• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

5373.jpg

Introcomment:

This is one of the most spoken about Castle sets on Eurobricks. The other being the brother/sister set 5372 Skeleton Chariot (which I'll be reviewing next). In order to de-mysitfy this set, I ordered all the needed parts and here's the result.

Enjoy the review and feel free to comment on this small never released impulse-like set. 20 pieces and a minifig, that's gotten so much attention, that we might be missing the point of the reason for this never being released :grin:

Set information as I could dig it up around the net:

Set#: 5373

Theme: Castle

Set Name: Knight & Catapult

Pieces: 20 + minifig according to Bricklink

Release: 2008, except it was never released

Price: unknown USD / unknown EUR / unknown GBP

Links: My 5373 Brickshelf folder Bricklink Reference Catalog Peeron.com Brickset.com

Bricklink Inventory

5373clean.jpg

The-box-that-never-was-view

A neatly designed box art. Not much to say about it. It basically shows the 20 pieces and the minifig in the set. Would you buy a Castle impulse set that looked like this? I would. Wouldt you buy a "regular" Castle set that looked like this = price tag a little higher than the impulses, between the 7009 Final Joust/7090 Crossbow Attack and the impulse wave? I am not so sure I would.

instructions.jpg

Instructions picture

A full page of instructions... But what's to be expected with a set this small?

As usual it's a little difficult being sure of when the intention is that one should use black or dark-grey parts. This is easily solved though, since the set only has 20 pieces. If in doubt then all the pieces have their 7 digit LEGO code and tapping that into the PaB-online shows you the exact piece (given that's it's in the database and that it's not black or dark-grey, because it's impossible to see which is which there :tongue:)

Instructions link

SET PICTURES:

barrel.jpg

A barrel full of weapons. The knight surely has a lot to pick between, were he ever to skip catapulting the enemy and try out some ol' skool melee. (Bear in mind that he's also got his trusy sword and helmet close to him at all times). Defense is apparently of the essense here. :laugh:

cata01.jpg

Side view of the catapult. Small and deadly at short ranges.

Who wouldn't fear a saucepan that launches big concrete rounded pellets?

cata02.jpg

Another shot of this small "Machine of Mayhem".

How does he move it around with no wheels on it?

Must be a strong fella.

Dragging around a catapult and a barrel of weapons.

stuff.jpg

For cooking and for toiletries.

No further comments...

knight.jpg

"Tadaa!" The hero to be. Smirk on his face, armed and with the trusty "pot" on his head.

Is this the face of death from above? I'd expect a more grim man to handle such a machine.

Perhaps a little older and with a grey stubble.

(and more of a belly)

pin.jpg

Why did they add this in tan? Pearl silver or grey would suit as metal bar or even brown as wooden bar.

Why tan, is that to resemble a de-barked piece of wood?

weapons.jpg

As mentioned earlier, a lot of weapons is included.

Great additions to the ever-growing army of Crownies.

set.jpg

And to finish it all off, a picture of the entire set.

Scores:

9/10 Design - Overall a fairly well designed set. Not much to complain about there. The catapult could surely be worse.

8/10 Playability - Loads of playability given the working catapult and weaponry. But where's the Enemy?

7/10 Parts & Price - A neat collection of useable parts, no known price makes it hard to either justify or give any critical comments.

Total: 24/30

:classic::classic::classic::classic::hmpf_bad: / :classic::classic::classic::classic::classic:

This would have made an excellent Impulse Pack set... Yes it lacks an enemy but that is quite common with Impulse Packs, I think you are supposed to buy two of them, one crownie and one sceleton pack.

The best aspect of this unreleased set is that it has so many weapons, except for the catapult that is: a sword, a crossbow, and a halberd :thumbup: .

Very good review, KimT.

A nice and cool set! Sad thing it never got released... :sadnew:

Edited by Nirdian

Very good review, KimT.

Thanks.

I hope to do the 5373 before I leave for the holidays.

If not then you'll just have to wait until New Year.

This is a neat little set, it has everything you could hope for: a minifig, weapons, a catapult. However, I can see a big reason that TLC may not sold this one: simply put a very similar item

was featured in the castle advent calendar

Edited by meschepers

This is a neat little set, it has everything you could hope for: a minifig, weapons, a catapult. However, I can see a big reason that TLC may not sold this one: simply put a very similar item was featured in the castle advent calendar

And this is the comparison of the two catapults:

Old and new side by side

comparison04.jpg

They do look alike, the only difference is the xmas colours featured on the 22nd of December's version.

Inventory

New X-mas version to the left and old version to the right.

comparison06.jpg

Very very similar.

Not much has changed here.

Only the ammo seems different.

The lack of the grey slope (roof topping) does make it harder to shoot the xmas catapult.

It has a tendency to fire directly into the ground, when there's nothing to stop the arm.

Which do you prefer?

The Santa Version?

comparison03.jpg

The Classic Version?

cata01.jpg

I didn't even see they consisted out of the same bricks, so nice find guys :thumbup: .

Cute TLG produced them in Christmas colors and its good they put it in the advent calendar, but I like the 'classic' version more, so I am still sorry they didn't release this Impulse pack.

Thanks for the comparison, KimT, you are doing a wonderfull job here!