearing in mind that this is a set aged 5-12, then it's very suitable.

One could mix all the bricks to make the build a little more challenging.

The end pages has some interesting pictures/playscenes from the subthemes; construction & farm.

dumper011.jpg

dumper012.jpg

Inventory pages

dumper014.jpg

dumper016.jpg

(Better resolution pictures can be found in the brickshelf folder when public)

Same ol' same ol' AC-Nielsen

dumper018.jpg

Sticker Sheet

dumptruck015.jpg

7631 numberings for the Dump Truck (I did not use those)

Red/white stripes for the fence.

Constructionwork ahead!-sign. - Gotta love that minifig and his shovel :wub:

The build - Bag One

dumptruck013.jpg

dumper021.jpg

dumper020.jpg

dumper019.jpg

A smooth ride describes transforming Bag One's parts into: a roadsign, 2 boulders, the driver, the fence, 2 orange warning lamps and the wheelless Dump Truck chassis and cabin.

Guided by the easy step by step instruction, this is a build quickly done.

The Dump Truck has plenty of greeble and the design is near perfect in the transaction from "real life" to "minifig size". I may be wrong, but this is just my humble opinion :tongue:

Personal favourites are:

1: The engine front, grill and exhaust.

2: The side-view mirrors.

3: The roof not being the hinged type.

dumper035.jpg

dumper036.jpg

This is a very neat way to do the roofing, I am getting tired of those hinged roofs and this is a good solution.

Doors would have been better, but this'll do just fine.

The build - Bag Two

dumptruck014.jpg

dumper023.jpg

Again a smooth build. The chassis is finished and the tipper function and top is added.

The sides are nealty designed ands the overall look is very smooth :thumbup:

dumper026.jpg

dumper027.jpg

dumper028.jpg

dumper029.jpg

dumper030.jpg

dumper024.jpg

dumper025.jpg

Is this a new wheel? I don't recall seeing it before?

The Truckdriver

dumper001.jpg

A classic by now. One thing that puzzles me is where to keep his black shovel when driving?

The Dump Truck

dumper031.jpg

dumper032.jpg

dumper033.jpg

dumper034.jpg

The Dump Truck in all it's glory.

Talk about playability :classic:

The verdict:

8/10 Price - a good set for the money.

8/10 Parts - a wide selection of useable yellow. 6 wheels, boulders, plates and so on.

9/10 Design - "Smoooth 10-4"

10/10 Playability - It tips, it turns, it rocks :thumbup:

10/10 Coherence - Perfect. This will melt right in along the rest of the construction sub-theme sets.

45/50 All in all - A Classic Town Vehicle is born.

Edited by WhiteFang
Review added to index

Nice review, Kim!

I think the new city sets are great, especially the smaller ones, but (un)fortunately there is so many sets coming out this year, that I would rather buy.

I find it to be rather starnge that we have the january 2009 sets in the stockroom at the Toysrus where I work, but we are not allowed to sell them before December 29th. Yet they are for sale at so many other places.

Nice review, Kim!

I think the new city sets are great, especially the smaller ones, but (un)fortunately there is so many sets coming out this year, that I would rather buy.

I find it to be rather starnge that we have the january 2009 sets in the stockroom at the Toysrus where I work, but we are not allowed to sell them before December 29th. Yet they are for sale at so many other places.

This one I found in Germany.

I am at my In-Laws for the holiday and crossed the border for some cheap booze and candy :grin: when I stumbled on this and the 8401 City People.

This one I found in Germany.

I am at my In-Laws for the holiday and crossed the border for some cheap booze and candy :grin: when I stumbled on this and the 8401 City People.

Yeah, thats one fo the great things about Germany :classic: .

I even told my boss, that the sets are out in a lot of other countries, which made him quite puzzeled, becuase apparently its TLC who has chosen this release date. He also told me that TLC are threatening with fines if they sell them before this date.

Nice review! I do think that the stickers add a lot to the truck, but since they're so small, it doesn't take away too much when they're not present.

Just found a lonely one on the shelf for just 15 EUR! A sale here, that's almost impossible! So I'm very happy that I bought it. A great set with some great pieces.

dumper024.jpg

dumper025.jpg

Is this a new wheel? I don't recall seeing it before?

Same wheels as the big coastguard 4x4 (which I switched the wheels of onto my modified Agents Gold Chase off-roader - it should have had them from the start).

Nice review, and this does look like a well designed set. I was tempted when I saw it in Munich recently while I was there - but I have other sets to get.

One thing that puzzles me is where to keep his black shovel when driving?

Behind his chair is a small space, I use it to keep his shovel. Works well and you can get it out without having to put off the roof.

Nice job, KimT! I like the design of this set pretty much. One of the better looking dump trucks which I have ever seen, since Classic Town. By the way, I have indexed your review. :tongue:

Very nice and detailed review KimT!

One thing I found distracting was all the busy backgrounds in the photos. I can see you attempted to cut as much out as possible, though I prefer a couple of pieces of plain cardboard. This helps to foocus the attention on the set instead of surroundings.

Otherwise a sweet set.

Cheers :classic:

One thing I found distracting was all the busy backgrounds in the photos. I can see you attempted to cut as much out as possible, though I prefer a couple of pieces of plain cardboard. This helps to foocus the attention on the set instead of surroundings.

Erhmm...yes.

But this was done during Christmas at my In-Laws house.

I am not sure my Mother-In-Law would find it very amusing had I redecorated her office and workspace.

But I'll keep that in mind next time :laugh:

Thanks for all your friendly comments.

"10-4"